DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question on e2 class airspace

marcincan

Reactions
Hi everyone I am a new pilot with a brand new Mavic Mini (I am from Canada) My friend lives in Washington State and her house is in E2 class air space (just on the edge) and She asked if if I could film from roof top height of a painting project at her house and I am unsure as I am just learning about all the rules (I do have my Transport Canada Basic licence and an FAA registration)
Thanks in advance

• E1 – Class E Airspace at and above 14,500 feet MSL
  • E2 – Class E airspace areas designated as a surface area for an airport
  • E3 – Class E Airspace Areas Designated As An Extension To A Class C Surface Area
  • E4 – Class E Airspace Areas Designated as an Extension to a Class D or Class E Surface Area
  • E5 – Class E Airspace Areas Extending Upward From 700 Feet Or More Above The Surface of The Earth
  • E6 – En route Domestic Airspace Areas
  • E7 – Offshore Airspace Areas
  • E8 – Class E Airspace Areas

Are you sure it’s E2? That would put her very close to an airport, in which you probably will be better off using a pole mounted camera in this situation.

I wonder if the mini can be attached to the top of a pole, with the tilt lift camera on it, it might actually make a pretty good remote controled pole camera.

I made an adapter for my DSLR to attach it to the top of a painters pole, you can get them as high as 17 feet with an extending pole from Lowes or Home Depot.

Last edited:
Reactions: marcincan
Even easier: use FAA's Facilities map. AirMap and Kittyhawk shows the FM as well in order to facilitate LAANC. LAANC is how you quickly get approval to fly in controlled airspace.

I just checked it. It is considered controlled airspace, and the airport participates in LAANC. You show to be on the edge of the airspace but not under a flight path. You're good up to the full 400 feet but you still have to get clearance through LAANC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme