DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie to Drones need help please!!! [ Video playback ]

bueller

Reactions
Morning,

Santa brought me the Mavic pro 2 for Christmas and im too excited!! my first drone. Ive been researching it/ watching hours of videos on youtube on tutorials. Here's my problem. took it up and recorded some video. my sd card is a sands extreme plus 128 gm V30 U3 A2 card. when I play it back on my mini pad/iphone when connected to controller video looks amazing.. smooth as silk.
when i attach the wire from MP2 to my iMac and play video [ using Quicktime ] it plays back choppy.... then i downloaded it to my iMac... plays the same... :mad:. is it my iMac that can't handle the 4k video? or do i need to down grade video and record in a lower resolution ... my specs on my computer : processor 2.7 GHz intel Core i5 , memory 12 GB , graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

any help is highly appreciated

Bueller

Bueller, try downloading a different video player from the App Store. I had the same issues playing videos with QuickTime and read on here that QT doesn’t play 4K videos very well.

VLC is one that comes to mind right off the bat. I am not at home, so can’t remember the name of the one I ended up downloading. Can get you that information later today.

wow!! worked with VLC. smooth!
now any recommendations on a easy editing app... more newbie friendly ... to post videos to youtube

just tried to edit video in Movie... choppy as heck...:mad:. any editing apps/programs ya know of that works with the magic pro 2 ??

I don’t :( I’m in the same boat as you. Still a newbie. I do know that editing 4K takes a lot of computer power and a good graphics card. Maybe consider shooting in 1080 for now? I’m in the process of trying to buy a new iMac just for this purpose.

Reactions: timtimd and Rich55
You may have better success all round - if you record in h264 and NOT h265.
Mac doesn't handle this too well.
- also advise to always get the mp4 onto the computer before playing back or editing

wow!! worked with VLC. smooth!
now any recommendations on a easy editing app... more newbie friendly ... to post videos to youtube

If you have a recent iPad you can't beat LumaFusion for a dead simple, fully featured professional video editor.

On the computer, DaVinci Resolve (free) or Final Cut pro if you want something specifically for the Mac. Adobe Premiere is the gold standard but the monthly fee is a bit much for the average hobbyist. Some also like Sony Vegas Pro.

Also make sure you aren't shooting in H265 if you have an older computer. From what I can tell by your information, your computer has 2011 hardware and is in need of a significant upgrade if you want to be editing 4K footage smoothly let alone H265.

I believe I am recording in h264 ...it says that when i Look at info of video...ya think if I shoot in 1080 p it will help with my computer?

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and have shot a few 4K 30 frames clips. I download them to my iPad Pro and edit them in iMovie and they come out smooth as butter and sharp as glass. IMovie won’t do anything advanced but for a basic movie with titles, transitions, and music it does the job.

Ken

Lots of ways to solve playback issues, VLC player is pretty good , Another few tips for people using footage in Prem Pro is to Render the Video to get better playback after editing it or adding an effect...... Select Render in & out option ... even with a powerful PC you will get issues editing 4k footage so this is a must.

ya think if I shoot in 1080 p it will help with my computer?

That will most definitely solve your problem and if you are only uploading your content to YooToob, 1080 is just fine as the compression scheme YT uses on 4k files is pretty egregious.

Great but will iMovie run smoother with me filming in 1080....want to use it for editing purpose ( easy to use ) thanks for all the help!!

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and have shot a few 4K 30 frames clips. I download them to my iPad Pro and edit them in iMovie and they come out smooth as butter and sharp as glass. IMovie won’t do anything advanced but for a basic movie with titles, transitions, and music it does the job.

Ken
My iMovie is choppy when I try and edit 4K video from my magic pro 2 after downloading to hard drive ( not direct from card ) ...

Morning,

Santa brought me the Mavic pro 2 for Christmas and im too excited!! my first drone. Ive been researching it/ watching hours of videos on youtube on tutorials. Here's my problem. took it up and recorded some video. my sd card is a sands extreme plus 128 gm V30 U3 A2 card. when I play it back on my mini pad/iphone when connected to controller video looks amazing.. smooth as silk.
when i attach the wire from MP2 to my iMac and play video [ using Quicktime ] it plays back choppy.... then i downloaded it to my iMac... plays the same... :mad:. is it my iMac that can't handle the 4k video? or do i need to down grade video and record in a lower resolution ... my specs on my computer : processor 2.7 GHz intel Core i5 , memory 12 GB , graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

any help is highly appreciated

Bueller
I had the same problem, it gets down to the monitor, it cant display 4k, jerky motion. What you get on controller vid is 1080p, this is why no jerky motion. I pulled the card and plugged into 4k tv, wow amazing.
Good luck.

I'm new and would like to know if I need assistance 2 to fly my mavic 2 pro or is it just something good to have? Can someone tell me what dji assistance 2 it's for? Thanks

I'm new and would like to know if I need assistance 2 to fly my mavic 2 pro or is it just something good to have? Can someone tell me what dji assistance 2 it's for? Thanks
Hi @Larrymavic2pro - welcome to the forum ... Don't be afraid to open a new Thread on this Forum, rather than come into the middle of one like this with a new question - But no- you don't need to have 'DJI Assistant 2' to fly. DJI Assistant 2 is a software application that allows you to use your computer or laptop to do software upgrades and calibration of the collision-avoid sensors on the Mavic Pro & 2 Pro series. Normally, you'll get any firmware upgrades through the DJI Go 4 app on your mobile device you are using with your RC controller.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair