DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones; in Canada does it still make sense to buy a 250+?

patk2

Reactions
Hi guys,

I'm curious of your thoughts on this. I would like to buy a drone - mostly for fun and photography. The MA2 is probably what fits my needs the most. However, I'm turned off by all the restrictions we have in the country. It seems like it may be quite the hassle to do anything with it. In the current legal climate, do you think the mini is a better choice - despite its limitations?

Reactions: Hauptmann
Hi guys,

I'm curious of your thoughts on this. I would like to buy a drone - mostly for fun and photography. The MA2 is probably what fits my needs the most. However, I'm turned off by all the restrictions we have in the country. It seems like it may be quite the hassle to do anything with it. In the current legal climate, do you think the mini is a better choice - despite its limitations?

I went from MA1 to Mini and now I have the MA2. Yes it is definitely worth it to get the MA2 and deal with the “regulations.”

I have a Basic license at the moment and I can always find a spot to fly and abide by all the rules. I’m planning to take a course and eventually get the Advanced down the road.

In my opinion I think we actually have it pretty good compared to other places in the world.

Get the MA2 and your Basic license, you won’t regret it.

I went from MA1 to Mini and now I have the MA2. Yes it is definitely worth it to get the MA2 and deal with the “regulations.”

I have a Basic license at the moment and I can always find a spot to fly and abide by all the rules. I’m planning to take a course and eventually get the Advanced down the road.

In my opinion I think we actually have it pretty good compared to other places in the world.

Get the MA2 and your Basic license, you won’t regret it.
Both my drones are above 250g and I haven’t had any problems with restrictions. There are apps like UAV Forecast, AirMap, and Transport Canada’s Site Selection Tool that can help you find places legal to fly.

Good luck,

Chris

Hi guys,

The Mini is awesome! It's so good that I almost immediately bought a Mavic Pro. ? Seriously, that thing can fly!

If you fly the Mini outside and you have the prop guards on it, it'll weigh more than 250g and you'll need to be licensed and it will need to be registered. :eek:

Fly without prop guards and you risk pruning of one of the trees in your sister-in-law's yard. (not that I would know anything about that)

The Basic exam is not terribly difficult. There are a number of questions on it that don't apply to rotary wing drones but the exam is for anyone flying remote controlled aircraft. The exam costs $10. It's 35 questions, you have an hour to complete it, and it's open book (including being allowed to do online searches). There are a couple of PDF documents you'll want to have open and ready to search, as well. When you get your results, it tells you what areas you got wrong, so that you can be better prepared for your next try. If you fail, you can try again after 24 hours. A really good starting point is to look at the Don Drone On Youtube channel for his study guides.

Registering your over-250g drone costs $5.00, and the registration never expires.

The 'restrictions' in Canada pretty much boil down to don't fly in a way that endangers people or property. Don't fly too close to any airports, prisons, jails, military bases or other places that are typically off-limits to the general public. Don't fly too close to people. Don't transport dangerous goods (or live animals) with your drone. Keep out of the way of aircraft that have people in them. Don't fly over advertised events like outdoor concerts. Don't fly where there are emergency operations underway.

Unlike the US, for example, we don't need a special licence to fly non-recreational missions. The Basic certificate allows us to fly commercial missions, although we are more limited in how close we can fly to people and certain kinds of airspace. If we have Advanced certification and are planning a mission that would usually be against the rules (e.g. an advertised event, flying in support of emergency services), we can apply for permission (Special Flight Operations Certificate).

I have friends whose drone have become inoperable because they were so worried about the exam that they put the drones away and now the batteries are now so dead they won't take a charge (and new ones are impossible to find).

Even if you never go with a drone that has a takeoff weight of 250g or more, just go for the certificate - preparing for it will help you get a better understanding of flying and flight safety.

I was thinking the same thing just a few weeks ago but then decided to go with the MA2. My reasons were, as a photographer, I needed RAW and I was worried about the lack of stability in relatively light winds for the mini. The MA2 also has additional quickshots that will be useful in a shoot. Im not shooting bystanders so I can get close to the models.

To be honest,the federal requirements aren't an issue for me. I got my basic license with no studying. I watched 3 videos online (google Don Drone's on) and passed the exam with 88%. I just googled most of the questions. The questions are so specific and random that no amount of studying would have helped. Just google the questions - its open book (open internet in fact).

The municipal regulations (in most major cities and even many rural towns) are the ones that prevent any drone from being used in a parc - even if you comply with federal regulations. These apply to the mini also, as do restrictions from flying in national parks. If you fly the mini near people, you can still be charged for putting people,'s safety at risk. If you fly near homes, privacy laws kick in. All it takes is one complaint from the neighbours.

I am joining a local RC club so I can learn to use my drone safely and efficiently without worrying about getting fined by bylaw.

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann in the friendly skies of Texas!

TC regs can be difficult, but we have many, many members in Canada who can help you wend your way through them. Whichever drone you choose, be sure to read your manual, and practice using "Find My Drone". As easy to fly as DJI drones are, you stand a good chance (close to 100%) of crashing and perhaps losing your drone. Don't wait til this happens before trying to learn (under less than ideal circumstances), how to recover it.

Happy Flying. Glad to have you with us!

Reactions: kevbac
Hi guys,

The pilot license is not a big deal as I see it. $10 and a couple of hours is all it took me. Ther might actually be something that you didn't know ..... SW Ontario

Reactions: kevbac
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica