DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

News Station drone flight legality?

Delenot

Reactions

This is a link to a KDKA Pittsburgh news station report from today 5-29-21, location: Ross Park Mall, pgh PA. I am presently under the understanding that flying over police activity is not allowed, 107 or otherwise. What is the correct rule to follow for this?

Depending on the camera angle, the drone could be a couple of blocks away with a zoom and give it the perception of being close to the activity. ?

That could be a possibility. Be that the case, is there a minimum distance that must be maintained in that situation?

Like their news helicopters, maybe they have a special agreement with the local police and FAA for news coverage. That would be an interesting agreement to read.

Reactions: dawgpilot
That could be a possibility. Be that the case, is there a minimum distance that must be maintained in that situation?
It's a possibility they are at an angle and they just zoomed into the action from 2 or 3 hundred feet horizontally, but is 200, 300, or 400 ft enough distance? What happens if a police chopper shows up. The risk is pretty high and could hinder the helicopters maneuvers. I 've followed 1st responders and zoomed in from 500ft, but wouldn't get any closer. I'm always worried about the police chopper showing up. When they do, there is no warning. They come in fast and low. SO, WHAT IS A SAFE DISTANCE? I don't think the FAA has specified any "safe" distance, but flying like this could be considered reckless. If an accident occurs, the FAA will get involved. They will also get involved if the police on the ground or in the helicopter make a formal complaint. Perhaps, if the Television station has a way to make sure, no police helicopter support is going to be used, then they can safely, but far enough away, fly around the 1st responder activity.

Reactions: BigAl07
News organizations routinely get permission to fly in the vicinity of LE and emergency operations. Provided that they are coordinating the flights are perfectly legal. And since they are obviously broadcasting the resulting video, I'm quite sure that LE would let them know if there were a problem.

News organizations routinely get permission to fly in the vicinity of LE and emergency operations. Provided that they are coordinating the flights are perfectly legal. And since they are obviously broadcasting the resulting video, I'm quite sure that LE would let them know if there were a problem.
Wow Sar104. You never cease to amaze me. You know so many things about flying drones and your knowledge range is extensive and broad. How long have you been active in this world of drone / RC flying?

There is no hard fast rule about how close to fly. It’s based on interference.

First Amendment allows us access to the skies over and near police activity. Just don’t interfere.

Reactions: GFields
Wow Sar104. You never cease to amaze me. You know so many things about flying drones and your knowledge range is extensive and broad. How long have you been active in this world of drone / RC flying?
Do I detect a tiny hint of sarcasm?

Do I detect a tiny hint of sarcasm?
No. I don't do that. Seriously. I'm impressed with your range of knowledge. You seem to know so much. You must have been working and playing in this industry for quite a while. Promise , no sarcasm.

No. I don't do that. Seriously. I'm impressed with your range of knowledge. You seem to know so much. You must have been working and playing in this industry for quite a while. Promise , no sarcasm.
I've never actually flown a drone, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night¡

Thanks for sharing

It's a possibility they are at an angle and they just zoomed into the action from 2 or 3 hundred feet horizontally, but is 200, 300, or 400 ft enough distance? What happens if a police chopper shows up. The risk is pretty high and could hinder the helicopters maneuvers. I 've followed 1st responders and zoomed in from 500ft, but wouldn't get any closer. I'm always worried about the police chopper showing up. When they do, there is no warning. They come in fast and low. SO, WHAT IS A SAFE DISTANCE? I don't think the FAA has specified any "safe" distance, but flying like this could be considered reckless. If an accident occurs, the FAA will get involved. They will also get involved if the police on the ground or in the helicopter make a formal complaint. Perhaps, if the Television station has a way to make sure, no police helicopter support is going to be used, then they can safely, but far enough away, fly around the 1st responder activity.
No warning, it shows up on my air 2 and even the location on the map where they are at in relation to where I am.

No warning, it shows up on my air 2 and even the location on the map where they are at in relation to where I am.
The police helicopter where I live, don't show up on my ADSB. I have to assume they are allowed not to transmit in certain scenarios.

The police helicopter where I live, don't show up on my ADSB. I have to assume they are allowed not to transmit in certain scenarios.
The FAA requires ADS-B Out capability in the continental United States, in the ADS-B rule airspace designated by FAR 91.225: Class A, B, and C airspace; Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl; Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);

The FAA requires ADS-B Out capability in the continental United States, in the ADS-B rule airspace designated by FAR 91.225: Class A, B, and C airspace; Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl; Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);

I'm a freelance media photographer and I use the zoom specially at 96 Zoom definitely it looks closer than the drone really is

Can you explain to the members more what that means in terms of UAS operations?

There are lots of areas, situations, circumstances where ADS-B is NOT required. Solely relying on DJI's AdSense is asking for a mistake/incident to happen.

Just for kicks & grins below is a graphic that might help explain why you should not blindly rely on AdSense (ADS-B IN) technology.
airspaceRequirements.jpg

I live less than three miles from a National Guard reservation, and they regularly fly between 800-1500 feet over their normal flight path less than 2000 feet due south of me.

The military helicopters do *not* use ADS-B, and do not show up on AirSense or FlightRadar24. I just drop like a rock any time I hear them coming, since they're never flying very fast along that route.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas