DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie with new purchase of mavic pro from sams club...questions about phone to controller

wvlonglegs

Reactions
Hi everyone, I just bought the dji mavic pro at my near by sams club. I was buying it as a gift for my son for Christmas. He has been wanting one ever since he seen they had them. Any how I purchased it today for him and the sales person opened the box at the store due to not much info on the out side of the box...plus I think he really wanted to look it over. Any how I did do some reading and watched all kind of vidieos before purchasing it.....but I did notice one thing on the back of the box....it said it was made to use with a iPhone....(it did come with controller to hook phone too) .what I think I read and watched on utube said the phone had to be and android phone and able to install the dji app. So my question is, can he use this with his android phone if not an apple product? I questioned them at the store but they weren't sure but assured me they would refund me all the money if it didn't. I did read somewhere that certain phones do a better job but totally confused now after reading label on back of the box. I also did not purchase the 3 year extended warranty they offered through square trade....didn't understand what it would actually cover but read that I can purchase insurance from state farm which I think is a way much better deal. Please if you have any experience with this drone and can answer my question I would appreciate it!

Hi everyone, I just bought the dji mavic pro at my near by sams club. I was buying it as a gift for my son for Christmas. He has been wanting one ever since he seen they had them. Any how I purchased it today for him and the sales person opened the box at the store due to not much info on the out side of the box...plus I think he really wanted to look it over. Any how I did do some reading and watched all kind of vidieos before purchasing it.....but I did notice one thing on the back of the box....it said it was made to use with a iPhone....(it did come with controller to hook phone too) .what I think I read and watched on utube said the phone had to be and android phone and able to install the dji app. So my question is, can he use this with his android phone if not an apple product? I questioned them at the store but they weren't sure but assured me they would refund me all the money if it didn't. I did read somewhere that certain phones do a better job but totally confused now after reading label on back of the box. I also did not purchase the 3 year extended warranty they offered through square trade....didn't understand what it would actually cover but read that I can purchase insurance from state farm which I think is a way much better deal. Please if you have any experience with this drone and can answer my question I would appreciate it!
You can use it with andriod phones. Some apple devices, notably the iPad 2&4 work better, but you should not have an issue with most newer andriod phones. Also make sure you download the manual Mavic Pro– Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads and here is a video manual DJI Go 4 Manual: The Pilot’s Handbook

Last edited:
Reactions: f3honda4me
Thank You Bunny Too. I will do the downloads you recommended. I will download and print them out for my son, which is by the way no child...in his 40s'....but works all the time! I'm not computer savvy and lord help me when I try to do stuff on my cell phone. Thank goodness he understands more than I. I'd love to be smart enough to try and fly one of these things but maybe he will teach me...LOL!

Reactions: Bunny Too
Thank You Bunny Too. I will do the downloads you recommended. I will download and print them out for my son, which is by the way no child...in his 40s'....but works all the time! I'm not computer savvy and lord help me when I try to do stuff on my cell phone. Thank goodness he understands more than I. I'd love to be smart enough to try and fly one of these things but maybe he will teach me...LOL!
Mavic Help has a great list of what works and what doesn't... though it's a pretty fluid thing because each OS upgrade potentially can break compatibility.

Best Tablets/Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

Generally, DJI tries the hardest to have compatibility with Apple and Samsung products...but even then it can be spotty.

Reactions: phoenix3
thanks pixl, I will save all this info for my son to see and read! Thanks for all the help!

Do not be disheartened if your phone/tablet is not on the official list. My Samsung Tab A (Android) tablet is not but does work with the Mavic.

You also can fly without one, but flying is all you will do. All the cool features and video/still capture are controlled by the app on the display device.

ok, today after watching more utube videos I am getting more confussed...I watched the ones that the nvidia shield K1 gaming tablet was used with the mavic controller....my question is, if you use a tablet do you have to tether it to wifi from a phone? I watched them use them out in a field with no wifi ...at least that I could see or is it just controlling the drone from the app? I did read that tablet had to have gps.....please explain to me how this works. Also...how did they connect the tablet to the controller....I didn't see a cable in the videos.

ok, today after watching more utube videos I am getting more confussed...I watched the ones that the nvidia shield K1 gaming tablet was used with the mavic controller....my question is, if you use a tablet do you have to tether it to wifi from a phone? I watched them use them out in a field with no wifi ...at least that I could see or is it just controlling the drone from the app? I did read that tablet had to have gps.....please explain to me how this works. Also...how did they connect the tablet to the controller....I didn't see a cable in the videos.
WiFi is only needed to connect your smartphone or tablet (no RC) to the Mavic using the Go 4 app, but I don't recommend it. The RC gets you much greater range and control.
You connect either a tablet or phone to the remote control via cable.
The phone uses either the cable hidden inside the remote handle or USB cable.
The tablet does not have to have GPS.
You might not see the connecting cable if the phone/tablet was being held by the RC handles with the cable hidden inside the handle.

You can use it with andriod phones. Some apple devices, notably the iPad 2&4 work better, but you should not have an issue with most newer andriod phones. Also make sure you download the manual Mavic Pro– Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads and here is a video manual DJI Go 4 Manual: The Pilot’s Handbook

I don’t want to hijack this thread but I saw you said the iPad 2 works with the MP. I have a 2 and when I tried to load DJI Go it said it wasn’t compatible with this device. Have you been able to get the 2 to work? Thanks!

Thank you Mossiback. That makes sense now. I didn't see a cable and that was throwing me off.

ok, son got in little earlier tonight so he gave me a call and said to come down to his place we were going to give the mavic a try. So as we sat in at the kitchen table checking everything and connecting the controller and the phone with the mavic everything seemed fine. Everything paired up or synced...what ever you call it but said not getting enough gps signal so we decided to shut it off and take everything outside in front yard. Powered it back up and said it needed a update so he told it to go ahead and it sat there doing its thing and we think it finished but then wouldn't pair up or sync the controller with the mavic. So turned everything back off and took back into the house. So now my question is do I need to hook the mavic to my computer and run dji assistant 2 on it? I did get assistant 2 to download on my computer but couldn't get it on our phone. Is it something to do with the update? Had it about a week now and this is our 1st attempt to try it. Was very disappointed! Any help here would be appreciated. What should be our next step?

ok, son got in little earlier tonight so he gave me a call and said to come down to his place we were going to give the mavic a try. So as we sat in at the kitchen table checking everything and connecting the controller and the phone with the mavic everything seemed fine. Everything paired up or synced...what ever you call it but said not getting enough gps signal so we decided to shut it off and take everything outside in front yard. Powered it back up and said it needed a update so he told it to go ahead and it sat there doing its thing and we think it finished but then wouldn't pair up or sync the controller with the mavic. So turned everything back off and took back into the house. So now my question is do I need to hook the mavic to my computer and run dji assistant 2 on it? I did get assistant 2 to download on my computer but couldn't get it on our phone. Is it something to do with the update? Had it about a week now and this is our 1st attempt to try it. Was very disappointed! Any help here would be appreciated. What should be our next step?
I'd suggest just trying to power everything up as normal again, and see if it works then.

tried shutting it off and powering everything back up but didn't work. Going to charge everything back up today and give another try. Keeping fingers crossed!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143