DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to Forums and Drones

Montec

Reactions
New member from Beautiful BC. Just looking for all the info I can find on what I hope to be an entertaining hobby.
Recently purchased a Mini and already think I may have bought the wrong device, maybe should have got an Air 2 to get started.

I hope to learn as much as I can from the wealth of knowledge here in the forums and ask some reasonable 'newbie' questions when I need the help.

Cheers,
Monte

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . :)

Hi and welcome, I don’t think you have made a bad choice imho. Mini, air 2, mavic pro/zoom etc. Yes some have better specs , flight times, footage capabilities. But nothing beats the mini for portability . Out of all the drones, it’s the one you can literally put in your pocket(would not advise with the props though). 2.7k is ample for most , all have pros and cons regardless of cost. Another thing the mini wins out on.....cost. Enjoy and get use to it, when ready maybe look at a level up. You can still keep the mini as back up or sell towards when ready. Crazy as it may sound, I jumped the mini for that reason, however even with the MA2, the cravings are strong for a mini still. Regardless, 1 drone is simply not enough :) Safe flying

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. Also the search function (magnifying glass icon upper right) is a great way to find answers to many of the questions a "newbie" will have. We were all "newbies" at one point :D

Welcome to our Forum, from the friendly skies of Texas, USA!

You picked a winner in the Mini. Don't be put off by its small size and low price. It's a high performance quad with a great camera.

Be aware that the Mini doesn't handle wind as well as the beefier drones, so be careful flying in high winds. Read the manual, and practice using "Find My Drone". Chances are you'll crash and/or lose your Mini. Don't wait until that happens to learn how to recover a lost drone.

Lots of neat stuff to shoot all over BC and Canada. Your fellow Canadians can help you find your way through TC regs. There are over 100,000 others from elsewhere in the world to provide guidance as you grow as a pilot and photographer. Just ask!

Glad you've joined us!

Welcome to the forum.

What makes you think that the mini was a bad choice?

Hi, I am an experienced photographer and the lack of manual settings makes me think I should have started with something more equipped with that ability. In my opinion there is nothing worse than Auto mode that allows exposure to change during recording. I know the mini has AE Lock but still no way to set shutter speed so not sure how that is going to work.

With my inexperience with drones I thought I should begin with something like the mini. That may have been a mistake is what I meant.

With my inexperience with drones I thought I should begin with something like the mini. That may have been a mistake is what I meant.
It's all good, Montec. There's soooo much to learn about flying drones and the Mini can help you. I've had a Mini for a little over a month now and, even on "Auto" the photos and videos are really good. The latest firmware update for the Mini gives more control over white balance and the next firmware update may give you even more of what you're seeking. Deep dive into the camera settings. (well, shallow dive, it isn't very deep) Meanwhile, the mechanics of flying the drone will be similar between the Mini and it's larger siblings. Work on your technique and figure out how to minimize (what you consider to be) the deficits of the Mini's camera and you'll be glad you did. Challenge yourself to do the best you can with what you've got. In a way, it's like someone saying, "I live in a hell hole, there's NOTHING good to video or photograph." That statement should be seen as a challenge rather than a lament. Find a way. Do more with the Mini than you, or others, expected it is capable of. Show us what that little bad body can do. Or admit that it's the camera, not the photographer, that makes the difference. ? Not!
Happy flying

Congrats!! The Mini is an awesome little drone. Best bang for the buck, in my opinion. I’d rather learn, and take my chances with a $400 aircraft, than with one that’s twice as much (or more). I’ll eventually make the leap also, but for the time being, this little guy does almost everything I need it to do (and remarkably well at that) as it’s more expensive, and capable siblings! Wise purchase!! Have loads of fun!

Congrats!! The Mini is an awesome little drone. Best bang for the buck, in my opinion. I’d rather learn, and take my chances with a $400 aircraft, than with one that’s twice as much (or more). I’ll eventually make the leap also, but for the time being, this little guy does almost everything I need it to do (and remarkably well at that) as it’s more expensive, and capable siblings! Wise purchase!! Have loads of fun!

Thanks, just a little concerned about not being able to control exposure but I see that is changing in new firmware.

It is learning to fly the drone that worries me! That is what I will concentrate on for a while, get up to speed on that then worry about image quality later.

Ah...My concerns have been put to rest. I had been watching older reviews on the Mini but found out just now that with the latest firmware update all the manual exposures that are available on other drones is now available on the Mini. Yay!

Pretend Sport mode doesn't exist.

Check your compass before flight.

Get a strong GPS lock before flight.

Set your RTH before flight.

Welcome to the forum!

Enjoy your new addiction ?

Thanks for the advice. Probably basic info for experienced users but not so obvious to us new to the game.

Welcome to the forum! :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS