DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones just purchased the Mavic Mini SE

Gene465

Reactions
Heya All, new to drones, flew helos (just forward flight), planes and flight simulator over a decade ago, currently running RC cars and trucks decided I wanted to get into drones so selected the Mini SE fly more combo as it came in for less than the mini 2. though that may drop after the Mini 3 comes out. lol I have already taken the Trust test and picked up the guards and extended landing gear for it. Just looking for general advice regarding set up and practicing. Really look forward to getting this next week. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
Suggestions? Ok...
You're new to this as we all were once. So crawl before you walk and walk before you run. There are lots of tales of big crashes on day one of flying. Learn to fly in open areas and stay away from objects of any kind. Give yourself LOTS of clearance between stuff. Absolutely keep your drone easily directly visible as you learn. I say at first spend 98% of your time watching your drone directly and use the phone screen as limited as possible until your fingers know how to make the drone do what you command it do- by muscle memory. As the DJI prosumer drones are basically flying cameras, look for interesting subject that you'd like to film from an aerial perspective.

Good luck

Welcome to the hobby.
There are lots of YouTube videos
On learning to fly also the mini 1 videos match your wifi transmitter
Type . Interference can affect your range. A great flyer Read all you can it helps.
As the other said you can lose it easy because of size . Have fun .

Reactions: Gene465 and GFields
Welcome!
Some things to consider:
- Make sure your RTH height is set correctly
- Be sure to have GPS (satellite icon should be white) before taking off
- Check the homepoint shortly after takeoff
- For first flights, set maximum height and distance, so it is not possible to fly far away and get scared (like I did)

Heya All, new to drones, flew helos (just forward flight), planes and flight simulator over a decade ago, currently running RC cars and trucks decided I wanted to get into drones so selected the Mini SE fly more combo as it came in for less than the mini 2. though that may drop after the Mini 3 comes out. lol I have already taken the Trust test and picked up the guards and extended landing gear for it. Just looking for general advice regarding set up and practicing. Really look forward to getting this next week. Thanks!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!​

Reactions: Gene465
I don't know how I forgot...
The RTH (return to home) button is your friend. There are going to be a lot of times when you'll somehow just lost sight and orientation of where your drone. Hit the RTH button and it will automatically start coming home to you. If you don't need to bring it back all the way to a landing, as soon as you see it again and feel comfortable taking control hit the RTH button again to cancel and then just take over manually. Even experienced pilots do this when needed. I do it all the time, if only for convenience of not having to fly it back manually.

Reactions: Gene465
Reactions: eva2000

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00