DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to Drones, Private Pilot

Reactions
Just got a Mavic Air and looking for any good guidance on starting tips to get proficient with the software and features. Flight controls are fine, but eventually looking to get better at good cinematography settings, etc. I've looked at plenty of videos already but like to know all aspects of the software, the implications of the features, control modes, etc. I readily watch videos on drone pilot or software mistakes, pitfalls, etc. so I am looking to learn from as many other people as I can so I don't have to make the same mistakes.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Reactions: citizendefenseusa
Take your time, "read the manual".
I'm sure that you understand airspace and how to fly safe but don't forget to register your aircraft, put your "tail number" and phone number on your aircraft
FAADroneZone

For video, get some ND filters, this is why you need them

Shutter Speed, Frame Rate and the 180° Rule

Welcome to the forum, these guys are super helpful and know just about everything. Try the search box first, if you can't find it just ask

Welcome to the forum! :)

What do you fly as a private pilot? I flew 1930s Taylorcrafts & a Beech Bonanza 20 ser#s away from the Buddy Holly died in. Cruised 185 on 10gph. I really miss it.

Just got a Mavic Air and looking for any good guidance on starting tips to get proficient with the software and features. Flight controls are fine, but eventually looking to get better at good cinematography settings, etc. I've looked at plenty of videos already but like to know all aspects of the software, the implications of the features, control modes, etc. I readily watch videos on drone pilot or software mistakes, pitfalls, etc. so I am looking to learn from as many other people as I can so I don't have to make the same mistakes.
Howdy from Wyoming welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Thanks, Mrmund! I was wondering about the ND filters so that will be helpful, Thanks for the video reference!

I do a lot of high speed video at work, and worked with Gavin Free from The Slow Mo Guys on a video production. He has a great video explaining that same 180-degree rule and some good discussion about it and related aperture information. Here's the link for anyone who might be interested. While he/we do a lot of high speed video it also corresponds to normal photography and video.

I've never messed with the ND filters because we have tons of lights to compensate for our crazy shutter speeds. I've never calculated the shutter angle before but just did. Mind you, it is high speed video of fast events, but the range from about 14 degrees to 57 degrees because of our ability to flood the subject with massive amounts of light.

Thanks for the dialogue & response!

Doug

Take your time, "read the manual".
I'm sure that you understand airspace and how to fly safe but don't forget to register your aircraft, put your "tail number" and phone number on your aircraft
FAADroneZone

For video, get some ND filters, this is why you need them

Shutter Speed, Frame Rate and the 180° Rule

Welcome to the forum, these guys are super helpful and know just about everything. Try the search box first, if you can't find it just ask

Hi Gr8ful,

I fly a Cessna 182 with an STC'd engine that takes it up to 270 hp from the 230 hp normal engine. It's a 1964 model. Previously, I flew our Cessna 172, which was a 1957 straight-tail that my dad restored fully. I've flown in a Taylorcraft before that had a climb prop, it was really nice for remote/short strips! I've never flown a Bonanza, but yeah, those things are beasts! And that's one impressive fuel burn rate for that kind of airspeed!

My dad's '57 172 was featured in several pilot/flying magazines before he sold it.

1546556882036.png

What do you fly as a private pilot? I flew 1930s Taylorcrafts & a Beech Bonanza 20 ser#s away from the Buddy Holly died in. Cruised 185 on 10gph. I really miss it.

Reactions: Mrmund
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929