DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Wisconsin drone pilot

funflyer

Reactions
I have always loved photography, flying and anything that can go air borne. So i purchased a Mavic Mini 2 to get started. I am a private pilot and flew RC aircraft way before that. I did get my recreational pilot certificate and am doing my best to learn all the regulations pertaining to drone flying. I am amazed at how stable a drone is and is much easier to fly than anything else I have ever flown. Couple of questions: what is the best app to use to check airspace before flying? B4UFLY, AirMap, Aloft? Gets a little confusing here. And if I am using my drone as an “extended selfie stick” flying well under 20’ high and 20’ away do all the regulations still apply? THis appears to be a great forum and a fantastic way for a 72 year old to enjoy something very fun and new. Thank you for any suggestions you may offer.

Hello from the Crossroads of America funflyer.

what is the best app to use to check airspace before flying? B4UFLY, AirMap, Aloft

Aloft is the app from the FAA.

I used to use AIRMAP, but after reading discussions here on the Forum, they were working against drone pilots behind the scenes.

And if I am using my drone as an “extended selfie stick” flying well under 20’ high and 20’ away do all the regulations still apply?

Yes.

Make sure to check the local regulations on drone flights because they won't show up in the app.

Even though the FAA controls the airspace, they don't control the property it's launched from such as National Parks, etc.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

They would all have to partner with the FAA in some way or other to be allowed to grant flight permissions. IIRC back in the day B4UFLY was released by the FAA itself. Hence I always thought of it as the "FAA app".

Welcome to the forum.

You should download Aloft, B4UFly and see which works best for you. they're free, so have them both. It is also handy if you have DJI's flysafe map URL available as sooner or later you'll need it. Also, the UAV Forecast app will help you determine if the weather/wind conditions are safe for your drone to fly in without getting blown away.

UAV Forecast app will help you determine if the weather/wind conditions are safe for your drone to fly in without getting blown away.

Windy.com is a cool app as well.

I like the display of arrows that shows the flow of the wind rather than just an arrow.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada