DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Next after Mavic mini..

JohnFK

Reactions
Loving the mini and am a newbie. Learning is fun and I’m already thinking about an upgrade.. so the question is without breaking the bank what would you get next? The Mavic pro 2 is too pricy at $1800 so I would like your thoughts.. thx!

if the M2pro is out of your price range,your next best bet if you want to stay with DJI is the Mavic Pro Platinum flymore combo they are a very good drone with sorted firmware and plenty of accessories

The Mavic 2 Pro is good kit, and you may find a good second-hand deal either through this Forum or on eBay (do be careful there though!). It really depends on what you want to get out of the next drone ... Is it the flying experience? Is it the still photo's? Is it video? Do you want to go on to commercial operations? There are a lot of questions and you could spend a fortune stepping from one drone to another. Use the experience you have with the Mini to give you some ideas as to where you want to go with the hobby.

My second drone was a Mavic Pro Platinum purchased on eBay. It's a great machine and I've no regrets that I didn't go for the Mavic 2 Pro that was being released around the same time.

Right now the mini is perfect as I’m mainly using it for travel and family vacations and such.. the biggest two areas I would like to improve are camera and overall stability in windier conditions as you’re limited with the mini when it comes to wind.

If reporting is accurate on the release of the M3P this year . . . the cost of the M2P will be decreasing. If you can wait it out, it may be worth it. The MA is still a great bird. Enough weight and power that we don't see the blow away issues (like with the MM).

Let us know what you decide . . .

I own a Mavic Air and love the combination with my Mavic Mini in my flight bag. Consider your needs and budget, shop around and keep asking questions in the forums. The decision and deal will come to you.

Loving the mini and am a newbie. Learning is fun and I’m already thinking about an upgrade.. so the question is without breaking the bank what would you get next? The Mavic pro 2 is too pricy at $1800 so I would like your thoughts.. thx!
I would say the Mavic Air is a good option... But maybe this is next in line for an upgrade, so I'd fly the Mini for a while and wait to see what the next few months bring...

Even though I understand the MM is not very stable to strong winds, after one month Flying it, I still love it, my wife says the Mini is our small Giant.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I am also new to drones. It started when one of my sons brought a Spark over and flew it around our property, he put the pictures and video on my computer and I was amazed at how clear they were. I started doing some research looking for a beginner drone when the MM was released for review by YouTube sites. As it turned out I ended up getting the only one available in my area from Best Buy on the day it was released for retail sales. I GOT HOOKED, which I'm sure was DJI's marketing plan. I was in the same boat you are in, looking for an upgrade. I am retired and over the years I have found that looking at the price on an item I want is at the lower end of how I choose because I've always ended up spending more down the road by upgrading a little at a time. I ended up getting a M 2 Pro combo and so far I'm glad I did. I'm a cautious flyer and have found that the info of the veterans here is well worth the time I've spent on this site. Whatever you end up getting I hope you have as much fun as I have. Good luck.

Jerry.

I am also new to drones. It started when one of my sons brought a Spark over and flew it around our property, he put the pictures and video on my computer and I was amazed at how clear they were. I started doing some research looking for a beginner drone when the MM was released for review by YouTube sites. As it turned out I ended up getting the only one available in my area from Best Buy on the day it was released for retail sales. I GOT HOOKED, which I'm sure was DJI's marketing plan. I was in the same boat you are in, looking for an upgrade. I am retired and over the years I have found that looking at the price on an item I want is at the lower end of how I choose because I've always ended up spending more down the road by upgrading a little at a time. I ended up getting a M 2 Pro combo and so far I'm glad I did. I'm a cautious flyer and have found that the info of the veterans here is well worth the time I've spent on this site. Whatever you end up getting I hope you have as much fun as I have. Good luck.

Jerry.
Awesome drone.. I’m going to be patient and wait it out. Maybe the Mavic pro 2 will drop in price once the 3 is announced!

Reactions: Smalls

If i were you and if price matters, get the flagship.
You can pick up the Phantom 4 Pro with the Pro Plus Controller for under a grand .

This way you get the best of the best , best slow motion , best hand catcher , and some premium controller.
and with the money you get extra pick up a wet suit for it. ;)

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Drone in the Rain
Coal

Reactions: gppms

I'm in the same boat and thinking about Autel Evo.

Reactions: old man mavic
I bought a used Mavic 2 Pro and am very happy with it. I've only flown the mini once since buying the 2pro and I need to use the mini more. Tonight I was cleaning the drones and labelling them up and I realised quite how tiny the mini is. I was used to it when it was my only drone and after flying the 2pro so much over the last couple of weeks I'd forgotten quite how tiny the mini was.

Just remember that whilst the bigger birds are better in the wind they too suffer. I've flown the mini alongside pro's and 2pro's and they were getting warnings the same as me for high wind. Sure I had to stay closer and lower than them but they are impacted.

Reactions: old man mavic
I’m extremely underwhelmed with the MM. DJI’s software is the problem...not on the Fly app, Go 4 updates, and other annoyances & serious problems.

For my personal needs, the Mavic Pro 1 (and its variants) is very capable & inexpensive these days. I highly recommend the Mav Pro 1. I paid $320 for a used Flymore kit, with a few nicks on it.

The M2P’s flight performance and airframe is almost the same as the M1P, so its price is unjustified.

The Mavic Air is an improvement over the MM. It is portable, has a better camera. But it is loud, and sounds like a chainsaw.

The Air, Spark, and MM all suffer from using WiFi for communication. Wifi bands either are cluttered with interference in congested areas, or suffer from reduced range if 5.8Ghz band is used.

The the M2’s photo capabilities are much better than before, and the obstacle avoidance is amazing. It’s so advanced, it’s become annoying to experienced pilots.

I’ve owned & flown most of DJI’s products, and believe they make good hardware. I have had too many firmware/software problems, and prefer flying MP1 with old firmware.

This is my daily goto DJI drone. MavPro 1, completely hacked. Runs perfectly.

d06ff31121041a2e29d06a04d01cf9df.jpg

I’ve owned & flown most of DJI’s products, and believe they make good hardware. I have had too many firmware/software problems, and prefer flying MP1 with old firmware.

How old firmware? Like no Geo fencing and no alt limitation old? :)

Just curious if you fly waypoint mode and the drone is behind an obstacle and loses contact with the controller, does it RTH or continuous with the mission?

I’m extremely underwhelmed with the MM. DJI’s software is the problem...not on the Fly app, Go 4 updates, and other annoyances & serious problems.

For my personal needs, the Mavic Pro 1 (and its variants) is very capable & inexpensive these days. I highly recommend the Mav Pro 1. I paid $320 for a used Flymore kit, with a few nicks on it.

The M2P’s flight performance and airframe is almost the same as the M1P, so its price is unjustified.

The Mavic Air is an improvement over the MM. It is portable, has a better camera. But it is loud, and sounds like a chainsaw.

The Air, Spark, and MM all suffer from using WiFi for communication. Wifi bands either are cluttered with interference in congested areas, or suffer from reduced range if 5.8Ghz band is used.

The the M2’s photo capabilities are much better than before, and the obstacle avoidance is amazing. It’s so advanced, it’s become annoying to experienced pilots.

d06ff31121041a2e29d06a04d01cf9df.jpg
What happened to your gimbal?

How old firmware? Like no Geo fencing and no alt limitation old? :)

Just curious if you fly waypoint mode and the drone is behind an obstacle and loses contact with the controller, does it RTH or continuous with the mission?

Funny you mention that! Not the M1P, but a repro of my NY eve’s mission, when LEO’s were enforcing an NFZ.

I just flew an unscathed 21min M2P waypoint mission this AM, and lost all RC contact for 13:35 minutes..

1a010609a87b7989ba6c998e2689c5d5.jpg

What happened to your gimbal?

About 1:30 AM I was flying around our apartment compound, it was hit by a terrible wind gust. It hit an exterior wall, bounced, hit the pavement, and bounced again. I lost the front landing gear, the LiPo shorted out, and the metal gimbal mount snapped its mount. I literally replaced and reassembled all the parts over the weekend. The gimbal was PITA. :)

But she’ll fly inverted, and made it straight up to 2130 feet today.

M
9b9d256bd83679a46235e29272c6dffc.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50