DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New User And Few Technical Questions

Grizzo

Reactions
Hi. I'm new to Drones and have just joined the Forum.
I recently started flying my new Mavic Pro and am having a lot of fun with this new toy.

My question is regarding the Return To Home when signal from the RC is lost.
The user manual has this confusing caution;

"If you move the throttle stick (left joystick) after the aircraft rises above 65 ft but below the preset Failsafe RTH altitude, the aircraft will stop ascending and immediately return to the home point."

How does the aircraft know if you move the left stick is you have lost signal?

What if you are in the process of using the left stick and you lose signal but continue trying to fly higher because you didn't realise the signal dropped out? Does that mean the aircraft won't rise to the preset altitude for RTH?

Reactions: zero1981
First of all, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on reading the manual.

If the Mavic looses connection with the RC, it will initiate Failsafe RTH according to the parameters you set in Go 4. Since it has lost signal it will not respond to any RC inputs. What is common is that either by raising in height or getting closer to the RC, the connection with the RC will be re-established. Then it will respond as the manual states.

Last edited:
Reactions: zero1981
"If you move the throttle stick (left joystick) after the aircraft rises above 65 ft but below the preset Failsafe RTH altitude, the aircraft will stop ascending and immediately return to the home point."
This only applies if the remote controller is still connected to the Mavic while it's ascending to the RTH altitude.

What if you are in the process of using the left stick and you lose signal but continue trying to fly higher because you didn't realise the signal dropped out?
The Mavic won't know you're moving the sticks if the remote controller is not connected to the Mavic.

Hi. I'm new to Drones and have just joined the Forum.
I recently started flying my new Mavic Pro and am having a lot of fun with this new toy.

My question is regarding the Return To Home when signal from the RC is lost.
The user manual has this confusing caution;

How does the aircraft know if you move the left stick is you have lost signal?

What if you are in the process of using the left stick and you lose signal but continue trying to fly higher because you didn't realise the signal dropped out? Does that mean the aircraft won't rise to the preset altitude for RTH?
Howdy from Wyoming @Grizzo , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

I also am a new drone user, but much newer than Grizzo. I have downloaded the DJI app, connected the Samsung I pad to the controller, and I was hoping I could turn on the controller to see if the app. works and is connected. The controller just turns on long enough to show battery is 100%, then shuts off. Does the drone also have to be powered on to test whether I have the app. as instructed. Thank you for any help. I am excited to start flying this.

I also am a new drone user, but much newer than Grizzo. I have downloaded the DJI app, connected the Samsung I pad to the controller, and I was hoping I could turn on the controller to see if the app. works and is connected. The controller just turns on long enough to show battery is 100%, then shuts off. Does the drone also have to be powered on to test whether I have the app. as instructed. Thank you for any help. I am excited to start flying this.

You might be doing it wrong. Power up on the remote and the mavic itself requires one short push, then a second and hold the button for a few seconds.

ETA! ALSO since you probably didnt look at the instruction manual yet, DONT TURN ON THE AIRCRAFT without removing the little clamp behind the camera gimbal.

Please study a little so you donot end up in the lost mavic thread!

I have read a little of the manual, doing each step as I read and understand. I have to yet find the clamp behind the camera gimbal, there doesn't seem to be a picture. Thank you so much for your help.

Am am not by my mavic to take a picture of the clamp, It is clear plastic, and is snugly between the mavic body and the gimble. You pinch it together from each side and carefully slide it out. The gimble will get quite "floppy" when the clamp is removed.

Reactions: WAXMAN and rfc
You might be doing it wrong. Power up on the remote and the mavic itself requires one short push, then a second and hold the button for a few seconds.

ETA! ALSO since you probably didnt look at the instruction manual yet, DONT TURN ON THE AIRCRAFT without removing the little clamp behind the camera gimbal.

Please study a little so you donot end up in the lost mavic thread!

OK, thanks. I have yet to find the camera gimbal,there is no picture in the manual.

Am am not by my mavic to take a picture of the clamp, It is clear plastic, and is snugly between the mavic body and the gimble. You pinch it together from each side and carefully slide it out. The gimble will get quite "floppy" when the clamp is removed.

Oh, it is that clear plastic piece, thanks.

I have read a little of the manual, doing each step as I read and understand. I have to yet find the clamp behind the camera gimbal, there doesn't seem to be a picture. Thank you so much for your help.

You've probably well and truly gotten your Mavic up in the air by now, but if by chance you haven't, I highly recommend looking at a few youtube videos. By the time I received my Mavic, I already knew where the gimbal clamp was and how to remove it. It will also help you avoid many common mistakes that will end in a crashed mavic. Also be mindful that these things are not toys, they are a reasonably serious piece of kit --- you can do some pretty amazing stuff with them, but at the same time you can do some pretty stupid/dangerous/illegal stuff with them too!

Welcome & fly safe!

Reactions: WAXMAN
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica