DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones and need help picking one out

fadetoblack72

Reactions
Hi,
I posted in the phantom group and someone suggested looking into a mavic I have a few questions.
I’m looking to spend $200-400. I want to be able to take video and I don’t need to be doing any stunts. I’d like it to be able to fly for a bit and have some distance. I’m not sure how far drones can be from the remote. I found a mavic mini on eBay for 270. Is that model a good one? Is that a good price?

similar boat as you and ended up going with the mavic mini fly more combo to start.

ive personally been having an absolute blast flying it around, and you can grab this package thru amazon warehouse (lightly used) for just over $200. they pop up somewhat often.. just have to keep an eye out.

hard to beat given the price point if you're just getting the toes wet, in my opinion. and if you wanted to sell it... you probably won't lose much on it, if at all.

the mini 2 is a lot better in all regards, and its the one im ultimately after, but with a mini 3 potentially coming out next month.. the mini 1 fills the void while i wait to see if the mini 2 drops in price.

Reactions: fadetoblack72
Is that the mini se?
The mini se is an up graded mini
Flys better in the wind but still uses the mini controller.
Very easy to fly . The mini 2 has a better controler for distance.
Less signal drop.
There are a lot of videos on YouTube on each mini the mini, mini 2 and mini se
When you search type DJI mini
Just Chang the type of mini .
DJI mini, dji mini se, dji mini 2
Whatch all you can it will help you
See what you are looking to get.
I hope this can help you

I would spend on the Mini 2 if its in your budget.... go for a Mini SE if its too much for your pocket. Both of these models have improved wind capabilities over the original Mini. They have stronger motors, more powerful batteries and props that do not easily deform in storage,

Many original Minis have been lost because of prop deformation. The bent props wouldn't provide enough lift and the drone would fall out of the sky.

The mini se is an up graded mini
Flys better in the wind but still uses the mini controller.
Very easy to fly . The mini 2 has a better controler for distance.
Less signal drop.
There are a lot of videos on YouTube on each mini the mini, mini 2 and mini se
When you search type DJI mini
Just Chang the type of mini .
DJI mini, dji mini se, dji mini 2
Whatch all you can it will help you
See what you are looking to get.
I hope this can help you
Thanks!! I’ll check out the videos. The dji website is nice but there’s no way to compare that I found and it’s quite confusing. They have the mavic series, then the air series, then there’s the mavic air lol. They need a simple comparison tool! Maybe I’m just missing it.

I would spend on the Mini 2 if its in your budget.... go for a Mini SE if its too much for your pocket. Both of these models have improved wind capabilities over the original Mini. They have stronger motors, more powerful batteries and props that do not easily deform in storage,

Many original Minis have been lost because of prop deformation. The bent props wouldn't provide enough lift and the drone would fall out of the sky.
Is the mavic mini any good? I just saw one for cheaper than the mini 2 while I was searching and I’m wondering if it’s better or worse than the mini, or maybe it’s the same model.

Is the mavic mini any good? I just saw one for cheaper than the mini 2 while I was searching and I’m wondering if it’s better or worse than the mini, or maybe it’s the same model.
I would buy either the Mini 2 or the Mini SE...... The DJI Mavic Mini / DJI Mini had issues that can only be overcome by buying the models that came after. We are only talking about a few dollars extra to give yourself a much better proiduct

The big difference is the mini size doesn't need to be registered.
The bigger ones will be easier to see when flying.

I know that the Mini2 and the Air2 are both rated for roughly the same wind tolerance, but I remember someone on the forum (that had both) noting that, in the real world, the Air2 was superior in wind. I had the original Mini and had a lot of fun but, around here, I found too many days that I couldn’t fly because of the wind. Not so with the Air2. Buy refurbished. There’s a refurbished Mini2 Fly More Combo on eBay for $479 and an Air2 refurbished for $750 and an Air2s for $999, just to get you thinking about pricing. Best wishes.

Last edited:
in the higher end you might be able to find a Mavic Pro. It handles the wind just fine and as it has some size VLOS is about 1800+feet. The software is also easily modified using NLD. I have 2 of them and they are awesome

Hi,
I posted in the phantom group and someone suggested looking into a mavic I have a few questions.
I’m looking to spend $200-400. I want to be able to take video and I don’t need to be doing any stunts. I’d like it to be able to fly for a bit and have some distance. I’m not sure how far drones can be from the remote. I found a mavic mini on eBay for 270. Is that model a good one? Is that a good price?
I would personally spend the extra and buy the mini 2.

Reactions: Gary R and Dbez1
Yes but no Ocusync. That somewhat limits signal strength and makes it more sensitive to interference, especially around heavily populated areas. .
Shouldn't be a problem in my case. When I fly across the canyon, there are no people, no structures, no wires, nuthin'.

:)

TCS

Good morning to all-
Well, brother, when it comes to starting out with drones, there are at least a couple of ways you can go.- cheap or a little more expensive
I started out cheap and learned a lot from flying- and wrecking- my non- DJI starter drones. It seems that if you can keep one of those "other" brand drones in the sir and under control, you will have absolutely no problems flying a DJI product- they are just that much superior in control and operation.
I bought my son a Mini for Christmas and he is having a lot of fun with it- works fine for him. I bought myself a Mini 2, and to be honest, my "other" drones have not been used much since.
So, you can learn on a cheaper "other" brand drone, but I am willing to bet that if you stay with the drone game, you'll try a DJI and then you'll buy a DJI product.
And my advice? spend the 430 bucks and get a Mini 2- it is a great little drone, easy to fly, easy to control, and it will do more than many drones much higher in price.

And good luck with your drone thing- it does get pretty addictive pretty soon.

good day to all- Ed

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser