DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Zealand South Island Flying Tips

xjjon

Reactions
Will be a spending a couple weeks this month in south island of New Zealand. This is purely a photography trip so I will have plenty of time to fly the drone, take photos, etc. Wondering if anyone has tips or suggestions on favorite locations to fly or shoot. My primary interest is landscapes so will likely avoid city scenes.
First time on the south island (and also NZ) so my plan is to slowly tour through the usual national parks and spend extra time / detours wherever seems best.

Did some research on the local laws and don't think I will go through the hassle of applying to fly in national parks. I will do a few overnight hikes there but will just leave the drone out. I'm sure I will be plenty busy with the traditional camera set up anyway. But I am sure there are many great locations to fly outside the parks.

Happy to hear any suggestions for great scenes that don't involve flying as well.

Cheers

Did some research on the local laws and don't think I will go through the hassle of applying to fly in national parks. I will do a few overnight hikes there but will just leave the drone out. I'm sure I will be plenty busy with the traditional camera set up anyway. But I am sure there are many great locations to fly outside the parks.

Happy to hear any suggestions for great scenes that don't involve flying as well.
You'll have a great time, it's a great place to visit .. but there are some problems using drones there.
The Department of Conservation controls a huge land area apart from national parks.
They have impractical and unworkable drone rules for any land under their control.

Avoid flying near any of the popular tourist spots and you can still find plenty of good flying locations if you just get off the road so you aren't attracting attention.

Yes lots of ‘no drone’ signs around the popular National Parks attractions.
But you’ll love the walking on the South Island, and I’m sure you’ll find MANY places to fly.
A couple of February’s ago, spent a month over there and did 4 of the iconic Fiordland walks, only 3 days in between stocking up, the rest of the time ‘bush’ :)
If you do the great walks tracks, there are great huts for overnighting.
Many are Ranger manned, others not, but be prepared for bivvy if needed as NZ weather can be unpredictable.
We got quite the cold snap and snow dumping one day on Kepler Tk in the peak of summer.
Enjoy your trip.

Yes lots of ‘no drone’ signs around the popular National Parks attractions.
But you’ll love the walking on the South Island, and I’m sure you’ll find MANY places to fly.
A couple of February’s ago, spent a month over there and did 4 of the iconic Fiordland walks, only 3 days in between stocking up, the rest of the time ‘bush’ :)
If you do the great walks tracks, there are great huts for overnighting.
Many are Ranger manned, others not, but be prepared for bivvy if needed as NZ weather can be unpredictable.
We got quite the cold snap and snow dumping one day on Kepler Tk in the peak of summer.
Enjoy your trip.

Awesome, thanks guys for the tips. Looking forward to the overnight walks :)

Do you know of any resources to check maps on where I can fly? I use airmap a lot in the states, anything like that for NZ?

Cheers.

Awesome, thanks guys for the tips. Looking forward to the overnight walks :)

Do you know of any resources to check maps on where I can fly? I use airmap a lot in the states, anything like that for NZ?

Cheers.
Here’s a good place to start:

The US is probably the world's most airport dense country.
New Zealand is at the other end of the scale.
If you aren't near a large town there won't be much air traffic to worry about except for helicopters around some of the most popular tourist areas.

Second part of the video here:
New Zealand from above 4k

Yes, I'm aware I was sometime flying on no-fly zones but DJI Fly Safe Geo Zone Map is not 100% accurate and there were no explicit signs at all.
I only later realized I shouldn't have done it.

General rule : fly above the ocean, away from people, not to far, check your batteries before flying, check the surroundings for heli / planes and wildlife.
The country is truly amazing, you don't need to be in a NP to have great shots.

Anyway, this is my experience.

Enjoy this marvelous country and the lovely people !

Here are a couple of teasers for you:
693-73a-X2.jpg

Lake Hawea
DJI_0533-42a-X2.jpg

Makarora River

The US is probably the world's most airport dense country.
New Zealand is at the other end of the scale.
If you aren't near a large town there won't be much air traffic to worry about except for helicopters around some of the most popular tourist areas.

Just a point, there are a lot of small unmanned aerodromes used for crop spraying etc that are classed as airports. Nothing more than a mowed grass strip and windsock.
Try AirShare or in fact any of the main ones will tell you where you can fly.

The Christchurch port hills are awesome too, I'am there almost every weekend.

Recommended, you get some great shots of the southern alps on the back ground. Just check because some places like Victoria Park are no fly zones from the council.

> "Yes lots of ‘no drone’ signs around ...

20191101_160457.jpg

Seriously speaking, that No Drones-sign was on the outside of the door to a toilet, and the location was a an office of one of several companies offering helitours to Franz Josef Glacier. My wife and I returned from a 2-week trip to NZ a week ago. I didn't take my drone there. As our trip was an organized packet tour for 14 people, there would have been very few opportunities for droning. The scenery was superb, but you'll have to plan carefully to find locations where a drone provides added value over conventional cameras. Furthermore, our flight back to Europe included a one-night stop in Qatar, which imposes a USD 99 tax for bringing in a drone.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Man $99 to have it in the country? Someone’s making some money there.

I don’t know for sure but the glaciers are probably doc controlled and the air space would be NFZ because of the helicopters.

Set packages probably wouldn’t give an opportunity to fly anyway.

Hope next time you have some more freedom with your itinerary. I think some of the ‘tourist’ spots are over photographed anyway. Plenty of other areas with great views and no restrictions.

Glad you visited.

Happy flying.

Flying through NZ on my way to Australia. Had to pay for "New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA)" to pass through the airport. I was thinking about taking my DJI drones, but if they are going to give me trouble going through the airport, as carrier on, secured and unused, I will leave them at home.

Flying through NZ on my way to Australia. Had to pay for "New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA)" to pass through the airport. I was thinking about taking my DJI drones, but if they are going to give me trouble going through the airport, as carrier on, secured and unused, I will leave them at home.

Hmm, the NZETA hasn’t anything to do with drones. It’s for citizens of countries that don’t have automatic visa rights. Lasts for two years and you need it whether you have a drone or not.

As for carrying one in transit the only grief you’ll get will be from the airlines to do with batteries etc. Most likely they’ll want it as carry on.

As long as you don’t try and brings drugs, pests or diseases through the country you’ll have a smooth transition.

Happy travels.

I just returned from a 2 week visit to the South Island and flew every day with no problems. I of course used a heavy dose of common sense and was respectful of my surroundings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest