DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie checklist and tips?

wollins

Reactions
So I've been reading MANY, MANY threads on this and other forums about the Mini ... it's pros ... cons ... and the good and bad experiences out there. It's occurred to me that maybe we (especially newbies like myself) should establish a sort of pre flight check and tips list? I mean if "real" pilots do then why shouldn't we right?
tongue.gif
Anyways, I've come up with MY pre flight checklist (1 through 5) and general tips (6 through 10) for successful flights. Can you folks chime in to critique, add or dismiss from this list? Thanks!

1. Cache the map of the area you intend to fly in.
2. Do your calibrations for your maiden flight and every time you fly from a different location.
3. Set your RTH altitude to the lowest height that is applicable, based on your flight plan.
4. Check your wind direction and windspeed at your intended altitude before you fly.
5. Make sure your AC sets its home point since this tells you that its acquired enough satellites.
6. Get up to height but before you set off do a 360 to establish situational awareness.
7. Fly within the wind limits of the Mini but if you're gonna push the threshold, fly into the wind.
8. If you run into problems with the wind activate RTH just to tun the craft to a home heading. (so you know which direction is home) Thereafter cancel RTH, drop down to as low as possible as is safe (based on the terrain) and fly home manually in S mode.
9. Always leave MORE than half the juice in your pack to get back home just in case you need to deal with unexpected situations.
10. Heed the AC's warnings.

Reactions: 3rdYorkshireman
I like where you are going. There are many checklists found in a search HERE.

Based on my MP experience:
2. You should calibrate only if the app suggests it or if there are control problems.
3. Make sure to pad that "lowest height" setting to allow for height variances. You can set the RTH height while at altitude.
4. Wind speed and direction at altitude can only be determined at altitude. Weather apps may not be accurate at your exact location and time. I use trees as my gauge and if Go 4 reports high winds higher up I fly lower until the warning stops or fly another day.
6. Situational awareness is established by the pilot maintaining VLOS of the drone and immediate area. Trying to spot planes/birds/wires/etc on your viewing screen while doing a 360 is nearly impossible. I do scan the area below to see where any people will be so I can avoid them.
8. Only use S mode if P mode cannot beat a head wind. S mode will drain the battery faster. Turning off the forward collision sensors will get you more speed than P mode without excessive battery drain (not applicable on the Mini).

I would add:
• Check lens for dirt or smudges.
• Check props for fit and damage. Some do this after a flight to allow for replacement time before the next flight.
• Check batteries for fit and damage. A close inspection after use and charging would be a good time to detect swelling.

Reactions: 3rdYorkshireman
Hi all, one question as I didn't wanted to open a new thread for it.
So the recorded flight videos are visible inside the dji app, while the pictures are not.

Hence I was wondering if by connecting the drone to my laptop using the provided USB cable, can help me transfer the pictures from the sd card?
My laptop doesn't have a card reader so I cannot use this function.

Please advise, thanks

So the recorded flight videos are visible inside the dji app, while the pictures are not.

Hence I was wondering if by connecting the drone to my laptop using the provided USB cable, can help me transfer the pictures from the sd card?

Please advise, thanks

Try looking at this thread and see if it helps. How to transfer files from Mavic to PC via USB?

Reactions: dr_dumi

Please advise, thanks
All you have to do is get a USB to SD card reader, works fine and faster than using usb cable direct
I don't know what if you have usb 3.0 or not but something similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Reader-Adapter-Micro-UHS-I-Cards/dp/B07L63Z54G/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1O3K54QKNPTR7&keywords=usb+sd+card+reader&qid=1577244768&sprefix=,aps,181&sr=8-8

Reactions: dr_dumi
Hi And always remember whether beginners or been at it for a long time reading the forums we all make mistakes that a lot of times result in expensive repairs.

Look in some other mavic groups, and search for a checklist. I asked the same question, and received some great ones....best.

So I've been reading MANY, MANY threads on this and other forums about the Mini ... it's pros ... cons ... and the good and bad experiences out there. It's occurred to me that maybe we (especially newbies like myself) should establish a sort of pre flight check and tips list? I mean if "real" pilots do then why shouldn't we right?
tongue.gif
Anyways, I've come up with MY pre flight checklist (1 through 5) and general tips (6 through 10) for successful flights. Can you folks chime in to critique, add or dismiss from this list? Thanks!

2. Do your calibrations for your maiden flight and every time you fly from a different location.
3. Set your RTH altitude to the lowest height that is applicable, based on your flight plan.
4. Check your wind direction and windspeed at your intended altitude before you fly.
5. Make sure your AC sets its home point since this tells you that its acquired enough satellites.
6. Get up to height but before you set off do a 360 to establish situational awareness.
7. Fly within the wind limits of the Mini but if you're gonna push the threshold, fly into the wind.
8. If you run into problems with the wind activate RTH just to tun the craft to a home heading. (so you know which direction is home) Thereafter cancel RTH, drop down to as low as possible as is safe (based on the terrain) and fly home manually in S mode.
9. Always leave MORE than half the juice in your pack to get back home just in case you need to deal with unexpected situations.
That is a great list...#8 kinda worries me. I had a problem, and fought the urge to use S mode, but let RTH do its job, alI well, a Mav Air. I would not over-complicate, and add much more. Follow your list, in open enviroments, and in good weather conditions. You will do fine.

I suggest placing a txt file on your SD card with you contact info on it just in case you lose the Mini and a kind hearted soul with good intentions finds it.

tongue.gif

I just re-read your post. You are 1000% right to have a checklist. It is a must do. It is so easy to forget 1 little thing that ruins your day. I did a difficult flight New Years Eve, with a Mav2Pro, dual operators, and a downrange spotter, filming fireworks, over water & crowds, at night. We would all be spread apart almost 500m during the work...I have lots of experience, and the 1st thing in the morning was to make a pre-flight gear inventory, a pre-flight meeting with the other ppl, establish operator comms protocol (anyone can abort the flight with a single word)....a pre-flight test checklist, (and do a test) and a 2-3 bullet point reminder for video operator to set the video settings properly, and for me (pilot) to turn OFF all the collision sensors. Lightning and fireworks dazzle the sensors and the AC thinks it is hitting an obstacle, and will stop, turn, etc.

I ALWAYS use a basic checklist when just flying about, having fun. Your list covers them all :cool:

I just re-read your post. You are 1000% right to have a checklist. . . .

I ALWAYS use a basic checklist when just flying about, having fun. Your list covers them all :cool:

the only thing I might add is that, at the time of take off and throughout your flight, make note of a safe place to set the AC down in case of an adverse event. Sometimes the best response to wind or another emergency situation ia not to try to bring it home — set it down where you can do so quickly and safely and then go get it.

the only thing I might add is that, at the time of take off and throughout your flight, make note of a safe place to set the AC down in case of an adverse event. Sometimes the best response to wind or another emergency situation ia not to try to bring it home — set it down where you can do so quickly and safely and then go get it.
Well noted sir..drones can injure...I've gone through my mind thinking about needing to do a CSC, ever. Safety 1st, you gotta do what you gotta do. I have tried to plan well, and never to be in that situation....best.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada