DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to Drones

CBurley

Reactions
Hi everyone!

I am new here and completely new to drones. I have a mavic mini fly more combo being delivered tomorrow and I can’t even explain how excited I am.

I have also ordered the WRAPGRADE full body and accent wraps to aid with visibility of the drone whilst in flight.

I’m based in Portsmouth and was hoping for any beginners tips and help on how to start.

I used to be a professional photographer so have an understand of cameras and composition of images but no idea on flying them!

Thanks all in advance!!!

First, congratulations on your mini. I started with my quick start guide for my Mavic Pro along with the manual. Youtube has helpful videos like this
. You'll also find other beginners looking for the same help here so there are threads that will help you too. My first foray into flying
was some basic takeoffs to a low hover of about 3 feet keeping the drone close in front of me . gaining height and distance was done incrementally as I became more comfortable .Practice flying away from you at a short distance , turning the drone 180 degrees ( both to the right and left ) and flying back to you . As that progressed , after studying the controls for camera use , I started taking photos.
Your photography background will serve you well and provide some nice camera work that would be nice if you posted here for all to see.
You should be getting more posts to this thread. I'm thankful for the help I received here.

Thanks guys! All help is much appreciated. I’m gutted that we are forecast yet another storm over this weekend so I may have to spend the next few days researching before I can actually get outside

Reactions: old man mavic
Welcome. Hope you love your new drone. My advice would be to read all you can about flying your drone. This forum is a great resource, and the people here are always willing to help out.
I would download some weather apps like Kittyhawk, or UAV Forecast, in fact I use both to check the weather where I fly. Always check to see what the wind is doing aloft being that the Mini is so lite.
Good luck

Fly safe, Fly often

welcome to the forum, use the time while this weather is with us to do your wrap its very easy to do if a little time consuming,just take it slow and you will be fine ,also use this time to read the manual and understand what all the controls on the transmitter do, as you are wrapping your drone and if you use the prop guards then i would recommend you get your operator ID, and regardless of whether you do register it or not, get your flyer ID a 20 question test its free and last 3 years follow the drone code and happy flying

I have downloaded the UAV forecast app, very helpful!

I am a little worried about messing the wrap up, but will only know when I try. I went with the copper full body and black bumpy camo accent wrap. Think it will look quite cool.

I’ve downloaded the manual for the drone and been watching a lot of YouTube. Which is good but it’s mostly reviews for the mini rather than actual real life flying tips and instructions.
I guess it’s a “take it slow” and build up confidence kinda gig lol.

I’ve not really seen anyone around my area with drones so not really anyone to link up with for tips. That makes this forum a brilliant resource for me.

Does anyone know any interesting places to fly around Portsmouth and surrounding areas?

I have also downloaded the drone code etc so that I can stick within the regulations!
Don’t want to be the guy giving drones a bad name in my area!

My partner is a dog walker and I would love to eventually be able to get some interesting stuff following the dogs around the marshlands.

Reactions: Rockycat
Hi welcome
I like you live in England and weather makes flying your MM
very stop and go, I am also a newbie to drone flying and find this site helpful.
I am currently in Fuerteventura so getting some flight time and let me tell you it is fantastic with heart stop moments when you are learning, just remember there’s no rush..take your time and make sure everything is fully charged including your phone and compass calibrated and check home point.
I use an iPad find it much better than phone.
Great Flying

Welcome, from another Mavic Mini owner.

Don't forget that with that extra weight it will probably be over the 250g limit, so you ought to regsiter it. You'll need to do that by July anyway as the rules are changing, so might as well do it now.

Seeing and re-acting to the orientation of the drone is a very key skill. One of the first things you'll learn is not to overreact. The drone does all the flying you just do the steering.

As a photographer you'll love it. A drone would have been perfect for the crane shot that Johnny LaRue wanted so badly for his Movie of the week "Polynesiantown" SCTV 1970

Hi welcome
I like you live in England and weather makes flying your MM
very stop and go, I am also a newbie to drone flying and find this site helpful.
I am currently in Fuerteventura so getting some flight time and let me tell you it is fantastic with heart stop moments when you are learning, just remember there’s no rush..take your time and make sure everything is fully charged including your phone and compass calibrated and check home point.
I use an iPad find it much better than phone.
Great Flying

I bets that’s amazing! I go to Bali once a year and Amsterdam a few times throughout the year. My next trip to Bali is in October and I have some nice ideas for waterfalls etc.
I bet the mini is ideal for trips like your currently on

Welcome, from another Mavic Mini owner.

Don't forget that with that extra weight it will probably be over the 250g limit, so you ought to regsiter it. You'll need to do that by July anyway as the rules are changing, so might as well do it now.

I will do, does it cost anything? How does it all work?

View attachment 95464View attachment 95465View attachment 95466

Got my wrap done after work last night!
All batteries put on charge and I can’t wait for some suitable weather for a maiden flight!
nice job looks good,which is more than can be said about the weather here at the moment,i know you are keen to get your new MM up,but please don't try to fly it if it is windy, i would hate you to lose it from a blow away, you are not alone we are all chomping at the bit waiting to get out and fly

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby.

As a newbie, pls. limit the flying range to a reasonable height/distance... say 150ft/150ft... play with the bird in this radius and see how it feels. This way, you wont fly it out too far, either by mistake or excitement.

And pls. dont perform a range test... doesn't get you anything, but a potentially lost drone :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke