DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drone life. Any suggestions for places?

who231983

Reactions
Hello everyone. I'm new this hobby and I started off a week ago with an affordable drone from marketplace. It was a great drone for the three days it lasted. It decided to fly away to the horizon and never be seen again. Because of this experience I decided to get a magic air 2. Wow mind blown. Also this hobby has got me smiling alot lately. This is.suprising because my smile was effectively wiped out by the pandemic. Any suggestions for locations tips would.be appreciated.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Hello Who231983:

Welcome to our forum & congratulations on your 2nd drone! I also fly an MA2 (my first drone). You asked for suggestions about where to fly - I noticed your location as San Jacinto, CA. Looking at a public lands overlay on GAIAGPS it appears you may have vast amounts of public lands within reasonable driving distance (BLM to the north and San Bernadino National Forest to the east). In general you can fly almost anywhere in BLM and National Forest lands but National Parks are much more restricted (my default assumption is flying prohibited in National Parks) and National Monuments somewhere in between.

It can be helpful to distinguish between from where you can pilot your drone from where the drone can go while in flight. Piloting is a terrestrial activity subject to local laws and regulations while where the drone can legally go is an aerial activity basically governed by the FAA here in the USA. Of course where the drone can go while in flight is legally tied to the piloting location by the Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) rule.

Another aspect of where to fly is how you wish to contribute to the image of drones and drone pilots held by the general public (mostly non pilots with a possibly distorted view of how drones affect them). A strictly legal interpretation of where you can fly might have a drone or pilot acting completely within their current legal restrictions but annoying neighbors or others enough that future laws restrict our activities further - as in the case of current proposals for new laws in Mississippi.

My personal approach is to fly away from other folks so that I don’t impinge on their potential desires for solitude or privacy. However, I’m lucky in that I live in New Mexico where our population density is low and I have lots of state and federal public land available to me.

Have fun and keep your questions coming!

Howard

Welcome to the forum! For flying spots, I always look for water features or mountains first. Having only driven through your town, Im guessing you’re right between both of these beautiful locations...enjoy!

Hello everyone. I'm new this hobby and I started off a week ago with an affordable drone from marketplace. It was a great drone for the three days it lasted. It decided to fly away to the horizon and never be seen again. Because of this experience I decided to get a magic air 2. Wow mind blown. Also this hobby has got me smiling alot lately. This is.suprising because my smile was effectively wiped out by the pandemic. Any suggestions for locations tips would.be appreciated.
Wide open spaces with little in the way. Football, baseball, soccer fields on public parks are your best bet, preferably without people using them ?

Check the regs if you live in a big city for each park.

Happy learning.

Welcome to the forum from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado! Happy and safe flying!

I started off a week ago with an affordable drone from marketplace. It was a great drone for the three days it lasted. It decided to fly away to the horizon and never be seen again.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland who231983.

Cheap drones are easy to fly away.

DJI drones tend to find the way home, provided the home point has been established before launch.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?
Thank you so much. Everyone's seems very kind here. I'm looking forward to spending more time flying and posting here to share with you all

This is good to hear. I flew the Mavic Yesterday and was worried it will fly away. It's all I could think of so I felt a little anxious flying.lol I feel reassured that with the proper safety precautions, I should be fine with the Mavic air 2. Thank you so much

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11