DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones intimidation!

cjhc

Reactions
Hi all,
I just got my first drone, Mavic Air. I am nervous with all of the settings in the DJI go app and reading here about so many problems! Does anyone have an Air that has had no troubles? Thanks

Reactions: Ds67888
first off down load the manual and absorb the info in it, one of the great things about DJI drones, is the fact that many of the flying parameters for controlling the drone can be fine tuned in the app ,but with that ability it is possible to cause issues if you do not know what a particular setting does ,dont change any of these settings till you fully understand what effect they have on how it flies,start off in beginner mode until you get confident in controlling your drone, if possible find someone local to give you help and advice on the different settings also there are some good vids on the internet and of course come on the forum and ask for advice

Loving my Air since i fly it from day 1.
Along the way, a couple of ‘hiccups’ . I learnt from it, and still learning from the more experience guys here.

My advice for u is, try understand the settings/functions more, you will gain more confidence.
To be frank, the settings/functions are not that difficult to understand, however mastering it, needs a lot time and experience. In short, the more u fly it, the more confident u will be.

Go ahead! Let it fly, if too much worries and not flying it much, why ‘invest’ a expensive drone in the first place right?
Just my 2cents.

Good luck pal! [emoji846]
Enjoy ! Looking forward for your footage post!

Hi all,
I just got my first drone, Mavic Air. I am nervous with all of the settings in the DJI go app and reading here about so many problems! Does anyone have an Air that has had no troubles? Thanks
I have been flying DJI drones since 2013 and haven't had any issues to date (knock on wood). I've owned the Phantom 1.1.1, Phantom 3 Advanced, Spark, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual, Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 1 Pro. DJI makes a quality product, follow a pre-flight checklist, know your surroundings and get to know your equipment. The Mavic Air is an excellent machine.

first off down load the manual and absorb the info in it, one of the great things about DJI drones, is the fact that many of the flying parameters for controlling the drone can be fine tuned in the app ,but with that ability it is possible to cause issues if you do not know what a particular setting does ,dont change any of these settings till you fully understand what effect they have on how it flies,start off in beginner mode until you get confident in controlling your drone, if possible find someone local to give you help and advice on the different settings also there are some good vids on the internet and of course come on the forum and ask for advice
Thanks! I have a couple of questions, one is can I power on the RC and familiarize myself with the icons without powering the drone? and second, I found a label on the drone with wifi SSID and password. what do I use those for?

Reactions: ZX14-R
I have been flying DJI drones since 2013 and haven't had any issues to date (knock on wood). I've owned the Phantom 1.1.1, Phantom 3 Advanced, Spark, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual, Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 1 Pro. DJI makes a quality product, follow a pre-flight checklist, know your surroundings and get to know your equipment. The Mavic Air is an excellent machine.
Hi, thanks for the response! What is the purpose for the wifi SSID and password on my craft? Do I have to enter that somewhere, DJI go 4 app?

Hi, thanks for the response! What is the purpose for the wifi SSID and password on my craft? Do I have to enter that somewhere, DJI go 4 app?

That's all in the manual :)
Basically yes, to connect controller to the Air.
You should only have to enter it once.

Another post on here could be good for you . . . posted up just now by another member here . . .

Reactions: gvsukids
the wifi SSID is to enable you to control the drone from a phone or tablet using WIFI it gives you a restricted distance and height similar to beginner mode you do not need the controller to use this feature

if you want to familiarise yourself with the app make sure to have everything charged up leave the props off the drone and make sure you have removed the gimbal locks have it sitting arms extended and go through the start up procedure until everything is turned on and linked then you can look through the different icons in the app and set your preferences dont worry if the fans in the drone or the controller start this is quite normal if it is fairly hot where you are you can employ a cooling fan to assist with this process have the manual handy to refer to so you can see what the icons do

Reactions: gvsukids and cjhc
the wifi SSID is to enable you to control the drone from a phone or tablet using WIFI it gives you a restricted distance and height similar to beginner mode you do not need the controller to use this feature

if you want to familiarise yourself with the app make sure to have everything charged up leave the props off the drone and make sure you have removed the gimbal locks have it sitting arms extended and go through the start up procedure until everything is turned on and linked then you can look through the different icons in the app and set your preferences dont worry if the fans in the drone or the controller start this is quite normal if it is fairly hot where you are you can employ a cooling fan to assist with this process have the manual handy to refer to so you can see what the icons do
ah, got it! thanks for helping! can I play with the RC to familiarize myself with it without powering up the drone?

I was worried about hearing the cooling fan having the drone sitting in front of me on the table while I was playing with the RC

i may have misled you i do not have a mavic air my answer was for a mavic pro platinum sorry if i have confused you, not sure how the air is connected to your screen does it have a cable from the controller to your screen if it does then it is the same as the MPP sorry

Last edited:
Yes, wifi for Air (and Spark) is to connect controller and aircraft.
Why the Air and Spark have a more limited range, and at distance you can lose visual / have patchy visual signal to your device.

With my MP (and MPP), it's Occusync to aircraft, and is cable connected from controller to device.
You should be able to use a cable (as I do with my Spark) if you want, it seems better to me, but it could be a little physiological as I'm just used to it with the MP.

ah, got it! thanks for helping! can I play with the RC to familiarize myself with it without powering up the drone?

I was worried about hearing the cooling fan having the drone sitting in front of me on the table while I was playing with the RC

Need to have both on and connected if you want to play with settings etc.
Having the controller on by itself won't give you any real experiences.

Normal fan operation.
If you are worried about having it all fired up inside experimenting with settings etc, just remove the props, but be sure to fit them properly again.
You can start it without props on, not a lot of point, but you can just to try start / stop with sticks etc.

Reactions: Drgnfli
dear @ cjhc look at the thread, Mavic air after 18 months full-set up tutorial and more useful stuff

I have had zero problems with my Mavic Air! Sometimes the compass calibration can be annoying but it is a fantastic machine. Take your time and learn what it does and how it does it. Read and understand the manual.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929