DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie asks: fly with iPad w/o data plan?

themixguy

Reactions
I have an iPad Air that I want to use to fly the Mavic. It has wifi and is cellular-capable but I've never turned on the data plan. I'm too cheap and have unlimited data on my iPhone and usually just use the iPad around wifi.

My question: is it safe to fly or will I be missing some important functionality? I need the larger screen of the iPad and will bite the bullet if need be and turn on data. And no: I can't tether the iPad to the iPhone, as I'm grandfathered-in to unlimited data on the phone with At&T and they don't allow it.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

As far as i know as long as you have the cellular version it has a gps chip and you dont need a data plan you just need the gps chip to be working in the phone. which it should be anyway.

this is why people fly in airplane mode so they have zero running except the app and the gps chip

Don't need data. I was in Europe last month and had my iPhone in airplane mode the whole time and still worked fine. You will still pick up GPS no matter what.

Reactions: themixguy
always-be-learning.jpg

Reactions: themixguy
is there no way your cellular provider can update you to allow teathering?

I've had the iPhone with ATT since Day 1 and opted for unlimited data back then. If I do want to tether, I have to switch plans and lose my unlimited data.

Thanks to all who replied. This forum is GREAT! And MavicHelp is a great resource I learned about here.

Ok,....this is an interesting question the original poster put forth. I have an iPad Mini 4 I purchased just for my Mavic. It is a wifi model only. I have been using it with no issues for the past month. (Admittedly I have not used all flying modes.) I keep reading I am missing something by not having the GPS on my iPad mini. But what EXACTLY am I missing. I can see on my map where I am. I can fly back using the map and arrow. I have perfect video. Confused as to what I am missing out on....?

Ok,....this is an interesting question the original poster put forth. I have an iPad Mini 4 I purchased just for my Mavic. It is a wifi model only. I have been using it with no issues for the past month. (Admittedly I have not used all flying modes.) I keep reading I am missing something by not having the GPS on my iPad mini. But what EXACTLY am I missing. I can see on my map where I am. I can fly back using the map and arrow. I have perfect video. Confused as to what I am missing out on....?
probably only "follow me mode" but you could substitute "active track."
Regards,
-d.

Thanks,...I have used active track and that works fine. Have not tried follow me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242