DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie from Northland New Zealand

wendyc

Reactions
Hi all, Im a photographer running my own studio and wanting to expand into real estate photography with DEKRIT, as a contractor. I have been dying for a drone, love aerial photography and video, and so finally had a reason to buy one ;) Maybe overkill for real estate but for my own enjoyment I bought the Mavic 2 Pro. I've swotted up on all the rules and am busting to get out there and do some video of our beautiful area called the Bay of Islands. So many rules and regs take away a bit of the fun but I guess they have to be there.
Any other kiwis knowing any useful info on access to gorgeous spots, I would love to hear from you, especially from Northland

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: wendyc
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup
Thanks guys

Hi all, Im a photographer running my own studio and wanting to expand into real estate photography with DEKRIT, as a contractor. I have been dying for a drone, love aerial photography and video, and so finally had a reason to buy one ;) Maybe overkill for real estate but for my own enjoyment I bought the Mavic 2 Pro. I've swotted up on all the rules and am busting to get out there and do some video of our beautiful area called the Bay of Islands. So many rules and regs take away a bit of the fun but I guess they have to be there.
Any other kiwis knowing any useful info on access to gorgeous spots, I would love to hear from you, especially from Northland
Having lived in Auckland, I know how beautiful the Bay of Islands is! I still miss the Kerikeri oranges.
Wendy, you will love the Mavic as a flying photographic platform. I have found it amazing what you can do with the .dng files, the panos you can do are fantastic.
Just practice and gain confidence on wide open spaces first.
Kind regards from Vancouver Island on Canada's west coast,
Ernst

Oh Wow, you've been here, I am surrounded in orange trees and the ones around me are organic and unpicked, so I pick them and live on oranges as well as share them around when they are ripe. Such a sweet and healthy fruit! I was practicing yesterday, just off beginner mode now, and the workers were picking next door, so I peeped over the tall redwood trees very carefully and it was awesome to see them working away, totally oblivious.

Thanks for the hint on panos, I will have to research that. Was only just teaching myself the intelligent flight modes and best camera settings etc. Its great, very exciting, but I so wish we had more freedom, the sensible ones who stick to the rules

Reactions: mereflyer
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic 2 Pro, I love mine. Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome. I live in Christchurch but am overseas with my Mavic Air at present.
Can’t comment on anything north of Wellington but if you come down my way let us know and I come fly with you.
Sign up to AirShare and research on this forum for other Aps that you may find useful. I’m also using Alpenglow, UAVforcast and Drone Zones especially while overseas. Check a few each time you fly to get an overall view.
Google the local city or council websites. They are pretty up to date with their rules.
Also, ask. I’ve only been turned down once.

Happy flying.

Hi from central Florida .... get some videos going ... I’d like to see the oranges [emoji521]
Lol, they are still a bit green, but I sure will do, especially for you.

Welcome. I live in Christchurch but am overseas with my Mavic Air at present.
Can’t comment on anything north of Wellington but if you come down my way let us know and I come fly with you.
Sign up to AirShare and research on this forum for other Aps that you may find useful. I’m also using Alpenglow, UAVforcast and Drone Zones especially while overseas. Check a few each time you fly to get an overall view.
Google the local city or council websites. They are pretty up to date with their rules.
Also, ask. I’ve only been turned down once.

Happy flying.
Cheers Herbie, awesome advice, I have been looking around for everything I can find :) Have you ever asked Doc permission to fly? Wondering how they are, I know you can apply for a three month license thing.

Nice to hear from you. Your area sounds beautiful. Yep, we have lots of rules here too but since we're sharing airspace they are made for everyone's safety.

I too am relatively new with my Mavic 2 Pro. I am a commercial pilot (FAA 107 cert. - USA) and am currently doing work for my town. Enjoy your new craft!!!

Hi, and welcome to the world of UAV flying in New Zealand. I am not a professional photographer but have extended my life long interest in photography to include aerial photography.
I live on the South Island's Westcoast, moving to Westport from Christchurch close to 5 years ago now.
I can agree with your thoughts about "so many rules...". Completed my 101 and 102 in March, but "muffed" one particular exercise in the flying practical. The company who completed that assessment have just advised me of a free reassessment - possibly in Nelson - because of some issues which contributed to me not being able to meet their assessment requirements.
I think my biggest "bug bear" at the moment is also a worldwide problem. DJI's Fly Safe system is proving to be a real headache for me. Westport's airport has a 4km radius which essentially encompasses the whole town. Up until last week I was able to obtain authorisation from AirShare to fly within that 4km zone because my flying was shielded. Now, I can't even start the motors of my Mavic 2 Pro. Flying elsewhere on the Westcoast can be just as difficult with more than 66% of Westcoast land locked up in the DOC conservation estate where even gaining a permit to fly is almost impossible.
Despite a large number of emails between myself and DJI the path to resolving "user authorisation failure" notices seems as if it will be long and tortuous. DJI at the moment suggest the fault may be with the Cystalsky monitor I am using. I'm sceptical, but I will try to follow through with their suggestions, ruling it in or out as a problem - when it stops raining here!
All that said, the combination of flying, aerial photography, videography has me hooked, so I wish you well working and flying in the Bay of Islands - which I have only seen from the air in recent years!
I find "MavicPilots" a great forum, following threads pretty much everyday as well as contributing from time to time.

Last edited:
Hi.

Lucky you living over on the coast, I visit frequently and would move in a heart beat if the wife would let me.
Go mostly down south Westland hunting’s and tramping.
Have you ever got a doc permit? I have looked them up and apart from the cost seem reasonably easy to get, but I haven’t flown in any of their land yet so haven’t bothered.
I’ve got permits to take my dog hunting easily enough through the local doc office, as long as they aren’t banned from an area for any particular reason.
Would be great to see any footage you’ve managed to get.
Have toyed with the idea of my 102 as well.

Thank you for your lovely message, its so interesting reading about other droners as I call them, sorry is that a bad term? What are we called? Pilots? :). Anyway, sounds like you are in a prison there, a lot of this area is out of the 4km radius and I have chatted to the guys who own and run helicopters in this area, they are super friendly. As for other places, I have popped the drone up and had no problem, often asking permission, once to a Motel owner at the falls on the river, no problem, go on right down she said. I know all the rules and am good at keeping to them, however I do wonder if we were to pop the drone up for some quick filming in doc land if it would really be a huge problem, I guess depending where it is. For example at Matauri bay, I asked a few beach goers if it was ok as I was doing some practising and was wayyyy to the popular side of the bay as well, they said no problem and I was careful not to be a pest and fly away from swimmers etc. I did a bad video and put it together but have since improved quite a lot and using tripod mode too. But you may like to see this lovely bay, I am not sure if I should have asked anyone else but the doc website said no applications needed to fly up here - Doc rules - link to the bad video :)

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3