DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie : do not understand what happened

Graine-d'Étoile

Reactions
Hello dear MM owners !

I just hope you are all well even if stuck home.
I got my MM for my birthday three days ago. I'm in France.
As I'm a beginner, I fly safe, nothing complicated, no crash at all.

It was flying like in a dream, but I almost crashed it yesterday, without understanding why.

The weather was perfect, no wind, 25°C outside.

I was quite high over my home when the low battery alarm started beeping, so I asked the drone to get down (C mode). I had still 5 mins to go at the beginning of the video. Plenty of time to land, in theory.
Then... I lost control, it got totally crazy.
It miraculously stabilized 2m above the ground, and I could land it safely on the deck.

But what happened ? If you've got a clue, I'd be happy to have your opinion.

Link to the video

welcome to the forum

Reactions: Skyfli
Welcome to the world of drones and this forum and you made a good choice with the Mavic Mini.

Well analyzing your situation what I came to the conclusion is:
1) it could be magnetic interference that affected the compass, that usually causes it: antennas, goal, power poles (everything that makes up the magnetic field) and that affects the stability of the drone and the positioning.

2) You said I already gave you the low battery warning, right?
Since you get the low battery warning it is not recommended to continue flying, since the battery does not give enough power to keep everything running smoothly.

Possible solutions that might work:

1) Calibrate the IMU and the compass, the compass has to be calibrated outside, not indoors or in rooms (since this is where the most interference from electronic devices is found) and also that the calibration what it does is to adapt to the environment in which the drone is located, I always calibrate the compass before flying to guarantee that the flight will be stable.

2) Always check the battery level, when it's less than 20% it lands immediately as what you'll do is also reduce the battery life

Welcome!
My suggestion about the situation (assuming flying your drone around and above your house with HP (home point) near your house and 'lost control' means lost connection between AC and RC):
1) You might lost connection because you flew above your head and in this scenario the WiFi signal is very weak because of the RC and AC anntenas orientation. It is recommended to tilt the anntenas on the RC forward to gain better signal.
2) Lost of the RC-AC connection triggered the RTH mode (return to home). Because you were flying very close to the HP (not far than 30 m), auto landing has occured in this case.
3) The AC could not check the landing surface and started to hover over the landing point waiting for confirmation to land.
You didn't write if you regained the control back later but I think so.
Good luck with your next flies and do not forget to study the manuals and DJI video tutorials, it pays off.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54