DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Question - Part 2

TonyT67

Reactions
Never having had a Drone before and in the market to buy one there is a lot of information here which is great, however, it is also not great as it is very confusing from a newbie perspective.

Trying to get a clear view on whether to buy a new drone (MA2) is proving difficult. I am based in the UK and my intent is only ever to be a leisure flyer.

Whilst we never can be certain what the future holds, to summarise the great feedback I have received so far, the key points I have picked up to consider what to buy and when to buy it are:-

• If I buy a new Drone now (e.g. MA2 which is above 250g), I must register with the CAA as a leisure flyer, pass my test, pay my annual fee and I can then fly in a lot of places (subject to air restrictions).

• I must comply with the Drone Code which, amongst other things, stipulates that I must stay at least 50m away from People (known and unknown) and Properties.

• UK (EU) Drone legislation is changing later this year and again in 2022 which means that all current Drones will be classed as a “legacy” Drone. This also applies to the new Mavic Air 2 given its UK (EU) classification. Existing MA2 classifications will not change now that it has been registered and launched.

• From 2022, all “legacy” Drones (e.g. MA2) flown by leisure pilots, will then be subject to more restricted flying for example the current limit of 50m clearance from People (known and unknown) and Properties will change to 150m clearance. This will clearly further restrict the areas you can fly your ‘legacy’ Drone.

• I can take further exams at that time to lift some of these new restrictions or buy a new Drone that complies with the new legislation (e.g. different classifications, improved features, etc).

• At the moment outside of the US, the MA2 does support AirSense and it never will as it requires a hardware change. There is likely to be a new model of the ‘EU’ MA2 at some point in the next couple of months to support AirSense but nothing has been confirmed. However, even with AirSense this won’t solve all the new UK( EU) legislation issues in 2022.
Have I captured all the key, high level points or have I missed something?

Thanks,

Tony

spot on but of course it has to become law before it can happen, so in the meantime its more important to get rid of this virus and stay alive,than worry to much about it at the moment,

The path that the powers that be have not impressed me due to their 'haphazard' modifications of the rules and regs to date and I fully expect the 2022 ruling to change or be modified - as they do. ;)

We will just have to see what happens. They might change their minds re the legacy drones definitions perhaps.

Anyway, by that time my Pro 2 might want to be retired then I can go to M3P.

Never having had a Drone before and in the market to buy one there is a lot of information here which is great, however, it is also not great as it is very confusing from a newbie perspective.

Trying to get a clear view on whether to buy a new drone (MA2) is proving difficult. I am based in the UK and my intent is only ever to be a leisure flyer.

Whilst we never can be certain what the future holds, to summarise the great feedback I have received so far, the key points I have picked up to consider what to buy and when to buy it are:-

• If I buy a new Drone now (e.g. MA2 which is above 250g), I must register with the CAA as a leisure flyer, pass my test, pay my annual fee and I can then fly in a lot of places (subject to air restrictions).

• I must comply with the Drone Code which, amongst other things, stipulates that I must stay at least 50m away from People (known and unknown) and Properties.

• UK (EU) Drone legislation is changing later this year and again in 2022 which means that all current Drones will be classed as a “legacy” Drone. This also applies to the new Mavic Air 2 given its UK (EU) classification. Existing MA2 classifications will not change now that it has been registered and launched.

• From 2022, all “legacy” Drones (e.g. MA2) flown by leisure pilots, will then be subject to more restricted flying for example the current limit of 50m clearance from People (known and unknown) and Properties will change to 150m clearance. This will clearly further restrict the areas you can fly your ‘legacy’ Drone.

• I can take further exams at that time to lift some of these new restrictions or buy a new Drone that complies with the new legislation (e.g. different classifications, improved features, etc).

• At the moment outside of the US, the MA2 does support AirSense and it never will as it requires a hardware change. There is likely to be a new model of the ‘EU’ MA2 at some point in the next couple of months to support AirSense but nothing has been confirmed. However, even with AirSense this won’t solve all the new UK( EU) legislation issues in 2022.
Have I captured all the key, high level points or have I missed something?

Thanks,

Tony
That should be labelled a guide rather than a query IMO, it's so well researched!

I was so tempted by the AIr 2, but I'm thinking (hoping..) the Mavic 3 will be under 900g and have airsense. I bought a mini on a whim but its handily future proofed, and actually amazingly good by any standards. (I have a 2016 P3Pro and a 2017 Mavic pro) so I'll wait with bated breath for the M3, even if it's year end before it hits the streets (figuratively..) I considered a Autel Evo2 but clunky controls and porkie pies about 8k put me off (who needs 8K anyway, you'd need a ridiculous computer to process and store files)

there is a simple answer to the do i or dont i buy a new drone and that is why ?
if its your first drone then of course get the best one you can for the least outlay
if you need the features the new model comes with go for it
there is nothing wrong doing research, to help you decide and asking advice from others
but if you spend too much time procrastinating,then you might never go for it

there is a simple answer to the do i or dont i buy a new drone and that is why ?
if its your first drone then of course get the best one you can for the least outlay
if you need the features the new model comes with go for it
there is nothing wrong doing research, to help you decide and asking advice from others
but if you spend too much time procrastinating,then you might never go for it

Thanks. I agree I don't intend waiting too long. There are clearly other priorities for us all at the moment so there is no rush for me to place an order

It doesn't help me either suspecting that DJI seem to have forgotten about everyone except North America with the launch of the MA2.

I am using this as an opportunity to make sure I make a decent decision and appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: old man mavic
no worries, my answer was to try and give you some help to come to your decision,and whatever you decide to do, will be right for you, good luck and happy flying

Reactions: TonyT67
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929