DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie M3P question

Frosty Of The North

Reactions
I have a lot of hours of Mini 1 and 2 flights under my belt, which I've flown using an iPhone or cell-enabled iPad. With those devices, I grew to rely on the map in the lower left of the app to identify the surroundings. But with the Mini 3 Pro's controller, since it's not a cell-enabled device, that map section is just a thumbnail/placeholder that does not provide updated visual information.

How do I get proper map functionality on the DJI RC? I imagine that I'm missing something simple (maybe connecting my phone for map info to be updated?) but my Google searches are coming up empty.

I have a lot of hours of Mini 1 and 2 flights under my belt, which I've flown using an iPhone or cell-enabled iPad. With those devices, I grew to rely on the map in the lower left of the app to identify the surroundings. But with the Mini 3 Pro's controller, since it's not a cell-enabled device, that map section is just a thumbnail/placeholder that does not provide updated visual information.

How do I get proper map functionality on the DJI RC? I imagine that I'm missing something simple (maybe connecting my phone for map info to be updated?) but my Google searches are coming up empty.
In order for the map to update, there must be a data connection. You can connect at home and cache the map or tether it to your phone hot spot, this is my choice.

Reactions: RogerDH
In order for the map to update, there must be a data connection. You can connect at home and cache the map or tether it to your phone hot spot, this is my choice.
Tether with a cable? Does it work wirelessly too, if I hotspot the phone?

I'll have to Google how to download and cache map data to the controller.

Tether with a cable? Does it work wirelessly too, if I hotspot the phone?

I'll have to Google how to download and cache map data to the controller.
Yes... Turn on your phone's hot spot and pull down the menu on the controller (assume DJI RC) and pair your phone's wifi hot spot with your controller. Alternately, at home you can turn your drone and controller on while you have wifi and zoom into the area that you wish to fly. The map will download at home as well. I don't think the Mini 3 maps are as detailed as the ones that pop on you the phone spontaneously as you would fly a Mini2, but they seem to be adequate.

Reactions: Frosty Of The North
Worth noting that the controller automatically switches off its WiFi and Bluetooth when you take off, so if you want the maps to continue to update as you fly then you'll need to switch wifi back on, on the controller.

Reactions: Frosty Of The North
Worth noting that the controller automatically switches off its WiFi and Bluetooth when you take off, so if you want the maps to continue to update as you fly then you'll need to switch wifi back on, on the controller.
This is the part that was confusing to me when I first got the Mini 3 Pro. I saw the notification that Wifi and Bluetooth were disabled, so I didn't think that I could use my phone to update maps as I fly. Are you saying that I can re-connect to my phone once I'm flying?

Yes... Turn on your phone's hot spot and pull down the menu on the controller (assume DJI RC) and pair your phone's wifi hot spot with your controller. Alternately, at home you can turn your drone and controller on while you have wifi and zoom into the area that you wish to fly. The map will download at home as well. I don't think the Mini 3 maps are as detailed as the ones that pop on you the phone spontaneously as you would fly a Mini2, but they seem to be adequate.
Noted, thanks. I didn't understand the part about loading the map on Wifi before a flight to cache the data.

It's too bad that the maps aren't as detailed as they were with the Mini 2. With the Mini 2 I relied on detailed maps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS