DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie from Maine

Hermondrone

Reactions
Hi all.
Im sort of retired but one day I contacted a local drone videography company and asked them if a retired guy could get a drone, learn to fly, get Part 107 certification, and make some money while getting to fly enormously sophisticed aircraft. He said, most certainly. He has jobs/missions coming up and he was looking for another pilot. I don't need much encouragement. I researched the available drones commercial pilots were using and, while it was a tough decision between DJI and DJI, I went with DJI. I chose the Mavic 2 Pro because of its portability and capabilities. And, I thought it looked much cooler than the Phantom 4. Also, the future of the P4 seemed squishy - discontinued one year and an incremental upgrade reintroduced a year later. The M2P was the current "it" drone. So I bought the Pro and was dropped-jaw impressed with the technology. I was hooked. Then... I crashed the Pro. I was told I would. It was a flyaway and it was entirely new pilot error. Fortunately, since this was a drone intended for commerce, I purchased the DJI Care Refresh and I used it for this crash. The whole process of sending the drone in, analysis, repair/replace options (I replaced), and return worked flawlessly. I also realized that a second drone would be required for redundancy. I decided on a P4 since versions of that were in my price range (could not spend a penny more than my $1200 stimulus check) and found a DJI refurbished P4P for $1199.00. Bingo. I am now the owner of two drones, I just passed the part 107 exam on Friday (PSI testing centers are currently reopening and scheduling tests for those thinking of going commercial). The best part is Im pretty certain I have a job as a pilot. So, some positive news in the midst of this craziness.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching Thumbswayup

Welcome to the Forum! You will find a lot of great information here. Feel free to shoot us a message if you have any questions about your aircraft!

Thanks,
FDS Team

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome, Hermondrone, to the Forum!
You're lucky to live in such a scenic area. Love New England, though I've not been there with my drone.

Congrats on passing your part 107 exam. Hope you get plenty of work! You'll find help available here whenever you need it!

Please share some of your stuff with us!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome from the mountains of Colorado. We've been to Maine several times and love the area. Congrats on the new venture. While I would love to be able to do something like that my flying and photography skills, or lack of skills may be a better statement, just aren't there yet. Maybe someday but not for a while. Being retired myself since the age of 50 I think I have plenty of time to hone my skills. Good luck and happy flying!

Hi all.
Im sort of retired but one day I contacted a local drone videography company and asked them if a retired guy could get a drone, learn to fly, get Part 107 certification, and make some money while getting to fly enormously sophisticed aircraft. He said, most certainly. He has jobs/missions coming up and he was looking for another pilot. I don't need much encouragement. I researched the available drones commercial pilots were using and, while it was a tough decision between DJI and DJI, I went with DJI. I chose the Mavic 2 Pro because of its portability and capabilities. And, I thought it looked much cooler than the Phantom 4. Also, the future of the P4 seemed squishy - discontinued one year and an incremental upgrade reintroduced a year later. The M2P was the current "it" drone. So I bought the Pro and was dropped-jaw impressed with the technology. I was hooked. Then... I crashed the Pro. I was told I would. It was a flyaway and it was entirely new pilot error. Fortunately, since this was a drone intended for commerce, I purchased the DJI Care Refresh and I used it for this crash. The whole process of sending the drone in, analysis, repair/replace options (I replaced), and return worked flawlessly. I also realized that a second drone would be required for redundancy. I decided on a P4 since versions of that were in my price range (could not spend a penny more than my $1200 stimulus check) and found a DJI refurbished P4P for $1199.00. Bingo. I am now the owner of two drones, I just passed the part 107 exam on Friday (PSI testing centers are currently reopening and scheduling tests for those thinking of going commercial). The best part is Im pretty certain I have a job as a pilot. So, some positive news in the midst of this craziness.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Congrats on your certification, Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme