DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Compass Calibration Questions

Videoman

Reactions
Just wanting to check with everyone on something regarding compass calibration on the Mavic. So my 2 questions are:

1. If on start-up, the Mavic does not say anything about requiring a calibration, does that mean I do not have to do one?
2. If I have flown half way around the world, take out my Mavic and start it up, will it then tell me I need a calibration?

I'm also interested to hear from others who have taken their Mavic's half way around the world and not done a calibration ... and their Mavic's have still flown perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: DesertDweller
Hi Videoman, I am also a beginner, but so far I have only calibrated the mavic when it says it's required. Only once so far, however, I haven't traveled to far with it. Too busy. No issues as of now. Happy flying.

Reactions: Videoman
Hi Videoman, I am also a beginner, but so far I have only calibrated the mavic when it says it's required. Only once so far, however, I haven't traveled to far with it. Too busy. No issues as of now. Happy flying.
Yep same here ... was just concerned as I'm traveling on holiday from New Zealand to South Africa in a few weeks and was just wondering if I should re-calibrate when I get there, even if it says I needn't calibrate ... a little saying keeps popping up in my head "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ... LOL

Just wanting to check with everyone on something regarding compass calibration on the Mavic. So my 2 questions are: 1. If on start-up, the Mavic does not say anything about requiring a calibration, does that mean I do not have to do one?
2. If I have flown half way around the world, take out my Mavic and start it up, will it then tell me I need a calibration? I'm also interested to hear from others who have taken their Mavic's half way around the world and not done a calibration ... and their Mavic's have still flown perfectly. Thanks in advance.

I've found that it may or may not tell you to calibrate the compass. If you travel more than a couple hundred miles from the last calibration, it's best to do another calibration for flying in that location whether it says to do so or not. Always a good question and am curious what others have done or experienced?

For most of us the Mavic went half way around the world, since it was calibrated in China, and works perfectly well here.

8 months, over 300 flights, traveled 1000 miles between flights... I've never calibrated and never will unless prompted to.

Perfectly stable and precise headings at all locations.

For most of us the Mavic went half way around the world, since it was calibrated in China, and works perfectly well here. 8 months, over 300 flights, traveled 1000 miles between flights... I've never calibrated and never will unless prompted to.

You're saying you traveled 1000 miles away from home, where you've never calibrated and assumed your Mavic compass was calibrated at the factory in China and you've never had any problems? Seriously, not sarcastic here, just wondering if that is so then your Mavic sits rock-solid in place in a hover? I've traveled only a few hundred miles away from home and my Mavic won't sit still in a hover unless I calibrate the compass.

Ha, I travelled in Australia from South of Sydney up through central NSW into Central Queensland then East to the coast down through Gympie out to the Sunshine Coast then finally home.
Every single location no problem flying, no satellite problems and absolutely no Compass problems. Flights all perfect, hovers like an eagle
Honestly one calibration when I got it new, outside in a very clear area.
Never been prompted, I make sure I am not near any interference, and also wait until every system is up and running with max Sats locked.
I believe a lot of problems are poor take off locations and too much hurry to get the MP up in the air.

You're saying you traveled 1000 miles away from home, where you've never calibrated and assumed your Mavic compass was calibrated at the factory in China and you've never had any problems? Seriously, not sarcastic here, just wondering if that is so then your Mavic sits rock-solid in place in a hover? I've traveled only a few hundred miles away from home and my Mavic won't sit still in a hover unless I calibrate the compass.
Yes, 1000 miles but I assumed nothing. I always checked the heading on the map before flight with the actual aircraft position. And yes it has always been rock steady at all locations.

For most of us the Mavic went half way around the world, since it was calibrated in China, and works perfectly well here.
True ... but am again interested to see how many others have not calibrated their Mavic's even on first receiving them where they were calibrated in China ... and have flown them like that ever since without calibrating ... with absolutely no issues.

True ... but am again interested to see how many others have not calibrated their Mavic's even on first receiving them where they were calibrated in China ... and have flown them like that ever since without calibrating ... with absolutely no issues.
Just read page 52 of the manual. As suggested there, I received my Mavic in March and have never calibrated it as it doesn't need it.

This question keeps coming up again and again. Mavic compass does not need to be calibrated unless you get prompted. I have flown in Europe and just came back from Indonesia, never calibrated once.

Asking this question in a forum like this you will get all sorts of replies, you see that there's mainly two categories: people who calibrate before every flight and others who never do so.

Why risk messing up the factory calibration when the MP is flying fine? Just go out there and enjoy, calibrate only if genuinely prompted. My two cents.

Another vote for not calibrating unless prompted by the app including when traveling great distances. Another thing to point out is even when prompted it may be due to you placing the Mavic on or near a metallic object, could be anything, a man hole cover under some soil or grass, or perhaps what looks like concrete actually has rebar through it.

If you calibrate in such locations you may create more problems. So if you calibrate check the area.

I just got back from my travel 2 weeks back....from CA to HI then Canada BC, no calibration.
1st time I fired up the MP in HI it gave me a Mag Interference/Cal Compass or move to a diff location.
I moved the MP a few feet away, notification went away and I let her rip.

I did a calibration about 3 months ago as while hovering it was rotating to the right.
The issue was that my original calibration was done next to metal pipes.

So if you need to calibrate.
Remove your belt, remove your watch set you phone in fly mode, stay away from metal, wooden planks (as they might have nails inside) and rocks.
Calibrate on grass and open space, that way you wont need to re calibrate in months.

I do it everywhere i fly. Just to be safe.
Hi. From what I've read it is not the best practice to calibrate everywhere. If you did a good calibration away from magnetic interference redoing it were there may be more magnetism may be doing more harm than good.

From what I have read, only re-calibrate only when prompted ( DJI Recommendation )
If I have a good calibration and have not moved very much from the calibration site the aircraft may prompt for a calibration for other reasons like a strong magnetic interference. Try to move the aircraft a couple of feet and maybe the calibration prompt dissapear.

Reactions: Armand V Cpt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr