DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbe from Tacoma WA.

Richard Zade

Reactions
Sadly I got sucked into the Mavic air 2 swamp! I have a Phantom3 expert that has served me well but I got drawn in by the hype and reviews. Sadly none of those told me about the fly software and it's incompatibility with my phone and many others in both android and IOS. So now I need to upgrade my phone and I not even sure that the less expensive phones from my cell co. will work! What a bummer!

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. Also, the search function (magnifying glass icon upper right) is a great way to find answers to many of the questions a "newbie" will have. We were all "newbies" at one point.

And another member joins the Geritol Gang :D

Thanks, I'm probably older than you though. I am a 77 year old Viet Nam vet.
age is no barrier to drone flying ,and in fact it seems to be something that many retired people get into
i think that is because apart from having some spare cash,we also have the one very important commodity for drone flying the time to do it
i like it because it gets me out in the fresh air, and once the initial outlay for the equipment ,it is relatively cheap,until you get the bug and must have the latest and greatest model in the line up

age is no barrier to drone flying ,and in fact it seems to be something that many retired people get into
i think that is because apart from having some spare cash,we also have the one very important commodity for drone flying the time to do it
i like it because it gets me out in the fresh air, and once the initial outlay for the equipment ,it is relatively cheap,until you get the bug and must have the latest and greatest model in the line up
My problem exactly, the new bug bit me!

Sadly I got sucked into the Mavic air 2 swamp! I have a Phantom3 expert that has served me well but I got drawn in by the hype and reviews. Sadly none of those told me about the fly software and it's incompatibility with my phone and many others in both android and IOS. So now I need to upgrade my phone and I not even sure that the less expensive phones from my cell co. will work! What a bummer!
Welcome to the Forum from a former resident of Tacoma and achieved my frist Part 61 rating at Spanaway.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

I am a 77 year old Viet Nam vet.
Welcome to this great forum!

My dad is your age, and served a couple tours in that theater too; so I thank you for your service. I will be handing him my old MP when I visit him next month, which will be his first drone. He got me into RC flying in elementary school with a single button remote control for rudder control and a Cox .049 glow-plug engine, so I hope to see him flying for another 20 years. ?

‘Can‘t speak to prepaid phone options, but I’m reading from fellow members that the $139 8” Samsung Galaxy Tab works great: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJZ7VQD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9S-aFbG4RBR99

Welcome to our Forum, from the friendly skies of Texas!

You picked a winner in the MA2. Lots of neat stuff to shoot all over Western Washington. I remember Spanaway well. About 50 yrs ago, I accompanied my friend there. He bought a PA-12 from a local pilot who upgraded to a cherokee.

I wish I had an answer to your phone problem. With luck, one or more of the 100.000 plus members will pipe up with a solution.

Happy Flying!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome ?. Grandma's still using a flip phone, she's having a hard time figuring out how to use it to ring up anyone. Obviously that wouldn't work with a drone.
But you'd think they could reverse engineer an app for previous operating systems, regardless if it's 32-bit or 64-bit architecture. It tells me, older systems had unacceptable video latency. I didn't think the 32-bit systems were that slow. Edit: Grandmother is 93

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. You will find all sorts of support and assistance. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

40 years ago, that's one narrow runway !
Actually, it was more than 40 years ago. If my memory serves me correctly the runway was 1700 x 10 or was it 20?? How do you know that? Here is a picture of me on the runway.

Attachments

• Spanaway.jpg
    Spanaway.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627