DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie looking for advice shooting soccer games

gregmavic

Reactions
All,

I specifically bought the Mavic Pro as it wasn't much more money than a nice camcorder or DSLR camera with video. I mainly purchased it to film my son's soccer games to create highlight footage for college recruiting. I am hoping for some help from the group. I did search all forums so I hope my questions have not been asked. Keep in mind I'm a newbie (3 total flights).

1. Have you received complaints filming sporting events from players, coaches, referees, parents, etc.? I DO NOT want to be a nuisance. Noise is more concerning than sight in my opinion. I would love if no one even noticed I was filming.
2. What mode do you suggest I film in? I'd like it to be as automated as possible since i'm new. I played around with Waypoints, Tripod and Point of Interest today. My issue was that the gimbal was not focusing on anything in Waypoints and Tripod. In Point of Interest I'm not sure it could focus on anything as the players and ball are always moving. I would use ActiveTrack but I worry if I'm following a player (ie my son) it is going to want to get too close. I prefer it not fly over the field as it would distract players. I assume shooting with a zoom in one of these settings would be best? I think you can't zoom in 4K. I don't know how to zoom at this point.
3. Are there any accessories to the Mavic Pro I need to shoot?

I'm sure I will have follow-ups as I'm new but I think this is a good start. I appreciate any and all help. Glad I found the community.

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:
Even though it sounds like a cool idea to film your son's soccer games, and I can see why you'd want to try this, I don't see this working out well for you.

In order for you to get any good shots of your son, I'm afraid you'd have to be low enough for the drone to be easily audible and very visible. You cannot use zoom in 4K mode, and even if you do use zoom, the footage is pretty grainy when you zoom in very far and it's hard to stay focused on a moving subject.

*** The first time the other team misses a goal or makes a mistake and your drone is anywhere in sight or can be heard, you KNOW the other coach or other parents are going to blame the drone. Even the parents or coach on YOUR team might complain if Johnny is playing 100% because he might have been looking at the drone.

I haven't run into many boys who aren't fascinated by the mavic, and it is going to be a distraction to them unless it's so far away that no one knows it's there, in which case you wouldn't be able to distinguish your son from the other players in the video because he'd be so far away.

I'm afraid you may need to wait on two things:
1) technology gets to a point where drones being made are almost silent
2) drones become so commonplace in our society where there can be a few flying around a sporting event and no one notices or cares.

I hope this isn't too much rain on your parade. You still have the most world's most awesome flying camera and I'm sure you'll find a fun way to use it. Eight months in, and I still go to the nearby park and fly mine at least once or twice every week, weather permitting. I'm just in awe at all of the technology at work at once in that speedy little beast, and the sense of complete control is a constant rush for me.

Good Luck.

Welcome to the forums, Greg. I don't know if it's illegal, or just an FAA recommendation, but flying over crowds will get you in trouble. I also think that @TrayBoz made a great point - in that the drone will interfere with the game. Because so many people watch the news, those - who are not us - have a hypersensitivity to drones, and believe that all drones are used for is spying. So you will get mixed emotions from those who are non-participants in your flight. Finally, as a new pilot you really don't want to be flying over a crowd of people (or even as an experienced pilot). If "anything" goes wrong, you don't yet possess the skills to react properly (no offense intended). We all started somewhere...

I was at a high school soccer game last year and a parent had a drone up. I thought it was cool and unique. You couldn't hear it (it was a Phantom), but they kept it over the stands at the end of the field where few if anyone sat. Nobody complained that I know of and everyone who noticed it thought it was cool for just a few min and then went back to watching the game. So in short all they did was fly it up about 60-70 feet and it just hovered in place rather than chasing the ball all over the field. Maybe their kid was the goalie?

Obviously not a good idea to fly over the crowd or pitch but with a bit of planning you could probably get some nice shots, although I doubt you will be able to distinguish between players that well as with height and distance the camera will not resolve much detail. Hopefully the sound of the crowd will mask the noise and the Mavic when up about 70-100 feet and at distance is pretty small in the sky.

I would use something like Autoflight Logic or Litchi for this sort of thing and create predefined zip lines (I'm using autoflight logics terms) and basic waypoint missions that you can save and then call up as and when needed. Set the point at which the camera points somewhere on the centre of the pitch to get the best chance of capturing the ball. You could also take a bird eye shot from about 300 feet still clear of the pitch and the crowd but it may give you the impression your flew over the pitch or close to it.

The other benefit with saving flights in this way is you can fly them again and again so can practise before the game and check its clear of crowds and not too visible.

I would also get yourself a DJI OSMO or OSMO Mobile and film from the ground rather than the air as you'll be closer.

Reactions: newguy
Even though it sounds like a cool idea to film your son's soccer games, and I can see why you'd want to try this, I don't see this working out well for you.

In order for you to get any good shots of your son, I'm afraid you'd have to be low enough for the drone to be easily audible and very visible. You cannot use zoom in 4K mode, and even if you do use zoom, the footage is pretty grainy when you zoom in very far and it's hard to stay focused on a moving subject.

*** The first time the other team misses a goal or makes a mistake and your drone is anywhere in sight or can be heard, you KNOW the other coach or other parents are going to blame the drone. Even the parents or coach on YOUR team might complain if Johnny is playing 100% because he might have been looking at the drone.

I haven't run into many boys who aren't fascinated by the mavic, and it is going to be a distraction to them unless it's so far away that no one knows it's there, in which case you wouldn't be able to distinguish your son from the other players in the video because he'd be so far away.

2) drones become so commonplace in our society where there can be a few flying around a sporting event and no one notices or cares.

I hope this isn't too much rain on your parade. You still have the most world's most awesome flying camera and I'm sure you'll find a fun way to use it. Eight months in, and I still go to the nearby park and fly mine at least once or twice every week, weather permitting. I'm just in awe at all of the technology at work at once in that speedy little beast, and the sense of complete control is a constant rush for me.

Good Luck.
I agree, the parents at these games nowadays are crazy.. Don't want to hinder Johnny from getting that athletic scholarship or from making the Olympic squad because of those pesky drones SMH

All,

I specifically bought the Mavic Pro as it wasn't much more money than a nice camcorder or DSLR camera with video. I mainly purchased it to film my son's soccer games to create highlight footage for college recruiting. I am hoping for some help from the group. I did search all forums so I hope my questions have not been asked. Keep in mind I'm a newbie (3 total flights).

1. Have you received complaints filming sporting events from players, coaches, referees, parents, etc.? I DO NOT want to be a nuisance. Noise is more concerning than sight in my opinion. I would love if no one even noticed I was filming.
2. What mode do you suggest I film in? I'd like it to be as automated as possible since i'm new. I played around with Waypoints, Tripod and Point of Interest today. My issue was that the gimbal was not focusing on anything in Waypoints and Tripod. In Point of Interest I'm not sure it could focus on anything as the players and ball are always moving. I would use ActiveTrack but I worry if I'm following a player (ie my son) it is going to want to get too close. I prefer it not fly over the field as it would distract players. I assume shooting with a zoom in one of these settings would be best? I think you can't zoom in 4K. I don't know how to zoom at this point.
3. Are there any accessories to the Mavic Pro I need to shoot?

I'm sure I will have follow-ups as I'm new but I think this is a good start. I appreciate any and all help. Glad I found the community.

Thanks,
Greg
I usually do practices with the coaches consent.. Games will be close to impossible

Use the drone to capture aerial video and a video camera (or as I do, use the mavic folded up with my WiFi tablet) for the close ups on the ground and then edit together. This makes for much better and more interesting footage than just aerial or just ground footage. You will have to really be on the move constantly to get the footage or use more than one camera-person!

Reactions: Stride8
As a "retired" videographer, my advice to you would be : enjoy the game and leave your quad copter / mavic at home. You'll see a lot more of the game and save yourself a lot of legal bills when the worst case scenario unfolds.

Sports-video aesthetics dictate multiple camera angles. You want images from all angles: overhead, underfoot, POV.

Your best bet is to use a traditional camera to record the games (or use the Mavic with those handle things :) ) You could use the Mavic at an exhibition game (with coach and ref approval) and use those clips as "b-roll" footage. Heck, I'd strap a Go Pro to the boy to get that awesome POV footage. :)

I shot some soccer footage a few months ago for a friend who coaches a team of high school age players. It was a lot like other posters here have said. In order to film without being over the spectators or the field and to be quiet enough so as not to disturb the players, I ended up filming from 180 to 200 feet above ground level and well back from the sidelines. From that location, the footage wasn't suitable to highlight individual players. But, my friend was grateful anyway because it did give an excellent view of the overall field of play, passing strategies, etc. The coaches were able to use some of the video to teach players where they were leaving gaps in coverage, missing open players, that kind of thing.

In the end, I didn't film any more than just the one game and the team opted for a tripod and boom setup that could be used from the sideline for closer coverage without risk of disrupting the game or accidentally injuring someone. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

In Switzerland you can't fly if there are more than 24 people in the ground

Edit : not sure if in or on the ground....

Last edited:
Like FLYGUY said... Sports-video aesthetics dictate multiple camera angles. You want images from all angles: overhead, underfoot, POV.

Remember, Video is an "Up-close Medium" We NEVER shot with less than 3 cameras and one of them was on close-ups. One was Close and medium, The last camera in the chain was to "Save your ***" when you lost the shot ( and establishing shots ). Watching specs running around on the field will get old..
Rule 1... No Zooming in and out.
Rule 2 No Fire hosing swinging the camera back and forth between subjects.
Dramamine used to prevent sea sickness and motion sickness in moving vehicles, not watching video.

I have recorded a few of my son's soccer games. The coach even asks to see the footage to help with getting the boys to understand keeping their shape on the field. If even help my MP in my hand to record the footage and it works great. Getting up close and personal shots are not gonna happen during a game. But take her up pick a corner away from people or what ever goal you wanna film from and go at it. I always fly high enough not to disturb too much and far enough away to be clear of people in case of a mishap. Good luck, fly safe and have fun.

I found the DJI Osmo plus great for filming the kids LAX and soccer Games. It has a mechanical zoom and you you just use the joystick to pan back and forth. you can get up close shoots even sitting in the stands

Not that anyone is going to watch this match but here is a example

Last edited:
I've got a daughter in Travel soccer on the local "A" team and I too have concluded it will not be possible. I did a test video in flight with my car and to get a useful shot of the car I had to bring the MP down pretty low. That's going to be impossible at a soccer match, not to mention that there are a ton of other games going on at adjacent fields and a bunch of spectators on the sidelines.

Re: filming sports - I've been working on an iOS app that automatically builds commonly used flights plans for fields and has specific control modes for fields. It's called Gamekeepr, its currently in beta and you can request it at www.gamekeepr.com.

If there are any experienced pilots in this community that are interested in helping test fly and make the app more robust and safe for the sporting community, please sign up. I am very interested in the feedback on features, performance and safety from this community first.

PS - I know flying at sporting events, fields and near crowds has many implications. I am working hard to educate the market through the blog (www.gamekeepr.com/blog/) and am developing this with safety as a priority.

Good Luck.
I gotta agree with this post.

I gotta agree with this post.
Have to agree with this post. At many venues (National League, DPL and others), they won't allow you to fly. I've filmed my kids teams for over 4 years - had to go with a telescopic pole for this (use one from SVT Advantage). Doesn't give the same feel as the drone - but I can get really good footage, zoom in, zooom out, and it is what is needed for film study and recruiting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada