DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ with permission - DJI says "no"

toddellis

Reactions
i am super-heated up right now - and either need talked off the ledge - or - a mavic pro alternative. i am a part 107 licensed UAV PIC & professional videographer. i have permission from the airport tower to fly in their restricted airspace & i cannot launch because a chinese company wants to police my movements. i've spoken to the airport director, i've spoken to the tower - and now i have sent dji an email to jump through their hoops to fly in this space.

NOT flying in this space will cost me $23,000. needless to say the mavic pro is the last dji product i will purchase. btw - all my dji stuff will likely be for sale soon ... so keep an eye out for that.

sorry for the rant -- i really AM looking for a solution

i really should - but, i don't really have the time, talent or inclination to build --- do you know anything about the typhoon 4k?

Sorry I do not. I have built several quads and bought a couple before I picked up the DJI mavic and it will be my last DJI product also!! I believe if someone is irresponsible and causes accident or injury they should be punished not everybody else. There are millions or close to it of drones sold here in the US from cheap all the way to pro and barely a handful of dummies doing bad things with them. I could understand them forcing more restrictions and control if let's say if it was 10% 15% of the quad owners were causing accidents or injuries. But that is not the case. I live in a county with 1 million people and many others here on vacation and I have yet to see more than two random quads and both of the two that I had seen were out on a Causeway and they were 8 months apart.

Reactions: NinjaNut
beyond all of that (which i agree with completely) it like nissan selling me a car - then a year later turning the car off with firmware if i try to go down a particular road - even though i have permission from the property owner. bad business. i am looking for an alternative asap.

I think all the major drone builders are or have Incorporated no fly zones and even property no-fly zones and people put their name and I address on some lists.

Yuneec Typhoon H w/ Real Sense was on sale for 1199, marked down from 1900 at Best Buy. But I think that was a Black Friday in July sale

Reactions: dewster
if i'm going to have the same issue with every other brand - i don't see the point. what i'm reading agrees with Blades - they are all doing it. it seems tome that there should be some kind of "opt out" when permission is granted. i am trying to film a green house operation within sight of a small regional airport. not buzz the pentagon, ferpetesake.

Yes you will have to rollback I am on firmware .700 on my mavic and the newest go4 app.

Reactions: Ilo071
stupid question --- what about when dji wants to upgrade firmware --- just say "no"?

Reactions: Bazzam
Turn off auto update. I put my phone on airplane mode and I have a tab that I also keep in airplane mode with updates off. I also use a app called no root firewall that blocks DJI and anything else I want to block. I am on Android

drone is maybe 15% of the job. i have had great success shooting indoors with the mavic - love the small footprint --- until now.

it seems tome that there should be some kind of "opt out" when permission is granted.
And there is. If you plan your flights correctly you'll find there is a restricted zone, do an unlock request a few days in advance, and on the day of the shoot you get there and film.

That's part of your job if you use a drone on an operation. Just like planning the rest of the production would be.

BTW your title is misleading, it suggests you did request unlock but it was denied to you, which indeed would be a major issue but I've never heard about that happening so far.

i believe my point is valid. i have permission from the tower. i don't believe i should need permission from a private corporation to do my job with a product i purchased.

if i buy a car & drive over the speed limit --- i'll get a ticket - but my car does not, and should not regulate my speed.

You know the limitations before buying. I also find it hard to believe a professional videographer would use a mavic.
Countless idiots were and are routinely ignoring no fly zones and other rules. This means DJI has to police it or regulation will be far far stricter.
Nobody forced you to buy DJI and nobody is forcing you to use DJI. You agreed to their terms and conditions.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus