DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to this DJI-What did I just click?

Oldsalt

Reactions
It's been quite a few years since flying. Years ago I built a couple of Flame Wheel's, and other quads with an APM controller and FPV camera. Things have changed a bit since then.

Just picked up a Mavic2 zoom with smart controller. A friend has one so I figured what the heck.

I'm slowly getting familiar with the system. My question is as follows- When I was going through the smart controller I tapped on the map to bring it forward. A warning popped up saying something about granting DJI access to something. I inadvertently touched 'accept'.
I'm not sure what I granted DJI access to or how to undo the 'accept'. I can't get it to show the warning again and have looked around the menus but can't find something that sounds similar to what I granted permission to.

Does anyone know what I granted permission to and, how to undo it? Will resetting the smart controller be the answer? **NOTE- I was not online when I hit 'accept'.

I don't really care to have anyone have access to flight information. Not doing anything illegal, it's just no ones business where I'm flying.

Thanks in advance for any help

Oldsalt

Reactions: Droniac
It's been quite a few years since flying. Years ago I built a couple of Flame Wheel's, and other quads with an APM controller and FPV camera. Things have changed a bit since then.

Just picked up a Mavic2 zoom with smart controller. A friend has one so I figured what the heck.

I'm slowly getting familiar with the system. My question is as follows- When I was going through the smart controller I tapped on the map to bring it forward. A warning popped up saying something about granting DJI access to something. I inadvertently touched 'accept'.
I'm not sure what I granted DJI access to or how to undo the 'accept'. I can't get it to show the warning again and have looked around the menus but can't find something that sounds similar to what I granted permission to.

Does anyone know what I granted permission to and, how to undo it? Will resetting the smart controller be the answer? **NOTE- I was not online when I hit 'accept'.

I don't really care to have anyone have access to flight information. Not doing anything illegal, it's just no ones business where I'm flying.

Oldsalt
I don't think you have a choice. If it has GPS...DJI has access to it

Reactions: Droniac
with the advent of the internet and the info gathering and storing that goes on today, from the moment you are born then any expectations of privacy have for the most part gone completely by the board ,if you want to embrace the tech in this so called brave new world ,then privacy forget it

You were allowing the app to access the GPS data from the display unit.
Without that, the app cannot tell where you are to display that on the map.
You weren't giving any data to DJI or anyone else.

Oldsalt
It’s an android thing. In some cases it’s meaningful in other cases it’s just plain silly but nonetheless do you need to grant access or the app can’t function.
granting access to your contacts is a whole Other story

Thank you all very much for your replies and helping me better understand this system. My apologies for not replying sooner but I am on a boat and don't always have internet access.

In the menu under DJI User settings > Privacy my settings are as follows-
Approx Location - ON
Device Hardware info. - Off
Device GPS info - ON
Mobile Device Info. - ON
Product Improvement Project - OFF

It states in the settings "Denying DJI access to this information will cause the following features to no longer function..." Clarification of the term "DJI access" seems a little vague to me. Perhaps purposefully. Not clear if it means just the app or DJI corporate.

I will not be "online" when flying and using downloaded maps for the area in which I'm flying. If I'm flying offline does the information in those settings get logged / collected to the Smart Controller then automatically get sent to DJI the next time the Smart Controller connects to WIFI? Does anything get sent to DJI automatically? If so, is it possible to turn off this automatic upload?

Also, after doing some searching online I found an article addressing DJI and privacy. It states that with the DJI Go app turning off Wifi ensures that no data is shared however the article does not say if the data is uploaded at a later time.

Thanks again.

DJI is a Chinese company and like everthing else made in China like CCTV, mobile phones etc which go through servers in China, they know all about your life already

with the DJI Go app turning off Wifi ensures that no data is shared however the article does not say if the data is uploaded at a later time.
None of your data goes to DJI until you decide to synch your files (if you want to).
DJI is a Chinese company and like everthing else made in China like CCTV, mobile phones etc which go through servers in China, they know all about your life already
That's just nonsense

Reactions: RobertR
with the advent of the internet and the info gathering and storing that goes on today, from the moment you are born then any expectations of privacy have for the most part gone completely by the board ,if you want to embrace the tech in this so called brave new world ,then privacy forget it
Sadly so. Sigh. Godspeed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60