Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!
Sign up

NFL Stadium Photography article

sar104

Dic mihi solum facta, domina.
Premium Pilot
Joined
May 27, 2017
Messages
8,077
Reaction score
8,667
Location
Los Alamos, NM

Squamer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2016
Messages
381
Reaction score
244
Age
30
Location
Boston
What are the sections he highlighted for this?- Scratch that, moral of the story is there is no flight restriction around stadiums for pre season games. Only regular season and play offs.
 

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Joined
Jun 1, 2017
Messages
2,358
Reaction score
2,907
Age
48
Location
Western NC, USA
I haven't seen this posted on the forum - it's an interesting account of interactions with security and law enforcement.

Yes it's a well written article. Vic is a true professional and a great advocate for our industry. What impresses me about Vic Moss is that he is 100% for our industry and trying to keep Govt from gross over reach but he's also 100% for safe and LEGAL sUAS operations.

What are the sections he highlighted for this?- Scratch that, moral of the story is there is no flight restriction around stadiums for pre season games. Only regular season and play offs.

And we fully expect that to change with the spotlight this article has gleamed.
 

MAvic_South_Oz

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
1,605
Reaction score
965
Age
57
Location
Adelaide, South Australia, the great southern land
Funny how the stadium security guy said he couldn't fly over the stadium (understandable as it's against FAA rules anyway, over people), but their carparks and other such property ?
Sure if people were around in the carpark, but then the footpath they flew from had varying pedestrian traffic too.

I wonder if the city administration has any ban on drones operated from their property, and if that might include footpaths ?
City councils here technically are responsible for footpaths, not sure about the US.

Good to have the spotter with him too, fend off inquiries and hand over the NOTAM info.
 

IShouldBeWorking

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2017
Messages
409
Reaction score
479
Location
Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks for sharing this! I'm usually too afraid to fly in urban areas even though I know and follow the rules. Just too nerve wracking. Good to hear this photographer was so well prepared and was able to form some good relationships with the various law enforcement and stadium management folks who approached him. He got a great shot too. I guess it gives me some confidence to fly when I know I'm within the rules, but I think I'll still just stick to locations way out in the middle of nowhere. Just more relaxing that way. Less chance of the FBI paying me a visit.
 
Last edited:

superstarpup

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2019
Messages
107
Reaction score
107
Location
CO
Probably the last year of no tfr pre season games.

Not a chance i’d show ID to an nfl security agent, much less let them take photos of it.
 

dawgpilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
541
Reaction score
395
Probably the last year of no tfr pre season games.

Not a chance i’d show ID to an nfl security agent, much less let them take photos of it.
Exactly. I'm sure the powers that be are drafting an update to the TFR language as we speak.
 

Ranger

Active Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2019
Messages
34
Reaction score
30
Location
Maine Coast
This is a really great look into how to conduct a shoot in a difficult area. The photographer did get a great shot, and further, has the ability to come back.
 

GadgetGuy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
357
This is a really great look into how to conduct a shoot in a difficult area. The photographer did get a great shot, and further, has the ability to come back.
Not if they immediately close the loop hole, because of all the publicity he generated! It will only increase the market value of the shots he got legally. Clever!
 

DavidNDC

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2017
Messages
90
Reaction score
65
Location
Washington, D.C.
One thing led to another, and the agent, head of security, and I, spent about 15 minutes talking about the different regulations, Aeroscope (the stadium loves theirs),
Interesting to see more and more Aeroscope deployments popping up. I'm glad they are finally getting the means to track down anyone that is violating airspace when a TFR is actually in place.
 

superstarpup

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2019
Messages
107
Reaction score
107
Location
CO
Interesting to see more and more Aeroscope deployments popping up. I'm glad they are finally getting the means to track down anyone that is violating airspace when a TFR is actually in place.
And even track them down when they aren’t violating a tfr.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: IShouldBeWorking

GadgetGuy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
357
Interesting to see more and more Aeroscope deployments popping up. I'm glad they are finally getting the means to track down anyone that is violating airspace when a TFR is actually in place.
Aeroscope only works with DJI drones, which, according to DJI, is around 70% of the drone market in the U.S.. The other 30% cannot be tracked by Aeroscope.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DavidNDC

DavidNDC

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2017
Messages
90
Reaction score
65
Location
Washington, D.C.
Aeroscope only works with DJI drones, which, according to DJI, is around 70% of the drone market in the U.S.. The other 30% cannot be tracked by Aeroscope.
Very true, my bad there. Perhaps what we really need is Remote ID requirements. ;)
 

GadgetGuy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
357
Very true, my bad there. Perhaps what we really need is Remote ID requirements. ;)
Now that DJI has effectively saturated the consumer drone market, they have pivoted, and are now selling Aeroscope's DJI drone tracking capability to businesses! Clever strategy!
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
69,408
Messages
803,617
Members
96,561
Latest member
b_henk