DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nice Places to fly legally in Atlanta area or near by areas..Please help

Sudevan

Reactions
Please advise the area or locations where I can fly legally as a recreation flier. I'm using Air map and Kittyhawk but I'm worried about the local ordinances and stuff.
If any one flying a good areas, kindly advise. Much appreciate true help. I got my Mavir Air 2 and really wanted to explore.

As you know, there are many places to fly that are legal. One of my favorite places is Tribble Mill Park near Lawrenceville, GA. There's a nice lake that makes for fun flying and great scenery.
Thank you for the reply. But am curious, Tribble mill park needs authorization to fly coz it comes under the UAS facility map in Kitty Hawk app. Kindly advise. Thanks I’m advance.

Hmm, I just used UAV Forecast and B4UFLY as my source. Unless weather is bad, I get a good to go message. I don't use Kitty Hawk. I suggest you don't either ;). I used to fly there often and have never needed to ask for forgiveness. Obviously, it's up to you.

Reactions: Sudevan
Well yeah, I just checked the B4u fly and its good to go.. interesting.. Well Thank you for your suggestion.. am gonna def try there once, before the crowd arrives may be...!!

Not sure what your status is but I'm retired and tend to go in during the week (work day) in the morning. There generally tends to be few people at that time.

Have fun.

I am over here in Sandy Springs. Most local parks permit flying. National Parks along the river are prohibited as well as State Parks. I hear that Piedmont Park is OK, but have not flown there. I find local churches with large fields, sports parks are accessible. I am also retired and therefore more flexible and I tend to fly when fewer people are around. I also fly in Columbus and the Macon area, in similar types of locations. Enjoy your safe flying.

I am over here in Sandy Springs. Most local parks permit flying. National Parks along the river are prohibited as well as State Parks. I hear that Piedmont Park is OK, but have not flown there. I find local churches with large fields, sports parks are accessible. I am also retired and therefore more flexible and I tend to fly when fewer people are around. I also fly in Columbus and the Macon area, in similar types of locations. Enjoy your safe flying.
Thank you for the suggestions...

I have also flown (last year) at Alexander Park, a few miles north west of Tribble park. I play disc golf there.
It is in the same Controlled D (400ft) space. Gwinnett County Airport. Requires online FAA authorization. I recently used the online authorization at a park intown. Easy enough to do. You will have to give up your phone number connected with the quad. I have found most city parks, located outside of Controlled space, permit flying. Consideration of others using the park is important to our hobby. Enjoy your flying.

Last edited:
I have also flown (last year) at Alexander Park, a few miles north west of Tribble park. I play disc golf there.
It is in the same Controlled D (400ft) space. Gwinnett County Airport. Requires online FAA authorization. I recently used the online authorization at a park intown. Easy enough to do. You will have to give up your phone number connected with the quad. I have found most city parks, located outside of Controlled space, permit flying. Consideration of others using the park is important to our hobby. Enjoy your flying.
Did you got your Authorization via LAANC ?

Did you got your Authorization via LAANC ?
Simply followed instructions in the DJI Fly app. It notified me of height restriction, required me to confirm flight and ask for my registered phone number. BTW: I use Airmap.

Bluebird715, I flew in Tribble Mill this morning and received a warning on my Mavic Pro 2 about getting near to controlled air space. What I don't really know is what the Mavic will do if you actually enters the space. Will it just land, RTH, or just veer away?

Bluebird715, I flew in Tribble Mill this morning and received a warning on my Mavic Pro 2 about getting near to controlled air space. What I don't really know is what the Mavic will do if you actually enters the space. Will it just land, RTH, or just veer away?
Per my understanding it won't move further, when you give the throttle. I never tried, but I remember seeing one video about that. Hope the park shots came out nice..

Reactions: wjkrysak
My experience, it will be like hitting a wall.
When I fly in Columbus, Flat Rock Park, near the airport. I am aware of altitude and space limits (airmap) and OK with that. Airport aircraft landing is sometimes over the park, due to wind conditions. I appreciate the altitude limits rather than grounding. Fly safe.

Last edited:
Thanks Sueksh and wjkrysak. I find it a pleasant place to be. I've included a few shots of the lake. I love the clouds reflection.

Attachments

• DJI_0008.JPG
    DJI_0008.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 12
  • DJI_0022.JPG
    DJI_0022.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 13
Good pictures, I see you worked it out within flight restrictions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser