DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ - Newbie question

DavidGlennPDX

Reactions
In general I like the idea of a NFZ coded into the craft as I have no desire to risk an accident, but at the same time I am perfectly willing to disregard the law under circumstances where the application of it crosses into the foolish.
By this I mean when the possibility of the craft causing damage to aircraft is simply not there by any reasonable standard such as flying 10 feet from the ground to get a tracking shot of a person on a bike. I would imaging it would also be a good idea to have RTH set to hover to avoid the craft losing signal and rising up into possible airspace. Now, one could lose control or have a flyaway so I could see the argument that even very low flying has a risk. But what about say shooting inside a warehouse that happens to be a mile from the airport (Fly-aways just are not much of a threat to air-traffic if your in a warehouse) Low level flying/filming is for me my favorite style to shoot.

Is there a way to get DJI to unlock an area in these situations?

It seems to me that as far as the practicality low altitude flying certain levels simply cannot pose a threat to aircraft unless you takeoff from the runway yourself in front of the plane or are within say 30 feet of a helipad.

While I can use my 3DR Solo for these kind of shots if they become necessary it would be nice of instead of locking out flight altogether there was an option to have a height ceiling restriction.

Still, in general I just avoid the area.

I think DJI create a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Following concerns from American Law Enforcement and Military, this NFZ firmware updates were forced on us, who already had purchased Mavics, and now have problems flying them. I have owned and flown full size aircraft, I have no intention of impinging on any airports, airfields, or anywhere else that might cause issues with other aircraft, but since I have yet to fly higher than tree top level, or actually, 10' or 20' above tree top level to clear the trees, I do object to DJI not allowing me to take off in my back yard, as is the case right now. I have tried to get DJI to unlock my Mavic, they have been unable to do so. I am under, and about 2 miles from a class D airport, and my property is about 250' below the posted altitude of the runways. In speaking to airport personnel, they have no issues with me flying, but DJI, for whatever reason, is unable to unlock my Mavic.

I think DJI create a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Following concerns from American Law Enforcement and Military, this NFZ firmware updates were forced on us, who already had purchased Mavics, and now have problems flying them. I have owned and flown full size aircraft, I have no intention of impinging on any airports, airfields, or anywhere else that might cause issues with other aircraft, but since I have yet to fly higher than tree top level, or actually, 10' or 20' above tree top level to clear the trees, I do object to DJI not allowing me to take off in my back yard, as is the case right now. I have tried to get DJI to unlock my Mavic, they have been unable to do so. I am under, and about 2 miles from a class D airport, and my property is about 250' below the posted altitude of the runways. In speaking to airport personnel, they have no issues with me flying, but DJI, for whatever reason, is unable to unlock my Mavic.

If you can rollback your FW to .700 or .400, you can fly in your backyard.

In general I like the idea of a NFZ coded into the craft as I have no desire to risk an accident, but at the same time I am perfectly willing to disregard the law under circumstances where the application of it crosses into the foolish.
By this I mean when the possibility of the craft causing damage to aircraft is simply not there by any reasonable standard such as flying 10 feet from the ground to get a tracking shot of a person on a bike. I would imaging it would also be a good idea to have RTH set to hover to avoid the craft losing signal and rising up into possible airspace. Now, one could lose control or have a flyaway so I could see the argument that even very low flying has a risk. But what about say shooting inside a warehouse that happens to be a mile from the airport (Fly-aways just are not much of a threat to air-traffic if your in a warehouse) Low level flying/filming is for me my favorite style to shoot.

Is there a way to get DJI to unlock an area in these situations?

It seems to me that as far as the practicality low altitude flying certain levels simply cannot pose a threat to aircraft unless you takeoff from the runway yourself in front of the plane or are within say 30 feet of a helipad.

While I can use my 3DR Solo for these kind of shots if they become necessary it would be nice of instead of locking out flight altogether there was an option to have a height ceiling restriction.

Still, in general I just avoid the area.
Having RTH set to hover can sometimes be a problem. There was a post a good while ago, don't remember if it was this forum or another, a guy lost connection, the drone hovered above an apartment building until the battery level went critical so it landed. The apartment building manager wouldn't let him onto the roof to retrieve it.

would Litchi let you fly in a NFZ?
I don't know because I'm not a mavic owner, yet, and don't all the ins and outs of Litchi...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580