DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question about RTH

LifesShort

Reactions
I'm a newbie, so please bear with me. If I am flying from the top of a hill and fly down to an altitude below my location, is my RTH height the height above the ground at the drone's location or mine? I'm sure it has to be mine, but just thought I'd double-check with those with much more knowledge than I. Thanks.

2nd post to avoid any confusion.
The drone has no knowledge of its height above the ground beneath it UNLESS it is low enough for any downwards-looking vision-sensors on the bottom of the drone to detected the ground

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I'm a newbie, so please bear with me. If I am flying from the top of a hill and fly down to an altitude below my location, is my RTH height the height above the ground at the drone's location or mine? I'm sure it has to be mine, but just thought I'd double-check with those with much more knowledge than I.
All heights are relative to the home point (Home = zero)

Just out of curiousity, if, during a flight, the homepoint is reset to the drones position is the indicated height reset to 0?
Obviously a fairly easy thing to check but I where I am at the moment is not suitable to such experiments.

Reactions: Jane Duff
Just out of curiousity, if, during a flight, the homepoint is reset to the drones position is the indicated height reset to 0?
A homepoint has lat/long but has no height associated with it.
The zero height remains as it was.

Reactions: pelagic_one
A homepoint has lat/long but has no height associated with it.
The zero height remains as it was.
Exactly. The zero height now remains the same zero relative to the initial Home Point recorded at takeoff.

But it wasn't always that way. The original Phantom-1 would record a new zero height whenever the Home Point was changed.

DJI fixed that issue as it was being used to crack the ultimate ceiling limitation. Let's say DJI hardcoded an ultimate ceiling of 100m (I don't remember what the actual number was). The Phantom couldn't exceed that height. But if you climb to 100m, then reset the Home Point, it would reset the altitude readout to zero allowing the Phantom to climb yet another 100m, etc.

That's no longer possible as the height reading now remains anchored to the initial zero at takeoff.

At the time, people were wondering what would happen if RTH is triggered and the Phantom returns to "land" at its Home Position which was recorded at some altitude above ground. Would it shut off its motors and drop from there, or would it continue to descend until touching ground? That's why I made this video at the time.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I'm a newbie, so please bear with me. If I am flying from the top of a hill and fly down to an altitude below my location, is my RTH height the height above the ground at the drone's location or mine? I'm sure it has to be mine, but just thought I'd double-check with those with much more knowledge than I. Thanks.
Your RTH Height needs to be high enough to clear ANY and ALL obstacles around YOU.
Correction...
ANY and ALL obstacles between the drone and you.

Last edited:
Reactions: LifesShort
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143