DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

newbie with a lot of questions

sidwin

Reactions
I have been flying for over a year. i started with a 3dr solo and honestly really enjoyed it but wanted to save up to get a mavic for the portability. i actually bought a spark before cancelling the order then i was able to score a fly more mavic combo for $950.

I have a nexus tablet that i like to use to fly my drones with. I loaded up the dji 4 software. I also use my iphone when i'm on the go.

Couple of questions when i flew with the nexus tablet today. I already updated the mavic with my iphone X ios 11.3 but when i went to fly with the nexus tablet, it said firmware had to be updated again due to conflict.

Does anyone fly with both an android and ios device?

Next question i have is when i flying outside, i had a hard time connecting to my mavic when the nexus tablet couldn't get on my local wifi. I'm guessing local wifi isn't needed. I also noticed i had to disconnect and reconnect the micro usb cable a couple of times in the beginning to get the drone video to work.

During my 2nd flight i notice i got the warning for strong winds. Does any one know at what mph does that alert come on?

One of my favorite feature for the 3dr solo was all the smart shots. Orbit, follow me, selfie, zipline, panorama was very very easy to execute. I don't see how to do that on the mavic.

Overall the mavic is very impressive. Definitely much more of a drone than the 3dr. I know the learning curve is going to be steep but i'm glad to get into the dji ecosystem. I also bought a gimbal osmo mobile.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I got prop guards, risers, NV filter already on.

Thanks,
Sid

I have been flying for over a year. i started with a 3dr solo and honestly really enjoyed it but wanted to save up to get a mavic for the portability. i actually bought a spark before cancelling the order then i was able to score a fly more mavic combo for $950.

I have a nexus tablet that i like to use to fly my drones with. I loaded up the dji 4 software. I also use my iphone when i'm on the go.

Couple of questions when i flew with the nexus tablet today. I already updated the mavic with my iphone X ios 11.3 but when i went to fly with the nexus tablet, it said firmware had to be updated again due to conflict.

Next question i have is when i flying outside, i had a hard time connecting to my mavic when the nexus tablet couldn't get on my local wifi. I'm guessing local wifi isn't needed. I also noticed i had to disconnect and reconnect the micro usb cable a couple of times in the beginning to get the drone video to work.

During my 2nd flight i notice i got the warning for strong winds. Does any one know at what mph does that alert come on?

One of my favorite feature for the 3dr solo was all the smart shots. Orbit, follow me, selfie, zipline, panorama was very very easy to execute. I don't see how to do that on the mavic.

Overall the mavic is very impressive. Definitely much more of a drone than the 3dr. I know the learning curve is going to be steep but i'm glad to get into the dji ecosystem. I also bought a gimbal osmo mobile.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I got prop guards, risers, NV filter already on.

Thanks,
Sid
I'm fairly new myself, make sure you read the manual, lots of utube channels from dji and others,and good advice here. Read as much as you can

it said firmware had to be updated again due to conflict.
It just needs to update the other batteries you have, it only updated the battery that was used while updating. So just follow the update advise if it pops up. You only have to do it once for every battery, takes just a few minutes.

yes, I always use both since not all apps are available for both platforms. Besides, if my phone crashes I still have my Ipad mini2 as a backup or vise versa. Besides, I don't want to be locked into one platform. Sometimes one platform has a serious bug after a Go update while the other doesn't.

To be able to use the special flight modes you have to turn off beginner mode first. Read the latest manual and indeed search Youtube. There are hundreds of videos out there explaining how to use the Mavic.

I suspect at 8-10m/sec. But it's undoable to know the true windspeed at say 400 feet, before actually flying at that altitude. So who knows. The wind up high can be totally different in force and direction. Usually descending a bit gets rid of the warning. Don't ignore it, as a beginner.

i have to admit i'm amazed at the range the mavic can accomplish vs the solo.

i do use uavforecast but it wasn't that windy. when i saw the warning i lowered the bird and kept her at 100ft.

thanks for the info about the batteries. i was worried that i was going to cause a hardware firmware problem.

i saw spark flyers can hand catch and flip their bird over to turn off. that's pretty cool. i seen videos on youtube guys catch then pull both sticks down and in to get the bird to turn off. Has anyone done much of a boat launch with their mavic?

i got the prop guard on yesterday. didn't seem to affect flight times.

THanks, for all the info and yes i read the manual and watched a good bit of youtube. my brother in law has one and he's been helping as well.

Thanks,
Sid

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll