DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New vid from DJI on Drone to Phone Remote ID Concept

SqFt

Reactions
Link Drone to Phone Remote ID Concept

It appears technically quite clever in order to meet the proposed FAA requirements for remote ID. Pretty much no cost. I dont have a problem with ID and tracking info. But I dont see why it needs to display the location of the pilot. I compare it to automobiles. They all need to be licensed, but John Q public cant open an app on there phone and see who the driver is. Why should a person be able to do that with a drone?

Link Drone to Phone Remote ID Concept

“...but John Q public cant open an app on there phone and see who the driver is. Why should a person be able to do that with a drone?”
The FAA sees it differently than that, aircraft can easily be traced back to the owners by John Q. P. as well, and their N-numbers are much more visible than those on a drone flying overhead. And why should someone flying a drone in public airspace worry about privacy in the first place? Perhaps its because some not like it because it will take away their freedom of being able to fly however they want [no matter what the rules are and not get caught...]

Also, if there’s a drone flying over my property, I would like to know who and where the pilot is also, wouldn’t anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra
The FAA sees it differently than that, aircraft can easily be traced back to the owners by John Q. P. as well, and their N-numbers are much more visible than those on a drone flying overhead. And why should someone flying a drone in public airspace worry about privacy in the first place? Perhaps its because some not like it because it will take away their freedom of being able to fly however they want [no matter what the rules are and not get caught...]

Also, if there’s a drone flying over my property, I would like to know who and where the pilot is also, wouldn’t anyone?
Since the operator will be in a 400-foot bubble, you could just look out your window.

• Haha
Reactions: AMann
I think it depends on what the pilot is doing above my property if you stop and hovers for a while yeah I want to know but if he zooms across and just keeps flying no I don't care who it is

So a group of hoodlums download the app (with help from a grown up) and install it on their stolen mobile phone.

They then prowl the neighborhood (like usual) being able to tell instantly and exactly where the location of someone is who’s flying a piece of equipment costing from a few hundred to a few thousand £/€/$ and then go and relieve the rightful owner of their property.

What could possibly go wrong....... ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s the perfect tool for any drone hater to find the pilot and cause conflict or even rob them, this is a terrible idea.

I agree 100%. But in fairness to the article, it does say it was just a capability demonstrator and it would be up to the FAA to decide what features to use.

It’s the perfect tool for any drone hater to find the pilot and cause conflict or even rob them, this is a terrible idea.
Have never heard of an airplane hater doing that with N-numbers, however I have heard of people using them to turn in helo pilots that land in wilderness areas to offload and pickup supplies and hunters, skiers and campers illegally. Without the N-numbers and publicly searchable database, there would be a lot more illegal flights by those same pilots doing stuff like that. Due to so many bad players, we’ve been getting closer to the time for drones to do the same.

Last edited:
So a group of ‘Hoodies’ download the app (with help from a grown up) and install it on their stolen mobile phone.

They then prowl the neighborhood (like usual) being able to tell instantly and exactly where the location of someone is who’s flying a piece of equipment costing from a few hundred to a few thousand £/€/$ and then go and relieve the rightful owner of their property.

What could possibly go wrong....... ?
...while they see and pass by much more expensive cars that would be easier to steal in front of everyone's homes instead of risking breaking into a locked house? Sorry, I just don’t understand remote drone ID fear. We transmit our location and id everytime we use a cellphone, use a credit card or even drive on the freeway. Some of us even transmit a personal callsign on Ham radio that is easily traceable to our home address from a public database on the web. It’s not a big deal to transmit you are flying, pilots also do that all the time.

Reactions: KB9Radio
...while they see and pass by much more expensive cars that would be easier to steal in front of everyone's homes instead of risking breaking into a locked house? Sorry, I just don’t understand remote drone ID fear. We transmit our location and id everytime we use a cellphone, use a credit card or even drive on the freeway. Some of us even transmit a personal callsign on Ham radio that is easily traceable to our home address from a public database on the web. It’s not a big deal to transmit you are flying, pilots also do that all the time.

You cant see who or where someone is just because they have a cell phone. Not with a simple downloadable app you get in the app store. And this is just more of the tired argument of "Im a law abiding citizen, therefore I have nothing to hide". Its just another attempt at chipping away our privacy one crumb at a time. If you have the N number of a airplane it doesnt tell you where the owner is standing at that very moment. I dont mind the FAA or law enforcement knowing where my drone is and that I own it. If they have a problem with it they can send me a letter or come knock on the door. Thats what a aircraft pilot gets. Why should we be treated differently? But know one needs to know where Im standing "right now".

Last edited:
I think it depends on what the pilot is doing above my property if you stop and hovers for a while yeah I want to know but if he zooms across and just keeps flying no I don't care who it is
I agree, but then there were also those that hovered and dropped eggs and much worse on people’s houses and cars, and those who keep flying around Illegally over public gatherings and such that have caused us to be where we are today looking at remote ID for all.

Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
You cant see who or where someone is just because they have a cell phone. Not with a simple downloadable app you get in the app store. And this is more than just the tired argument of "Im a law abiding citizen, therefore I have nothing to hide". Its just another attempt at chipping away our privacy one crumb at a time. If you have the N number of a airplane it doesnt tell you where the owner is standing at that very moment. I dont mind the FAA or law enforcement knowing where my drone is and that I own it. If they have a problem with it they can send me a letter or come knock on the door. But they dont need to know where Im standing right now. Thats what a aircraft pilot gets. Why should we be treated differently?
We are using the same public airspace As planes do, why should we be treated any differently?

Cellphones are easily traceable by law-enforcement, that’s what I meant by locations not being private with them.

I think you need to read my post again.

Where does breaking into a locked house come into it?
I said “who’s flying” ie they are standing somewhere with a remote control in their hand and an aircraft airborne!

Everyone will need gilly suit and face paint to go out and fly.

• Haha
Reactions: SqFt and AMann

I said “who’s flying” ie they are standing somewhere with a remote control in their hand and an aircraft airborne!

I was talking about the neighborhood drone stealing prowlers that you spoke of. I guess you thought that they would come and mug you while you’re flying, I thought you meant they would know where you live and come steal your drone afterwards. Heck, if someone tried to mug me while I was flying my drone, I would just hit them with it and lop off their limb or something. But to be honest, I’ve never heard of anyone ever getting mugged while flying the drone but it could happen.

There was a member here that posted that he flew while hiding in bushes from cops and I recommended he get a gilly suit also! I guess it is people like that that who would really hate remote ID... :p

Last edited:

If a helicopter did the same would you have the same feelings? (just curious) I think that eventually the FAA or whomever will need to determine what is a property owners "personal space" above their property. Is it 10 feet , 100 feet?... somewhere in between? People have legitimate privacy concerns, but then again a news or police helo with a much better camera than most any drone can see you in stark detail at 1000+ feet.

Basically i feel similar, if passing by, I don't give it a second thought, if they are hovering above (say under 150 feet) I would, at least, be curious who it is and why they are interested in my property.

i would have no issue with authorities and regulators having access to my location. Its a good idea. But i dont want Joe Public knowing where I am at any stage through the simple use of an app onhis phone. There are plenty that will see a drone and make it their business to accost the pilot through their own sense of importance or authority. I dont need that while trying to pilot my aircraft.
When i come into landing with in my Cessna, I would not expect to be met by some "interested person" to discuss my flight, and this person would certainly not have access to me while flying. RPAS operations should be no different. It has nothing to do with privacy, it has to to with what should be a "sterile" operating environment.

i would have no issue with authorities and regulators having access to my location. Its a good idea. But i dont want Joe Public knowing where I am at any stage through the simple use of an app onhis phone. There are plenty that will see a drone and make it their business to accost the pilot through their own sense of importance or authority. I dont need that while trying to pilot my aircraft.
When i come into landing with in my Cessna, I would not expect to be met by some "interested person" to discuss my flight, and this person would certainly not have access to me while flying. RPAS operations should be no different. It has nothing to do with privacy, it has to to with what should be a "sterile" operating environment.

Absolutely agree. There is so much paranoia out there... this will be a tool for that paranoid public to act on this available information.

Reactions: JAW

Absolutely agree. There is so much paranoia out there... this will be a tool for that paranoid public to act on this available information.
There is so much paranoia out there... ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929