DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Question

TonyT67

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I am based in the Surrey, UK and I am new to drone flying. I have never had the privilege of flying one….yet. I am looking to get my very first drone and need some guidance.

I have landed on DJI and I am considering the Fly More pack on one of the following:-
  1. Mavic Mini (Fly More Combo)
  2. Mavic Pro Platinum (Fly More Combo)
  3. Mavic Air (Fly More Combo)
  4. Mavic 2 (Fly More Combo)

I am looking for features like, tracking, collision avoidance, decent fly time, decent imagery, etc. Any other key features I should be looking for especially for a first timer.

Having read the reviews, my favourite is MProPlat. I think the MMini could be too light and the M2 seems is a little over my budget.

The MPP seems feature rich and can’t see the real difference between this and the M2.

Is the MAir worth a look?

I am sure this has been answered before so will continue to search this forum but any advice you can give me would be appreciated. Always good to hear it from the experts rather than the marketing material.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Hi Everyone,

I am based in the Surrey, UK and I am new to drone flying. I have never had the privilege of flying one….yet. I am looking to get my very first drone and need some guidance.

I have landed on DJI and I am considering the Fly More pack on one of the following:-

I am looking for features like, tracking, collision avoidance, decent fly time, decent imagery, etc. Any other key features I should be looking for especially for a first timer.

Having read the reviews, my favourite is MProPlat. I think the MMini could be too light and the M2 seems is a little over my budget.

The MPP seems feature rich and can’t see the real difference between this and the M2.

I am sure this has been answered before so will continue to search this forum but any advice you can give me would be appreciated. Always good to hear it from the experts rather than the marketing material.

Thanks in advance,

Tony
first welcome to the forum as a MPP owner i can highly recommend it as a first drone it has a lot going for it ,there are down sides, it is older tech and there will come a time when support for it will be trailed off ,but in the fast moving world of electronics ,this is true for all products in this sector
you can get some very good deals for the flymore combo at the moment ,the air is another good drone but its biggest shortcoming is the lack of occusync and its flight time
if cost is not an issue then the M2P is the most recent of the Mavic family,it might be a good idea in light of upcoming new drone legislation and the epidemic that is affecting our lives at this time ,to hold off at the moment and see what happens down the line

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Given the criteria you mentioned above you need to avoid the Mini, as it has no tracking or avoidance.

I'm a big fan of the Air purely on its size. It goes into a bag and doesn't take up much room.

That said, get the best you can afford. if you get can a Mavic 2 Pro - then that's the best to go for.

I bought a MPP fly more combo last September and I love it! Yes, it’s a bit older so there may be support issues in future sooner than with the others, however I paid £830 for the whole combo and you get the benefit of occusync connection which is rock steady even over distances far further than you should be flying, both for control signals and for the HD feed. That alone makes me very glad I went for the MPP instead of the Air despite the Air being a newer drone with a slightly better camera. I have total confidence in it at all times. Of course as above if money’s no object go for the M2P for the better camera quality and the adjustable lens aperture. That’s one thing I’d absolutely love to have! But for the current price the MPP bundle has been fabulous.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Tony
I have the MPP & personally LOVE it, having the 27 minute +/_ minute flight time & the Ocusync is great. I also own 2 Sparks but have not flown them since my MPP purchase.
Coop

Since it is your first aircraft, I would recommend the MPP as well. More bang for the buck (or pound), and it is quieter than the Mavic Air and has Occusync (Air does not).

Nothing beats Occusync for range and picture quality on your remote.

It is my go-to aircraft, I use it more than any of the others I have. I own a Phantom 3 Advanced, a Spark, and a MPP (oh, and a Skydio 2). It flies great, does pretty good in a windy environment, regularly get over 1.5 mile range, is relatively quiet and dependable. It has obstacle sensors in the front and bottom. You can still crash into things any other direction. :)

Last edited:
Yep, a Canon 550D. A few years old but still love it.
I ask because you are used to excellent quality photos from a much larger sensor.The Mavic original is a 1/2.3 sensor like point n shoots.It's decent but in my experience the 1" sensor and variable aperture in the Mavic 2 Pro will produce a much better result closer to what you're used to.I shoot with an Olympus which being much newer than the 550D is likely comparable despite my smaller sensor.I am very pleased with the M2 PRO image quality and the ability to crop somewhat and still have a crisp image.Good luck in whatever you pick.

Reactions: TonyT67
Thanks all. Good advice. I will review my budget to see how I can get a M2. If not I will go for the MPP.
My rationalization often goes something like this-The one I really want is $700 more and it should last 5 years and I will be much happier with it.That's $140/year to be happy.A bargain?

Having read the reviews, my favourite is MProPlat.

Think you nailed it before you even got a reply :)
This is a great bird, tried and proven.

The Air is a great alternative, I've seen them in use, very stable and some great features.
Wifi connection for signal, but it has good VLOS range (and beyond) without issues, I would avoid urban flights though (not generally legal in the UK anyway).
If you are ok to shoot in 2.7k or 1080 (fine for Youtube / friends & family etc) then this can work out.
I have the M1P but even though it has 4k, only shoot 1080 video so far, find it fine for my needs, less hassle with storage, editing, computer power etc.

If you really want to concentrate on photography, then the M2P is my next pick, the Hassleblad and better settings adjustment make it a better landscape photo platform.
The biggest drone, so need a good backpack to carry flight needs, or hard case.

Let us know what you end up choosing, and look forward to some Surrey scenery once this covid19 thing settles a bit (soon, I hope).

Reactions: gppms and TonyT67
I bought a MPP fly more combo last September and I love it! Yes, it’s a bit older so there may be support issues in future sooner than with the others, however I paid £830 for the whole combo and you get the benefit of occusync connection which is rock steady even over distances far further than you should be flying, both for control signals and for the HD feed. That alone makes me very glad I went for the MPP instead of the Air despite the Air being a newer drone with a slightly better camera. I have total confidence in it at all times. Of course as above if money’s no object go for the M2P for the better camera quality and the adjustable lens aperture. That’s one thing I’d absolutely love to have! But for the current price the MPP bundle has been fabulous.
Yes, I've had an MPP since January (my first real drone, not counting a Tello), and it is everything Django10 says.

I fly both the M2P and M2Z and find myself going to the Pro 80% of the time. I use the zoom only when doing an inspection or construction site when I can't get close and have the zoom in capability. I love both of them but the M2P is a great drone. I think the prices are with in $50-$100 now and I want to say I paid more for the zoom

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo