DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New York - Unisphere - Legal to fly?

dacoco

Reactions
Hi guys,

i'm going to New York soon and i wondered if i should register and bring my Mavic with me.
Not really for risking a fine or prison for flying in Manhattan, but to fly legally.
I already read a couple of websites and read that flying over the Hudson heading to Manhattan seems to be illegal and also flying at or near the bridges too.
So there seem to be four or five parks from which Flushing Meadows park in Queens would offer the nicest footage i think.

So about Flushing Meadows Corona Park:
Here is a model airfield but is it only allowed to fly there?
Or can i fly in the whole park?
Is it allowed to overfly the Unisphere?

I really don't want to get into trouble but for nice shots of the park i would take the Mavic with me.

Also good tipps for flying spots which could offer nice footage (not interested in green fields...) would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
Daniel

Hi guys,

i'm going to New York soon and i wondered if i should register and bring my Mavic with me.
Not really for risking a fine or prison for flying in Manhattan, but to fly legally.
I already read a couple of websites and read that flying over the Hudson heading to Manhattan seems to be illegal and also flying at or near the bridges too.
So there seem to be four or five parks from which Flushing Meadows park in Queens would offer the nicest footage i think.

I really don't want to get into trouble but for nice shots of the park i would take the Mavic with me.

Also good tipps for flying spots which could offer nice footage (not interested in green fields...) would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
Daniel
If you intend on being in NYC (i.e. Manhattan) there is no where you can fly. There are other areas to fly in some of the Boroughs, but nothing worth going out of your way for.

I fly out of here a years ago to get some video of a couple cruise ship. Haven't looked at the map to see if you still can

Google Maps

Anyone knows something about this?

Oh great...
"Alas, because of the fly zone’s limits, you won’t be able to get any shots of the iconic NY Pavilion and Unisphere."

WTF - Why does NYC hate drones so much?
LOL...probably because there are too many douche bags that would fly over one of the most populated cities in America and crash

Having lived and worked in NYC I often tough the same thing. There were many times I wished I could fly my Mavic for footage

Ist there a clarification in which areas of Corona Park we can fly? I will be in NYC next monday and will Bring my mavic..

Here is a pic from Google maps showing the designated flying area. It is a circular, fenced in area where you will notice two concrete circles. Those concrete slabs are used by tethered aircraft pilots. I stopped by just before purchasing my MP and there was someone flying a tethered plane and someone with an MP in the grassy area. I have not flown there yet. But I believe you are supposed to fly within the boundaries of the fenced in area. It has a 200 foot radius (400 feet end to end). The second picture shows the relationship of the designated flying area to the hemisphere. It is 1 mile away.Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 8.36.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 8.42.34 AM.png

Okay, thank you. Any other good hint, where to grab some nice Pictures besides Forest Park?

I’m a noob and have only flown close to home so far. A ton of videos of guys flying around Brooklyn and Queens (not just the parks mentioned in the NY Post article) including taking off right at the Hemisphere. I plan on going to parks where no one is around, away from LaGuardia and JFK, and continue to look for spots as time goes on.
Very jealous of all the videos of guys flying in wide open countryside.

I flew there many years ago with my F550 and a GoPro

I wouldn't do it now though.... LaGuardia isn't too far away

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121