DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newer ND/CP filtered...don't understand what they are instructing

56_kruiser

Reactions
I purchased some Newer filters which has the following in the description:

Description
NOTE: 1. These filters can be mounted ONLY WHEN the original stock filter is still in place. Please let the filter cover the gold thread on the lens when installing, or your drone will report a camera gimbal error resulting in it can not work properly.2. DJI Mavic Drone is not included

I have no idea what they are talking about. I got no filter with my Mavic of any kind. I thought maybe they were actually speaking about the lens. But, I do get that error with them on.

Any thoughts? (My thoughts are to return them, but curious if anyone even knows what they are talking about.)

It looks like someone forgot to proofread that product copy.

The filters just push onto the camera.

It looks like someone forgot to proofread that product copy.

The filters just push onto the camera.

Yes they do, but, I get gimble calibration errors when I calibrate with them on, as well as when I turn the Mavic on. They appear to hit the side of the gimple shaft or drum....whatever it would be called. The gimble appears tho get stuck on that shaft.. So it seems to me they expect them to mount on some other filter or lens cover that may mount them out further.

By the way here is a link to them-> Link

Are you sure it's fully pushed onto the camera?

Yes I'm pretty sure. I tried it a couple times, and it seems too coincidental that that error would be referenced in their description.

I may try again, but it would be good to hear from someone on here that has the same filters.

I have the Neewer filters and have zero problems with the gimbal test...you just have to make sure they are pushed on all the way, all the way around. They work great for the money.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I have the Neewer filters and have zero problems with the gimbal test...you just have to make sure they are pushed on all the way, all the way around. They work great for the money.

Ok. I will give it another try.

So one other question: If you have to push them on so hard, I worry it might cause a problem with the gimble...even with the back support pieces on, no? And, any issues getting them back off?

I did read that other thread. They talk about trimming the material on the inside of the filter that facilitates the hold. But then I fear trimming too much.

So one other question: If you have to push them on so hard, I worry it might cause a problem with the gimble...even with the back support pieces on, no? And, any issues getting them back off?

I did read that other thread. They talk about trimming the material on the inside of the filter that facilitates the hold. But then I fear trimming too much.
id put them on while the gimble lock is attached

I always leave the gimbal lock on when putting the filters on. I didn’t have to trim a thing on mine, and they are easy on easy off. Maybe I got lucky, but I have had zero problems what so ever. I find if I put them on straight they are easy, it’s when they are crooked that they don’t go on easily.

Reactions: Doug D
HI folks...

So I was successful getting them on and calibrated. First time after good hard push on, it failed, but ran it again and it worked. Doing another one just to check now. But looks like it's going OK.

Gimble lock, yes, that was what I was referring to earlier, but didn't remember what it was called.

I find that I in fact have to hold that gimble lock in place pretty firmly to apply the pressure needed. Otherwise the gimble lock would itself push back. As you see from the attached picture, that lock is not solidly supported at the back.

Now if I can just be sure I don't push the lens of the filters through o_O

Next steps is to learn when to use which filter.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_20171217_224032.jpg
    IMG_20171217_224032.jpg
    659.2 KB · Views: 21
Polar Pro has an app called Filter Calculator. Haven't played around with it much but you put in a few parameters and press go.
That Polar pro App on IOS rocks! Not only for filter selection... It gives ya time to daylight/golden hour/sunrise all that plus your local weather with wind speed/temp + KP Index (Which Any UAV operator should know before flying!)

That Polar pro App on IOS rocks! Not only for filter selection... It gives ya time to daylight/golden hour/sunrise all that plus your local weather with wind speed/temp + KP Index (Which Any UAV operator should know before flying!)

Yea I guess it's not out for Android yet in it's full glory. The filter app is though and it works really well.

I purchased some Newer filters which has the following in the description:

Description
NOTE: 1. These filters can be mounted ONLY WHEN the original stock filter is still in place. Please let the filter cover the gold thread on the lens when installing, or your drone will report a camera gimbal error resulting in it can not work properly.2. DJI Mavic Drone is not included

I have no idea what they are talking about. I got no filter with my Mavic of any kind. I thought maybe they were actually speaking about the lens. But, I do get that error with them on.

Any thoughts? (My thoughts are to return them, but curious if anyone even knows what they are talking about.)

I have these filters and didn't like them so I bought the DJI ones. They're okay but flimsy so I bought the new DJI filters that look like everyone else's. Oh well.

Remember that your ND/CP filters also work as polarizing filters to cut reflections and enhance the colors. However, the orientation of the filter is quite important for the best results.

To see the polarizing effect, hold the filter up to your eye and rotate it in your fingers. You should see its effect especially when you are facing 90º from the sun. Then, stand facing the direction in which you will be filming. Rotate the filter until you see the desired level of polarization and then note the part of the filter holder's rim edge that is pointed toward the ground. Assuming that you are attaching the filter with the Mavic on its back, orient the filter so that the point on the rim edge that you noted is facing up. That will mean that, with the Mavic flying, the point on the rim edge should again be facing toward the ground and duplicate the effect produced when you held it up to your eye.

i bought those too. i had to take the foam ring off the inside and carefully cut the foam into pieces. i used four to kinda quarter it and hand balance all friggin five of mine now they work fine but man that sucked.....

Thanks so much for that tutorial.

On the Polarpro app...anyone have tips on it? (It is correct that the Android version only does the filter processes ATM.

I have stepped through the entry and calculate process. But not with dissect sunlight yet, so no results. I presume the phone need to be out in the sunlight. Does the control software need to be running and the drone running?

Not sure about using the app. Whether in sun or indoors, I'm not finding it to calculate anything.

If I leave installed filter as none, then no matter what I put in the other fields it says none when I hit calculate.

When I choose a filter, say ND8, then the answer at the bottom says ND8 no matter what I put in the other fields, whether in the sun or not.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom