DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ Limit - just appeared on controller

MET

Reactions
I flew yesterday after not having flown my Mavic Pro Zoom since the recent update. When I turned on the controller after updating, I received the message "NFZ Limit" on the screen. I've never received this notice before. I am 7 miles from the closest small airport but 2 miles from a hospital heliport. I was able to fly the drone as before but could not get rid of the "NFZ Limit" on the screen. Any thoughts on what this means?

I live close to an airport. I might try this out today just for ***** and giggles. Not going to fly it near the airport. Just going to see if it goes into NFZ and if I can use this method to unlock. I will report back.

Reactions: bOogErSuGar75
I flew yesterday after not having flown my Mavic Pro Zoom since the recent update. When I turned on the controller after updating, I received the message "NFZ Limit" on the screen. I've never received this notice before. I am 7 miles from the closest small airport but 2 miles from a hospital heliport. I was able to fly the drone as before but could not get rid of the "NFZ Limit" on the screen. Any thoughts on what this means?
Welcome to the new world of 'No Fly Zones' [NFZ's] - introduced in recent firmware updates. It's worth while hitting YouTube and finding as much out about them as you can, because it looks like they are now part of Drone Flying.
A NFZ is not necessarily a zone where you aren't allowed to fly, but it is an area where DJI want to highlight and for you to accept your responsibility as a drone pilot. With this in mind, if you have NFZ's around where you fly, it's a good idea to get schooled up in the [simple] procedures required to accept / authorise the flight in the NFZ.

People you must consider flying with dedicated phones! I have go4 from last year and don't have to put up with any of this bollox! Once go4 app is on your phone NEVER connect to internet again! Everytime you connect you are telling DJI everything you've done and are currently doing. KEEP WIFI SWITCHED OFF!

Not sure if this works but you can check it out and lets us know.

Thanks but my issue isn’t that I can’t fly. My issues are 1) why did I get the alert “NFZ Limit” and what does it mean and 2) how do I get it off of the controller?

People you must consider flying with dedicated phones! I have go4 from last year and don't have to put up with any of this bollox! Once go4 app is on your phone NEVER connect to internet again! Everytime you connect you are telling DJI everything you've done and are currently doing. KEEP WIFI SWITCHED OFF!
What if I don't give a rip if DJI knows what I am doing? What if I don't care about the NFZ's and intend to abide by them?

Reactions: deleted member 877

They have tested a detection method for drones flying at the Atlantic City airport. It allows the operator to use rc and drone signals to detect the location of the drone and the operator. I can only see the use of this expanding. And it’s fine with me. At the time they were doing the testing according to the FAA they were getting 100 drone sightings per month from manned aircraft. And we wonder why they want to regulate drone flights?

Reactions: Shon

I have the exact same situation. I am 8 miles from a regional airport and only a grass strip and a seaplane base within the 5 mile radius so when I first got this message a few weeks ago I was confused as well. It appears that my house is under one of the runway approaches at the regional airport. Find where you are flying on the geo zone map on this web site:

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

You probably have the same situation I have. I am in the marked gray area outside the 5 mile radius so I believe the DJI GO 4 recognizes that and is giving a warning and placing a max altitude AGL restriction on my drone as an added safety measure.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Same thing happened to me. The software that shows the local small airport used to be just the 5-mile radius circle, but now includes the glide path approach to the runway that extends well beyond the 5 mile circle. It is a cone shaped area that expands outward. The NFZ is a blue color and is only a small portion of the cone but if I am in it, it says I can not take off. The cone changes color going outward away from the airport and I can fly (with caution) in that area. When flying nearby, I have not ventured into the blue NFZ not being sure how the Mavic 2 Pro will react. Not sure if I am going to try to unlock the area or just not fly into it.

Please in future think carefully about what you suggest to other drone pilots. This is EXACTLY the OPPOSITE of what ALL drone pilots should be doing. This "it's all about me" attitude will achieve nothing but lead to more and more draconian restrictions being handed down until such time as a total ban is imposed.

People, please ALWAYS keep your Maps/NoFly database updated with the latest data. It really should be a legal requirement with stiff penalties for those who do not comply.

I don't know why we as the civil people have to even discuss this . Fact is that irresponsible people with first generations of not so smart drones have caused all kind of pr and real damage and problems. Government had to act and created rules. You don't obey the rules you face consequences, it appears like just your personal choice however any public incident is bad for the community. NFZ is so minuscule space comparing to the rest, why is everyone attracted to it. It is simple, you want to expand your options - get the license. Saying that I would like to see person who didn't go over speed limit at least once in life.
USA and EU are major markets for DJI and it is only natural that they trying to shift any liability on the operator to keep pro-creatively government regulators from their back. I don't rely just on the app, before going out I cross-check with several no-fly sources to make my flight plan.

Bs! The new runway paths are outrageous in size compared to the circles giving us no place to fly.

Bs! The new runway paths are outrageous in size compared to the circles giving us no place to fly.

I don't think that's true. The 5-mile circles have been replaced by runway centerline extensions with altitude limits. Overall the restricted areas are significantly smaller and, further out from the airport, they are altitude limits rather than simply no-fly zones. It looks like a definite improvement in both actual safety and the removal of unnecessary restrictions.

Thing is, by 1 or 2 miles from a runway, aircraft is way over 500ft, closer to 1000 or more. There's no reason to extend my limitation 5 miles or more even under the glide slope.

Thing is, by 1 or 2 miles from a runway, aircraft is way over 500ft, closer to 1000 or more. There's no reason to extend my limitation 5 miles or more even under the glide slope.

No - on a 3° glide slope the altitude at one mile is 276 ft.

Thing is, by 1 or 2 miles from a runway, aircraft is way over 500ft

Good math, SAR <smile>. Most pilots I know who fly for a living just use the old 3 to 1 rule, i.e., every mile from touchdown is 300 feet AGL and that keeps you on that 3 degree glideslope when cleared for the visual. Close enough for government work I expect. :) (But, most of us cheat and take a peek at the ILS now and again.) <bigger grin>

Reactions: Sterling83
My wife despises long finals. She wants to fly at altitude to the end of the runway and then miraculously plop down to a quick stop. She says that when we do a long final approach she feels like the plane is going to fall out of the air. LOL

Yeah. You'll think they are too big once you go fly at your favorite place only to find out it is suddenly a NFZ. It makes sense you don't understand. People can't fly inside their own houses because of this unfair bs. You would understand real fast if you woke up one morning unable to take off in your own house or yard.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett