DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flying and RTH

Snow Bird 1

Reactions
Hi all you now "experienced" pilots! (I am grreeeeenn with envy, you.....). Got a question re: the topic - if the Home Point is well lit and GPS is solid, the RTH should perform as it does in daytime - Yes???

i.e. Given that forward and downward sensors won't work in the dark, am hoping that downward vision system sensors are still OK for take-off and landing if well lit, including an RTH landing???

Yes -- the Mavic only needs GPS data to make its way back to the home point. Just make sure you have the RTH altitude set to the correct altitude since you won't be able to rely on the front sensors for obstacle avoidance.

Reactions: alan1975
I just tried a RTH after sunset and while it returned correctly over head, it refused to come down and just hovered. I canceled the RTH and tried again. It engaged but still would come down. The home point was my driveway and did have light on it, but not much.
It was only my second flight as I finally got Mavic only last night. Not sure if it was user settings error be RTH seems pretty dummy proof.
Not sure... but I'd like to try both night and day tests to see if that was the problem.

Last edited:
The behavior you have experienced with RTH at night is the same as me now on multiple occasions. I also saw a post where another pilot had the same situation. At times at night over a driveway the mavic won't land via RTH (descend).

It's some glitch

i done allot night flying my self as long RTH is recorder and all your gps signal are up and running you have nothing to worry about i usually do it when i have more then 10 gprs signal :)

I've had a handful of problems with the Mavic's downward sensors and flying at night. I turn them off at night because I've only every gotten false alarms.

I have been flying a P3P and now a Mavic for probably about 35 flights and I've never once used RTH, the radar or map can be used to bring your drone home just fine and there's far less reliance on the automation which arguably reduces the risk of potential issues, I would definitely recommend leaning to fly your mavic home manually and land it manually if you get the chance to practice.

Reactions: Airtex
410357f2fc68fa6102cc68db82856d08.jpg
use dji assistant

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have been flying a P3P and now a Mavic for probably about 35 flights and I've never once used RTH, the radar or map can be used to bring your drone home just fine and there's far less reliance on the automation which arguably reduces the risk of potential issues, I would definitely recommend leaning to fly your mavic home manually and land it manually if you get the chance to practice.

On the other hand, using RTH allows you to observe that behavior, so if one gets forced you know what to expect

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy