DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie to everything drones

SammyJ

Reactions
G'day people,

Sam here from West Oz...... I've recently been thinking about what's next for me. I'm now at that age where I need another hobby that challenges me, something I know nothing about and piloting a drone fits that criteria PERFECTLY!!!

I purchased my Mavic Air 3 weeks ago in the black Friday sales. Since then I've probably managed two hours all up of flying and 100 hours of you tube research. It's so cool when you look into new communities of passionate people, we all have different interests in life, the collaboration that happens in these forums enables rapid learning for new folks..... So thanks to you all, I've enjoyed reading comments and watching videos.

A few suggestions I can share from my short journey so far are...
1) If you can afford it, Buy a combo kit or extra batteries at least. I procrastinated for a couple minutes and went the combo thank GOD!! You'll be extremely frustrated if you try to just manage one battery.
2) Watch a video of unboxing of whichever device you purchase before doing anything. The guides provided are ok but if you find a good youtuber it's sooo much better.
3) Watch tips and tricks for beginners videos from several different youtubers before flying. They have been there and done it and tested the different settings etc.
4) Learn the laws and rules. My other passions are heavily regulated due to potential dangers to the general public, it only takes a few people to make mistakes and affect the public before authorities are pressured into increasing regulations.

I'll leave you with my first attempt of a video from this morning, it took about an hour to film and edited. It was a practice fly that I thought I'd record, I acknowledge there's lots of room for improvement hence the practice. Also the colours and footage weren't my primary focus as I'm still waiting for ND filters to arrive next week, I'm just trying to get controller settings right for yaw etc to take steady footage.

So thanks again and I look forward to learning more from you all.

Sam

Last edited:
Dude that place looks awesome. My side-by side would love a field trip to that open area.

Reactions: SammyJ
Cheers Guys, really appreciate the kind words.

I took some aerial shots between my days and nightshift change over. I think I'll enjoy trying to get some good footage around this part of the country once I get the hang of things. Lots of beautiful locations here and back in my home town.

Hearsons Cove (4).JPGHearsons Cove (3).JPGDampier (5).JPGDampier (9).JPGBurrup Rd (4).JPGBurrup Rd (2).JPGBurrup Rd (3).JPG

Cheers

don't turn your camera up and down or right and left.
otherwise it is not bad

Hi SammyJ
I am in NSW and same ownership time as you. Steep learning curve.
I like your first effort. What editing software did you use? I am trying out Shotcut.

Hi SammyJ
I am in NSW and same ownership time as you. Steep learning curve.
I like your first effort. What editing software did you use? I am trying out Shotcut.
G'day mate, I just use a free app atm called video.guru pretty basic stuff. I'm limited to a tablet when I'm away at work. I'll look into something a bit more professional once I've learnt more.
What are you into, do you have an objective you eventually want to achieve or just enjoy flying around getting shots and video?
Cheers

I am in a similar situation, just learning.

One trick I have learned is take a steady shot when flying from longer view. then add crop. pan or zoom afterwards in editing

Makes for a smoother look in video.

I also like to continue shooting video on rth.
Occasionally get lucky and capture a great shot.

SammyJ
I'm into photography and this seemed a natural extension. We are planning a "grey nomad" trip next year so by then I should be more confident and experienced in using the Air.
Cheers

Bit more practice, but back in my home town... ND filters still not arrived so just left in auto. Have to change youtube settings to 1080... not sure if that's a mistake how I saved.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej