DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night time Christmas lights video - Not good

Bogey

Reactions
OK, I know this is not a good video by any means, but it's a start! I've been wanting to get my outdoor Christmas lights in one pic (can't do because of trees, etc...) so I figured when I got a drone someday, I could take a video, which I did, but...

I know there is a ton wrong with it, but baby steps right? SO, my first and biggest question, is what can I do (simplest improvement/change) to not totally blow out my concentration of white lights = Snowmen, light above Santa, etc...)

I know there is probably a TON that could be changed to improve this sort of project, but starting small, is there a simple change I can do to make it better, while obviously still not perfect! I realize a "simple" change won't fix it, but I am just flat not tech savy and I don't think my brain can handle too much more tech stuff right now, so I'm looking for the "dumbed down old guy version"!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmn126e_lQY

Thanks!!

Hey, not bad! You accomplished what you set out to do.

Did you put up all those lights?

Reactions: Bogey
LOL, that is the only satisfaction I take away = OK, I do have a video of my lights, even if it's not a good video, it's still a video showing the lights!! LOL

Yes, the lights go all the way around the house as well as the larger shop (can't see that in the video) as well as 150' of lights between my neighbor and us, and then a few hundred feet on two of my neighbors fences - one is an elderly widow and the other neighbor is a down south snow bird, so I kind of light up the neighborhood to some degree! (thank goodness for LED light$)

LOL, that is the only satisfaction I take away = OK, I do have a video of my lights, even if it's not a good video, it's still a video showing the lights!! LOL

Yes, the lights go all the way around the house as well as the larger shop (can't see that in the video) as well as 150' of lights between my neighbor and us, and then a few hundred feet on two of my neighbors fences - one is an elderly widow and the other neighbor is a down south snow bird, so I kind of light up the neighborhood to some degree! (thank goodness for LED light$)
Good job with the lights and seriously, I think the video is pretty darn good also, unless there is something I can’t see.

Technically it looks fine, and over time you will hone your skills as a filmmaker, concerning content, timing, editing etc. You’ll learn things such as noise control, white balance (although this looks good here).

If you are interested, there are TONS of instructive videos on YouTube for honing your skills.

That’s the beauty of this thing. We can spend a lifetime mastering it!

Last edited:
Reactions: lightbg and Bogey
Thanks you. I've done 23 flights since I got my MP about a month ago, and I've practiced my nighttime "route" several times in daylight, but once out there in the dark, hands frozen and NERVOUS, well, I wasn't quite as ready as I thought.

I just washed out those white light decorations so badly...... :0(

OK, is there a simple (again, that word for slow people...) editing program for video?

As always, MANY thanks!!!!! I can't believe how much I read this forum - I've learned a lot so far from you experts!

Bogey

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Thanks you. I've done 23 flights since I got my MP about a month ago, and I've practiced my nighttime "route" several times in daylight, but once out there in the dark, hands frozen and NERVOUS, well, I wasn't quite as ready as I thought.

I just washed out those white light decorations so badly...... :0(

OK, is there a simple (again, that word for slow people...) editing program for video?

As always, MANY thanks!!!!! I can't believe how much I read this forum - I've learned a lot so far from you experts!

Bogey
I use Primere Elements, although there are cheaper and simpler programs out there. There are several threads on here regarding what others are using. Give it a search.

OK, I know this is not a good video by any means, but it's a start! I've been wanting to get my outdoor Christmas lights in one pic (can't do because of trees, etc...) so I figured when I got a drone someday, I could take a video, which I did, but...

I know there is a ton wrong with it, but baby steps right? SO, my first and biggest question, is what can I do (simplest improvement/change) to not totally blow out my concentration of white lights = Snowmen, light above Santa, etc...)

I know there is probably a TON that could be changed to improve this sort of project, but starting small, is there a simple change I can do to make it better, while obviously still not perfect! I realize a "simple" change won't fix it, but I am just flat not tech savy and I don't think my brain can handle too much more tech stuff right now, so I'm looking for the "dumbed down old guy version"!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmn126e_lQY

Thanks!!
It seems you prepared us for the worst but I would say the video turned out pretty good.

Since you were looking for "the one simple thing" what comes to mind for low light situations, with the Mavic is this:

And this is counter-intuitive. Shoot manual and don't allow your ISO to go over 400. The sensor in this camera gets very noisy beyond that. Your shutter speed will be quite low so keep your movements slow.

Expose for the highlights so they're not blown out but let the shadows fall where they may. Shoot before it gets completely dark and make use of that fading evening light.

Reactions: Bogey and lightbg
The only thing I would be concerned with is that the YouTube goonies don't whack you for using a copyrighted sound track. Otherwise I don't think you could expect much more....it looks better than mine:

Thanks - that helps! I tried taking "pics" and I did up the ISO slightly, but I think I had my shutter too slow, so after those results, I went back to full auto for the video! :oops:

As for the music, I had it in my library so I didn't think anything about it - YIKES!

Appreciate all the comments!

Reactions: lightbg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots