DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Newest Fall video just off the presses

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I'd put up something in the critique area a week or so ago, and upon recognizing that it was complete crap I decided to redo the project, at least with some new footage. I ended up picking a great day and I think hit the time of light on the nose and ended up with a total reshoot. I'll save the details later for those interested. Edited in Davinci Resolve 16.

Edit:!!! I should have mentioned that this was my first real test of the Polarpro gradient filters. I used the ND32/8 for most of the video, starting at the beginning.

Last edited:
Nice work. ??

I remember watching your original vid too, which you filmed in 20 mins! Rather impressive in it’s own right.,,,,

This vid was good. I like that you introduced a few B-Roll shots, such as a wider location shot and an approach shot. Although I think you had kinder/better lighting the first video and autumn colours “popped” a little better. I don’t think that was anything to do your filming or editing though, mostly just the time of day when you filmed.

I'd put up something in the critique area a week or so ago, and upon recognizing that it was complete crap I decided to redo the project, at least with some new footage. I ended up picking a great day and I think hit the time of light on the nose and ended up with a total reshoot. I'll save the details later for those interested. Edited in Davinci Resolve 16.

Absolutely beautiful. Excellent job!! Was just in Evanston last week...sure looks different from your perspective. Of course that's the beauty of video from a drone!
Will be going back to Northwestern soon. Thanks for posting.

This was an excellent film! Every clip was just the right amount of time. Good variation of subjects. Excellent ability to perform POI shot on the lighthouse. Could have approached Bahai Temple dome a bit closer. I did a lot of bike riding up Sheridan Road in my childhood there. Loved the long view of downtown Chi Town. (Chicago- or the DRC- which is not the Democratic Republic of the Congo but the Democratic Republic of Chicago , my birthplace and home town). Nice music track. I'd give this one an A+. Nice work. Editing was flawless, including the end title.

Last edited:
Reactions: sikspy

very nice film enjoyable to watch and listen to however I did notice stuttering as the drone approached up on trees And such I wondering if that is the low frames per second ?Curious as to what FPs you shot at

Nice colors!

Your flying is nice and smooth.

Don't reverse shots. The waves give it away ;)

Nice work. ??

I remember watching your original vid too, which you filmed in 20 mins! Rather impressive in it’s own right.,,,,

This vid was good. I like that you introduced a few B-Roll shots, such as a wider location shot and an approach shot. Although I think you had kinder/better lighting the first video and autumn colours “popped” a little better. I don’t think that was anything to do your filming or editing though, mostly just the time of day when you filmed.

The first go-round was filmed differently. 90+% of that one was pre-programmed in Litchi. While it allows quick execution it doesn't allow for capturing nuances or seeing things in flight and adjusting creatively if needed. This last one was 100% manual flight. I got very lucky and had a launch point where I had full VLOS of my M2, though the strobes were barely visible at the full distance out. Frankly I like the lighting and contrast of the cloud formations better. I wasn't as aggressive in boosting saturation on this second video. I thought the points of interest in my first video were limited and many of the clips were far too redundant. Since I was familiar with the site I was able to think through more elements to create a broader story.

Edit: I almost forgot... What really helped me pick the time I wanted to fly was an app, suggested by another member, called "Sun Surveyor Lite". I'm not sure how to fully utilize it yet, but I understand light direction and quality and knew I had to be there earlier than I would have guessed on my own.

very nice film enjoyable to watch and listen to however I did notice stuttering as the drone approached up on trees And such I wondering if that is the low frames per second ?Curious as to what FPs you shot at

23.976 fps. Interesting... I've not seen any stuttering- except when previewing it with a friend on his Macbook. I've watched it many times and not seen any stuttering on my end. I have sped up a few clips but don't recall having slowed down any because I know this can cause stuttering. Can you cite a specific time in the video so I can look at it.

This was an excellent film! Every clip was just the right amount of time. Good variation of subjects. Excellent ability to perform POI shot on the lighthouse. Could have approached Bahai Temple dome a bit closer. I did a lot of bike riding up Sheridan Road in my childhood there. Loved the long view of downtown Chi Town. (Chicago- or the DRC- which is not the Democratic Republic of the Congo but the Democratic Republic of Chicago , my birthplace and home town). Nice music track. I'd give this one an A+. Nice work. Editing was flawless, including the end title.

Thanks for the comments Dale. Actually I did fly closer to Bahai, but didn't want to make it about Bahai. I felt that doing that would have created a "competing center of interest", which I may have unintentionally done anyway by including it. I just wanted to illustrate the surroundings, showing that Bahai was "in the neighborhood". I learned a lot on this project, both flying editing, but mostly editing, specifically reducing the amount of time needed exponentially.

Nice colors!

Thanks for your comments. I've been a still photographer for decades and I'm just learning how to shoot video so my pre-planning of shot sequences isn't fully developed yet. I've got one or two clips in there that I had to reverse just to make the sequencing more contiguous with more flow. After getting this project finished and kicked back for a few seconds I had to think how long I've actually been doing this. I realized that hadn't flown a drone until June 26 with first sortie on June 30 and first attempt to edit , opening Davinci Resolve for the first time was on July 1. This was my third project. Every project I learn more and more.

Reactions: Tentoes
The first go-round was filmed differently. 90+% of that one was pre-programmed in Litchi. While it allows quick execution it doesn't allow for capturing nuances or seeing things in flight and adjusting creatively if needed. This last one was 100% manual flight. I got very lucky and had a launch point where I had full VLOS of my M2, though the strobes were barely visible at the full distance out. Frankly I like the lighting and contrast of the cloud formations better. I wasn't as aggressive in boosting saturation on this second video. I thought the points of interest in my first video were limited and many of the clips were far too redundant. Since I was familiar with the site I was able to think through more elements to create a broader story.

Edit: I almost forgot... What really helped me pick the time I wanted to fly was an app, suggested by another member, called "Sun Surveyor Lite". I'm not sure how to fully utilize it yet, but I understand light direction and quality and knew I had to be there earlier than I would have guessed on my own.

23.976 fps. Interesting... I've not seen any stuttering- except when previewing it with a friend on his Macbook. I've watched it many times and not seen any stuttering on my end. I have sped up a few clips but don't recall having slowed down any because I know this can cause stuttering. Can you cite a specific time in the video so I can look at it.

Thanks for the comments Dale. Actually I did fly closer to Bahai, but didn't want to make it about Bahai. I felt that doing that would have created a "competing center of interest", which I may have unintentionally done anyway by including it. I just wanted to illustrate the surroundings, showing that Bahai was "in the neighborhood". I learned a lot on this project, both flying editing, but mostly editing, specifically reducing the amount of time needed exponentially.

I have been having some modest success with the Waypoints 2.0, but most of my flying is still manual. I am still a real klutz unless I just go forward and backward. It's like the Carnegie Hall joke. (e.g.: How do I get into Carnegie Hall?? "Practice, man, practice."). As far as editing, each and every time I edit, I wind up spending hours on Adobe Premiere Pro You Tube videos and learn something new. My latest fetish is speed ramping and time remapping.

I have been having some modest success with the Waypoints 2.0, but most of my flying is still manual. I am still a real klutz unless I just go forward and backward. It's like the Carnegie Hall joke. (e.g.: How do I get into Carnegie Hall?? "Practice, man, practice."). As far as editing, each and every time I edit, I wind up spending hours on Adobe Premiere Pro You Tube videos and learn something new. My latest fetish is speed ramping and time remapping.

Yeah... there is no replacement for practice. Being so new to this almost everything is eye opening. I finally figured out how to finally use the CUT PAGE in Resolve and that changed my world. I was able to breeze through the clips with 1/10th the time it was taking before. Color grading has become easier, though I haven't come close to mastering it yet. I've learned to do basic masking techinque but so much more to be learned here... and I haven't tried a thing in Fusion yet. But for those who balk at trying Davinci Resolve because it looks too hard or too complicated, I would simply encourage them to go shoot something and dive in.

But having cited that old joke Dale, I have a real life anecdote to share... I had just parked my in the Grant Park garage on the way to a concert with some buddies, when someone walked up to me and asked "How do you get to Symphony Hall"... and you know the rest. For real.

Nice colors!

Thats true Tentoes, the waves, the walking the dogs and cars always distract me from what is an excellent video.

Nice colors!

Ok... I've un-reversed the objectional segments. Does it change your overall feel and thoughts about the video even though the transitions don't go in the same direction????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darksebius