DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ Disable for Mini 2

meisterlone

Reactions
Hi there

My entire city is a blue zone. DJI is clueless and NFZ needs to go on the Mini 2. Considering how popular this drone is, I have to ask; Has someone managed to patch the NFZ database on the drone yet?

Dont fly high in a blue zone and keep out of sight and not anywhere near a plane can go sure yeah, whatever, this is Africa.

Hi there

My entire city is a blue zone. DJI is clueless and NFZ needs to go on the Mini 2. Considering how popular this drone is, I have to ask; Has someone managed to patch the NFZ database on the drone yet?

Dont fly high in a blue zone and keep out of sight and not anywhere near a plane can go sure yeah, whatever, this is Africa.
You can check NOLIMITDRONES.com, but i doubt it.

Hi there

If you read the manual and watch a YouTube video. You will DJI makes it relatively easy to unlock DFZ

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.

If you read the manual and watch a YouTube video. You will DJI makes it relatively easy to unlock DFZ
No they dont.. ?? My entire city is locked due to an airport and there is no way to unlock.

Either way who cares.. I dont want to have to unlock anything. I’m making it my mission to figure out how to delete the NFZ database on the drone itself

No they dont.. ?? My entire city is locked due to an airport and there is no way to unlock.

Either way who cares.. I dont want to have to unlock anything. I’m making it my mission to figure out how to delete the NFZ database on the drone itself
They're having a hell of a time reverse engineering any of the newer DJI drones in order to hack the NFZ. Used to be you could just replace the NFZ maps with a blank one but DJI now has that locked down with an encryption scheme that nobody seems to be able to get past. For the Mavic 2 Pro they will sell you a whole hacked motherboard that is free of NFZ, but that seems like a hassle to install, is expensive, and is no longer able to get firmware updates. I think the Phantom 4 Pro V2 is the last one nolimitdrones.com was able to successsfully hack. I have one and used their software and now NFZs are a thing of the past, I can uninstall it at any time, and it didn't void my warranty. With their software you can also boost the controllers signal, adjust parameters like top speed and handling variables. Check out their "Bird Map" to see what they can do for each drone.

I knew I'd see this issue with DJI drones. That's why I sold most of mine and bought EVO2s. I once used a phone hacking app to get rid of the No Fly Zone problem. The unapproved app was a CYDIA app, I think. It tricks the Phones operating system into thinking it is in another location of your choice. The phones data gets transferred to the Drone App. You see a map that is from the area you picked, instead of the area you are actually in. I could basically fly anywhere. Not sure if people are still doing this, but I tried it only a year ago and it worked.

Reactions: Frank Dracman
ITools, can create a fake location on your Iphone, that should also get transferred to the DJI app. You won't have a map of where you are flying, but at least you will be able to fly in No Fly Zones.

"Faking the location of an iPhone requires more effort than with Android devices because you can't simply install an app. ... Launch iTools and click the Virtual Location button. At the top of the map, type in the location you want to fake and press Enter. On a map, you'll see your GPS location move to the faked location."

They're having a hell of a time reverse engineering any of the newer DJI drones in order to hack the NFZ. Used to be you could just replace the NFZ maps with a blank one but DJI now has that locked down with an encryption scheme that nobody seems to be able to get past. For the Mavic 2 Pro they will sell you a whole hacked motherboard that is free of NFZ, but that seems like a hassle to install, is expensive, and is no longer able to get firmware updates. I think the Phantom 4 Pro V2 is the last one nolimitdrones.com was able to successsfully hack. I have one and used their software and now NFZs are a thing of the past, I can uninstall it at any time, and it didn't void my warranty. With their software you can also boost the controllers signal, adjust parameters like top speed and handling variables. Check out their "Bird Map" to see what they can do for each drone.
Interesting… i am myself fairly experienced in the field of reverse engineering. Albeit software RE, and this seems more like hardware RE is required. Any kind of decryption that is happening on the drone itself can be beat or patched out, its just a matter of finding where its happening

ITools, can create a fake location on your Iphone, that should also get transferred to the DJI app. You won't have a map of where you are flying, but at least you will be able to fly in No Fly Zones.

"Faking the location of an iPhone requires more effort than with Android devices because you can't simply install an app. ... Launch iTools and click the Virtual Location button. At the top of the map, type in the location you want to fake and press Enter. On a map, you'll see your GPS location move to the faked location."
I dont think this is a thing for the mini2, as it does all the NFZ on the drone itself where previous drones worked differently. Thats what om getting from reading posts on here. I have not tried it though.

It seems that it is not using the phone GPS, that is set from the drones GPS for location. Considering you can fly without GPS on the phone or tablet I would think the location of the phone makes no difference other then if you want to reset the home position once flying.

Remember that RTH works even if the controller and phone is off so that shows the GPS positioning is done on the drone.

There is no such thing yet as a NFZ bypass for any drones using Fly App. The last Mavic to be free of such shackles by release date is M2P. (Using DJI Go 4 app). And that was actually a great pain to unlock. Phantom Pro 4 v1 is also the last phantom to be unlockable.

For this reason a Mavic Pro is such an invaluable tool too break the law or at least bend it.

Before the drone police come, please remember that 95% of the time, an NFZ is there due to good, legal reasons and it sounds like your case belongs to the 95%.

Exchanging a NLD rooted core board is simple and requires not more than 20 minutes. Firmware upgrades work without any problems. But yes, it is not cheap. On the other hand, a Mavic Pro with an unlocked controller is a great and cost-effective option.

Somebody should setup a bounty program for this. I'll contribute $20. If the bounty gets big enough, somebody will crack it. I'm sick of not being able to fly my own drone on my own property!

Somebody should setup a bounty program for this. I'll contribute $20. If the bounty gets big enough, somebody will crack it. I'm sick of not being able to fly my own drone on my own property!
What's wrong with ticking the boxes that come up when you go to fly in a blue zone? Takes all of 10 seconds.

Reactions: SkittleBob
What's wrong with ticking the boxes that come up when you go to fly in a blue zone? Takes all of 10 seconds.
When I try to fly, I'm told that I have to get permission. I (reluctantly) enter my phone number and, I guess, they're supposed to text me? Nothing ever happens. And when I click the link that says to use a voice call I get an error that says something about them being much too busy. Am I missing something?? ?

When I try to fly, I'm told that I have to get permission. I (reluctantly) enter my phone number and, I guess, they're supposed to text me? Nothing ever happens. And when I click the link that says to use a voice call I get an error that says something about them being much too busy. Am I missing something?? ?
Odd. I put a check mark in three boxes and I'm in the air within 10 seconds.

It is important to remember... we do not own the airspace over our homes.. In the US the airspace over your home is part of the National Airspace System. Now that being said... usually flying up to 400 feet is fine. Except when it's not. My home sits on the approach for a hospital heliport over 5 miles away... my max flight elevation is 150 feet. For my purposes that's more than fine.

A friend of mine in Washington state had a similar problem to yours... he was able to get DJI to remove the restriction around his neighborhood.. I will warn you that the process DJI uses for this relief can be arduous.

It took Phil about 3 weeks of back and forth before he was able to fly over his property. But with some persistence, you should be able to get flying over your property.

As already mentioned by Desert Sands, airspace is not part of your property; this is the case in most countries. I live in a NFZ of an air force airfield. Unlocking the area around my house for my Mini 2 over a period of one year at 60m was a quick and simple task.

Here in the UK, if I want to fly in a "Controlled Traffic Region" (CTR not NFZ) I've only got to to phone the Tower at our local airport and get permission, they have always been very helpful and always accommodating. All they ask for is the weight of your drone (has to be under 7kg I believe), your name, tel. No. The postcode you intend to take off from and for how long you will be airborne.
They will then check with "Radar", give me a ref: no. and ask to call them back when I'm down. Takes all of 2 minutes. I am more than happy to do this as it allows so much more freedom of flying.
Hardly a balls ache is it?

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3