DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newish SAR pilot near Yosemite

MtnScout

Reactions
Hello Fellow Mavic Drivers,

I've been a lurking member for awhile but thought I should formally introduce myself.

As the thread indicates, I am a 107 SAR pilot for our local Sheriff's SAR team. I also hold a Private pilot license (Part 91). In addition, I am the Support Division FTO (Field Training Officer) for our team which basically means it's my job to make sure our team doesn't kill, hurt or mame themselves or one another with anything that has a motor attached to it. This includes, ATV's, OSV (over the snow vehicles), trucks, aircraft (both rotary and fixed wing) and of course UAV's. Our Department has a fleet of 4 Phantom P4P UAV's and I own a personal MP. We operate under an FAA COA. On our team we currently have 3 SAR pilots while the SO has about a dozen.

We do all flavors of SAR including Ground Search in all types of terrain in the Sierra Nevada Mountains right up to and including the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail). The terrain can be challenging, to say the least and at least half of our missions are in the nearby federally designated Wilderness Areas. Other flavors of SAR include Nordic, Swiftwater, Technical Rope Rescue and Mounted (horseback). Our Team is comprised of 30 or so dedicated SAR volunteers and 6 sworn Deputies. We also respond in the region to mutual aid callouts from other nearby counties.

In the past couple of years, since the inception of our UAV team, we have flown a couple dozen missions and at least as many trainings. We have found the UAV to be a very good tool for SAR and most teams are almost expected to fly UAV's for missions although we still fly more helicopters than UAV's at this point for evac reasons.

I'd like to thank you all for the knowledge I have gleaned from the group, I may not have a lot to add but I am always reading and learning from the MavicPilots Community.

MtnScout

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Reactions: MtnScout
Great to have you as a non-lurking member of the group! What is the drone of choice for you guys? Do you use IR so you can see heat sources among trees and rocks?
Funny you should ask. We currently use the 4 Phantom P4P's we have in the stable. We are putting together a request and plan to roll out a Matrice 200 or 210 in the next couple of months. Right now we are using Helicopters with FLIR for thermal. Appx 5 hours of that would buy a pretty nice IR Capable UAV...

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
:)

Funny you should ask. We currently use the 4 Phantom P4P's we have in the stable. We are putting together a request and plan to roll out a Matrice 200 or 210 in the next couple of months. Right now we are using Helicopters with FLIR for thermal. Appx 5 hours of that would buy a pretty nice IR Capable UAV...
The rest Adina I ask is that DJI JUST ANNONCED A NEW IR CAPABLE INSPIRE
The reason I ask is because DJI just announced a new IR capable drone. The ad material makes it look pretty cool. No idea how much it costs, but maybe you can get the people in charge of the purse strings to cough up some dinero for one.

Hello Fellow Mavic Drivers,

I've been a lurking member for awhile but thought I should formally introduce myself.

As the thread indicates, I am a 107 SAR pilot for our local Sheriff's SAR team. I also hold a Private pilot license (Part 91). In addition, I am the Support Division FTO (Field Training Officer) for our team which basically means it's my job to make sure our team doesn't kill, hurt or mame themselves or one another with anything that has a motor attached to it. This includes, ATV's, OSV (over the snow vehicles), trucks, aircraft (both rotary and fixed wing) and of course UAV's. Our Department has a fleet of 4 Phantom P4P UAV's and I own a personal MP. We operate under an FAA COA. On our team we currently have 3 SAR pilots while the SO has about a dozen.

We do all flavors of SAR including Ground Search in all types of terrain in the Sierra Nevada Mountains right up to and including the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail). The terrain can be challenging, to say the least and at least half of our missions are in the nearby federally designated Wilderness Areas. Other flavors of SAR include Nordic, Swiftwater, Technical Rope Rescue and Mounted (horseback). Our Team is comprised of 30 or so dedicated SAR volunteers and 6 sworn Deputies. We also respond in the region to mutual aid callouts from other nearby counties.

In the past couple of years, since the inception of our UAV team, we have flown a couple dozen missions and at least as many trainings. We have found the UAV to be a very good tool for SAR and most teams are almost expected to fly UAV's for missions although we still fly more helicopters than UAV's at this point for evac reasons.

I'd like to thank you all for the knowledge I have gleaned from the group, I may not have a lot to add but I am always reading and learning from the MavicPilots Community.

MtnScout
Howdy from Wyoming @MtnScout , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22