DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drone, which one sub 250gr?

baloobb

Reactions
Hi all,

It's Marco! I am thinking to buy my first drone, I am from London. I found this amazing forum and I would like to ask your help to take my decision.

My options:
Mavic mini combo second hand 260£ with 1 year of warranty
Mini 2 new 360£

I know the pros and cons, I am not interested in 4k because I don't have a pc to edit it, raw could be good to have but it's not a big deal for me.

The main thing for me is does it worth spend 100£ more for a brand new drone with only one battery? Or it's better to go with the Mavic mini and 3 batteries?

Thanks for anyone who can help

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

I would definitely go with the Mini 2 ... this mainly for 2 reasons.

1. It uses Occysync instead of Enhanced WiFi ... meaning a much more reliable connection to the craft in WiFi interfered environments.

2. A higher max speed which makes it less prone to blowaway's as it can fight stronger winds.

These 2 differences isn't marginal ... they are major & will definitely affect your later thinking about your investment.

Where are you seeing a 2nd hand Mavic Mini (MM) with 1 year warranty for £260? Do not give the exact address otherwise you might have competition but if I were you I would be inclined to verify the existance of the warranty.

I am suspect that my 'take' will be contrary to the popular one but I find the MM adequate to good if flown with its limitations in mind i.e. when I suspect the wind will be consistently strong I don't fly it. However I do have the advantage of a better drone for windy conditions so I am not limited to only the MM.
So far, when my MM has been caught in a squall, I have been able to either descend into slower wind or ride out the 'blow away' and no, I have never been in a situation where I was beginning to worry about getting it back.

I am NOT disputing that the added speed and wind resistance of the 2 is an advantage and unexpected winds can occur but I would suggest that planned flights where the advantage would be considered necessary are a bad idea. For either drone I would suggest you read up on how to deal with blow aways and the effect of gimbal tilt on the maximum available flight speed when in wind less than "strong".

With regards to Occusync, I do not dispute that it is an advantage both in terms of maximum range and surety of the connection in areas of interference and I do not fly over built up areas FULL STOP. But with my MM I can normally get to, and beyond, the limit of my VLOS, 400m to 600m depending on the background etc.. No I do not make a habit of flying beyond my VLOS and as far as I know VLOS is still the legal requirement in the UK.
So far the only times I have had the connection weaken when closer than my VLOS was in light mist/drizzle and possibly (vague memory) a significant number of trees 'in the way' though I still had VLOS.
I have had my MM out to 2km at a height of 20m or so over open sea and it lost connection slightly over 2km but regained it as it climbed during RTH.

Other considerations, I am pretty certain that if you go for the Mini 2 with only one battery you will soon be looking for additional batteries and a multi battery charger and probably a charger.

The 2 has another advantage that I haven't seen mentioned so far, the much greater battery capacity in the controller but that only becomes significant if you have multiple batteries and use an Android screen device. Conversely I think the increased size of the controller is a slight disadvantage.

All the above said if I were a newbie I would probably opt for the mini 2 but the flymore kit rather than just the drone and 1 battery. At a rough calculation 2 additional batteries, the charging hub, a charger and the bag are £170ish bought separately vs a £120ish increase (going by the current normal UK retail prices) if you bought a flymore.
That said, your "£360 new" is a very good price but is it from a UK retailer? Be wary of import duties if 'foreign'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Welcome to the forum!

I’ll join the group recommending the Mini 2, for all the reasons already stated. You can always buy more batteries later. It’s better than having three batteries and a blown-away, lost Mini.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Please share your pictures, videos and knowledge about your drones.

Never go back. Mini 2 is still receiving updates and I would be surprised if they make anymore for the Mini.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup
Ocusync is the way to go! Good luck with your choice!?

Hi all,

It's Marco! I am thinking to buy my first drone, I am from London. I found this amazing forum and I would like to ask your help to take my decision.

My options:
Mini 2 new 360£

I know the pros and cons, I am not interested in 4k because I don't have a pc to edit it, raw could be good to have but it's not a big deal for me.

The main thing for me is does it worth spend 100£ more for a brand new drone with only one battery? Or it's better to go with the Mavic mini and 3 batteries?

The difference is like chalk and cheese as they say. The Mini 2 is far far superior to the original MM in almost every respect:
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance scale level 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr) due to new motors.
3. Digital zoom feature. Up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Future update may allow the Smart controller to be used with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
22. Improved Quickshots. Dronie goes back further etc
23. Pano added
24. Front light (different colours available).
25. The remote works with the Mavic Air 2 as well.
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.
27. The yaw sensitivity can be adjusted in all 3 flight modes.

Hi all,

My options:
Mini 2 new 360£

I'd buy the MM2 all day / every day. Features for future far outweigh what you don't use today. You'll find flying and videoing in RAW will use up a ton of hard drive space - even if you shoot at 1080p. I rarely shoot in 4k now with my Air2, as it does use up so much space and when you post to YouTube, FB, or other social media sites - it won't be noticeable if you shoot in 1080p. That being said - you can always shoot in 4k / RAW and downgrade to a lower standard for posting, while you CAN'T UPGRADE from 1080p to 4k or from JPEG to RAW.

4k is more for the pro's and those whom do commercial work - yet WE ALL LOVE to have high specs just in case.

I know the pros and cons
Go with the drone that best meets your needs then.

The main thing for me is does it worth spend 100£ more for a brand new drone with only one battery?
While the Mavic Mini might look like the Mini 2, these drones are really night and day. I'd take the Mini 2 over the Mavic Mini any day.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji