DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to Litchi and looking for settings advice in both DJI Go 4 and Litchi for Waypoint Missions

Craig K.

Reactions
I live 300 yards from the base of a mountain range that rises about 3000 feet above my home sitting at 6400 feet above sea level. I've flown a couple dozen times with DJI Go 4 for about 6 months around my 12 acre property to get "flight experience and confidence in the Mavic Pro and me". I know my flight altitude limit is 400 ft. above my "Take Off/Launch" Home Position in DJI Go 4. I recently purchased and downloaded Litchi (current version) to my Laptop and my Samsung S9 phone for the ability to plot and load waypoint missions from my PC to my Android Sampsung S9 and DJI controller. I've used Mission Hub to plot some simple Waypoint Missions with little and few elevation changes to test both the software and my confidence in the Litchi program and my Mavic Pro. Will fly a couple of those short, simple missions as soon as it stops snowing and the sun comes out again in the next few days. The assistance, suggestions and guidance I am looking for: Wondering how to eliminate or raise the 400 AGL (Home) limit so I can plot a course up the side of the mountain and back down to my Home location. I plotted a simple mission to fly at least 125' AGL part way up the mountain @10 MPH and return at the same elevation AGL to return Home for the test. Total distance will be about 1/2 mile up and down and not more than a 750' change of elevation for the first test mission and flight. (not interested in hiking up the mountain in 3' of snow to locate drone. I have plotted the course in Mission Hub showing each of the waypoints at 125' with AGL checked. Will this work or am I at risk of it reaching 400' above my Home launch point and then head to the next waypoint at 400' and crash into the mountain. I always err on the side of caution and patience and let others mistakes and knowledge help me. All critiques and suggestions are welcome. DSC_1843.JPG

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm pretty sure Litchi will net let you run the mission, it give you an error message when you try to start it.

If change your elevation limit I think you have to use DJI-Go to do it.
You can set it to 500m 1600ft

Here is one a ran:
Mission Hub - Litchi

Rod

Rod, Did you actually fly your mission? Looks like some track/route I would like to fly around my mountain range. Can you or anyone else reading this post provide guidance on how I can go into DJI Go 4 to change the max height to something other than 400 feet above Home Launch Point. I consider myself a Rookie in knowing what and how to change many of the settings without creating some problem I won't recognize until I have a drone issue, hopefully not crashing or losing it.

Reactions: RodPad
Look at my waypoint elevations, that is why I shared it
Yes I ran it.

It may be in Litchi also, I don't think it is, I can't check right now.

But this stuff is confusing, you need to have everything on to change the setting, You might not be able to find it unless your all connected.

Should look on your own, you will find some new stuff on your way. ;)

Rod

Share your mission, maybe I can help you avoid a crash. ;)
Crashed my P3S. Time to learn how to fix
Look at my waypoint elevations, that is why I shared it
Yes I ran it.

It may be in Litchi also, I don't think it is, I can't check right now.

But this stuff is confusing, you need to have everything on to change the setting, You might not be able to find it unless your all connected.

Should look on your own, you will find some new stuff on your way. ;)

Rod
Thanks Rod, I will get out the drone, hook up my phone to the controller and fire up DJI Go 4 to see where the setting is.

Tracking this...... "learning from others... " :)

Reactions: Craig K. and RodPad
Tracking this...... "learning from others... " :)

I will tell you a secret.....
Look just above the first post, and you can manually mark to watch the thread. You don't have to make a post.
I did this for the whole category....;)

Something I learned myself.
This is secret just between us. :rolleyes:

Rod

Reactions: Craig K.
I live 300 yards from the base of a mountain range that rises about 3000 feet above my home sitting at 6400 feet above sea level. I've flown a couple dozen times with DJI Go 4 for about 6 months around my 12 acre property to get "flight experience and confidence in the Mavic Pro and me". I know my flight altitude limit is 400 ft. above my "Take Off/Launch" Home Position in DJI Go 4. I recently purchased and downloaded Litchi (current version) to my Laptop and my Samsung S9 phone for the ability to plot and load waypoint missions from my PC to my Android Sampsung S9 and DJI controller. I've used Mission Hub to plot some simple Waypoint Missions with little and few elevation changes to test both the software and my confidence in the Litchi program and my Mavic Pro. Will fly a couple of those short, simple missions as soon as it stops snowing and the sun comes out again in the next few days. The assistance, suggestions and guidance I am looking for: Wondering how to eliminate or raise the 400 AGL (Home) limit so I can plot a course up the side of the mountain and back down to my Home location. I plotted a simple mission to fly at least 125' AGL part way up the mountain @10 MPH and return at the same elevation AGL to return Home for the test. Total distance will be about 1/2 mile up and down and not more than a 750' change of elevation for the first test mission and flight. (not interested in hiking up the mountain in 3' of snow to locate drone. I have plotted the course in Mission Hub showing each of the waypoints at 125' with AGL checked. Will this work or am I at risk of it reaching 400' above my Home launch point and then head to the next waypoint at 400' and crash into the mountain. I always err on the side of caution and patience and let others mistakes and knowledge help me. All critiques and suggestions are welcome. View attachment 92713
I sure miss my trips to Jackson. Your picture brings back good memories.

Reactions: Craig K.
Rod, Yep- but wanted to encourage the process

You might want to use Virtual Litchi and Google Earth Pro on your PC to test your litchi mission before risking your drone. Both are available to download for free.
I agree, but I didn't want to confuse him, that is another learning curve.

It least give a link.
Look at this link, if you want to learn more about tools that work with Litchi. ;) :)
Virtual Litchi Mission

Rod

This evening I sat down with my Mavic Pro, controller and phone. I have both DJI Go 4 and Litchi loaded on the phone. I made sure both were not set as default and then connected the phone to the controller and fired up DJI Go 4 and the drone. Went into the settings and changed the Max Elevation to 1640 feet. Did the same in the Litchi App and hopefully should be good to go fly the mission part way up and back down the mountain at 125 feet AGL. Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. I will try to test Virtual Litchi Mission at a later date since I have Google Earth Pro loaded on my laptop.:cool::cool:

It might be redundant, but please be aware, that wind conditions up in that altitude might be different from what you have at your take-off point. Would be bitter if you can fly that high and then have another problem due to the wind.

Reactions: RodPad and Craig K.
This issue was recently discussed in:

This evening I sat down with my Mavic Pro, controller and phone. I have both DJI Go 4 and Litchi loaded on the phone. I made sure both were not set as default and then connected the phone to the controller and fired up DJI Go 4 and the drone. Went into the settings and changed the Max Elevation to 1640 feet. Did the same in the Litchi App and hopefully should be good to go fly the mission part way up and back down the mountain at 125 feet AGL. Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. I will try to test Virtual Litchi Mission at a later date since I have Google Earth Pro loaded on my laptop.:cool::cool:
Here’s one more thought for your consideration. The collision avoidance system on my drone looks does not look sideways so the first time I fly a new mission I do so with the front of the drone pointed in the direction of travel. Particularly in mountainous areas, I am not sure that everything between my waypoints is lower and I rely on the collision avoidance system to prevent flying into the ground.

One of the really neat things I like about LITCHI is the ability to pick a mission almost any where in the world, then download it into GOOGLE EARTH! I can then run the mission in 3D. Even without GOOGLE EARTH, i can still analyze the settings, in particular the waypoint settings. It’s fun learning from others.

I took some advice from others on this thread and have run a couple of my missions with the Virtual Litchi Missions in Google Earth Pro. Works like a charm once you learn the simple steps. Confusing at first but then it is pretty easy and quite revealing about your mission and waypoint settings.

I took some advice from others on this thread and have run a couple of my missions with the Virtual Litchi Missions in Google Earth Pro. Works like a charm once you learn the simple steps. Confusing at first but then it is pretty easy and quite revealing about your mission and waypoint settings.
I will still look at before you run it.

Rod

Reactions: GregE and Craig K.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61