DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New York City Drone Pilots wanted!

WilliamsDrone

Reactions
Hey guys,

I'm a greenhorn drone pilot and (hopefully) will get my PART 107 certificate soon after I will pass the test on monday...

Since days I desperately try to understand the regulations in NYC, especialy working with AIRMAP. Are there any NYC-pilots in this forum who can help me out with how to use and undertand AIRMAP in NYC to be on the safe side when picking a spot to fly?

Thanks a lot,
Henry

The last I heard was that city dwellers were advised to call 911 if they saw a drone in flight. Perhaps there is a designated park or such place to fly, but you would have to do some internet searching, and make sure that any information you find is current. Regulations change quickly.

The issue isn't so much the federal rules / FAA. It's that the NYPD is drone hostile and uses various vague laws (such as reckless endangerment) to go after drone pilots in the city. There's no specific law banning drones (outside 99% of city parks where a law bans any sort of "aerial device") but if you try to fly in NYC outside the few sanctioned flying fields , you can apparently be subject to arrest.

Last edited:
I am 107 certified and visited NYC last week. Before going I researched the prospects of flying my drone. Looked to me to be **** near impossible to fly anywhere in or around NYC for 1 reason or another. Left the drone at home.

Reactions: Former Member
The problem is that there are hundreds of opinions out there and things people heard about what you can do and what you can not do. For example: The 911-thing is true, but it doesn't mean it's now allowed to fly anywhere in NYC. It's just a safety thing like "better safe than sorry" / "if you see something, say something". It just gives the police the chance to check out if that flight is actually legal or not.

So that's why I'm looking for local pilots who actually do fly in particular parts of NYC because of this or that law or policy that actually allows it or because of this or that law or policy which is not valid in that area and doesn't stop them from flying legally.

If you use the Airmap-app as a Part 107, you can actually see areas which seem to be ok to fly in NYC, of course not over people etc. That's why I'm wondering....

If you use the Airmap-app as a Part 107, you can actually see areas which seem to be ok to fly in NYC, of course not over people etc. That's why I'm wondering....

Unfortunately AirMap only focuses on federal/FAA rules. (I believe there is an additional layer you can turn on that displays the NY State parks drone ordinance areas, but that's it). However AirMap doesn't display all the local policies that you might run into when flying a drone in NYC.

As I said, the NYPD is really your concern here, so you might want to give them a chat at your local station house to see what their philosophy is. The published rules are vague and unhelpful.

NYPD has been reported to use Aeroscope devices (which can pinpoint both the drone and controller locations), so eventually you probably will be talking to them anyway if you fly enough in the city.

There ARE designated fields within the five boroughs where RC flights are allowed. One of the most popular is in Brooklyn. That one is the place where a very experienced pilot flying a large scale helicopter chopped off half his head when he lost control while attempting a stunt.

Reactions: Former Member
I'm a photographer first, so those fields (I have been to the queens one) aren't really helping, unfortunately... Only for some test flights. I want areas were you can actually shoot good footage legally.

.... NYPD has been reported to use Aeroscope devices (which can pinpoint both the drone and controller locations), so eventually you probably will be talking to them anyway if you fly enough in the city.
Just a side thought. DJI creates the “problem” and now offers the solution. Great marketing scheme. :-/

Reactions: razoraerial
I'm a photographer first, so those fields (I have been to the queens one) aren't really helping, unfortunately... Only for some test flights. I want areas were you can actually shoot good footage legally.
Check out Pebble Beach in Brooklyn if you can. It's really just a bit of sandy shoreline where the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan bridges are just a couple blocks apart on the east side of the East River. There's two parks there (I can't remember their names) with lots of open room. It is a great spot! Early Sunday mornings, after sunrise, and there's usually no one around---also lots of parking if you drive. I've been there a couple times and I do think there's no NFZ (usually.) Sunday mornings have little to no helicopter traffic. Excellent views of lower Manhattan with the bridges in the foreground if you choose. Several subway stops in the area. I took the F train.

Reactions: WilliamsDrone
This thread is a few years old, but the law is still the same,,,for the most part you cannot launch, land or control a drone from within NYC except at These NYC Parks
Flushing Meadows Queens
LaTourette Staten Island
Calvet Vaux Brooklyn

Hopefully Henry has done the only rational thing you can do in his situation, move!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll