DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Course Lock on Mavic 3

Jake Fortune

Reactions
Does anyone know of a work around for course lock on the Mavic 3? I need to fly full speed in one direction while filming backwards, then panning forwards as my subject passes me. Without the ability to do this, the Mavic 3 is useless for me. I need full video, not hyper lapse.
Active Track does not seem to follow my particular subject very well.

Thanks.

Yes, but as I pan, the drone changes direction. I need to fly in a straight line. Am I missing something?
Yes it will because cruise control only maintains the speed, you will have to manually pan etc to get your shot. Cruise control gives you the option to not worry about maintaining speed so that you can work the camera and angles to get that perfect shot/video. Did you know that if you hold your finger on the RC screen and move your finger left/right the drone camera will move that direction so without having to pan you can manoeuvre the camera to view sideways.

Yes it will because cruise control only maintains the speed, you will have to manually pan etc to get your shot. Cruise control gives you the option to not worry about maintaining speed so that you can work the camera and angles to get that perfect shot/video. Did you know that if you hold your finger on the RC screen and move your finger left/right the drone camera will move that direction so without having to pan you can manoeuvre the camera to view sideways.
I did NOT know that. Thank you. Headed outside to try it now!

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but when I try to pull the camera towards the subject, active track enables and the drone changes direction.

Does anyone know of a work around for course lock on the Mavic 3? I need to fly full speed in one direction while filming backwards, then panning forwards as my subject passes me. Without the ability to do this, the Mavic 3 is useless for me. I need full video, not hyper lapse.

Thanks.
Have you thought of using the new waypoint function? You can set direction, speed, camera angle etc.

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but when I try to pull the camera towards the subject, active track enables and the drone changes direction.
Play around with it, I use it a lot. This feature was possible since the Mavic 2 Pro. Just have to firmly place your finger on the screen, then you will see a white line showing the angle the camera will be turning to either the left or right and will have 0 in the centre of the line

Have you thought of using the new waypoint function? You can set direction, speed, camera angle etc.
I tried using waypoints, but you have to set the camera angle ahead of time. Any attempt to simply pan with stick inputs changes the course of the drone.

Play around with it, I use it a lot. This feature was possible since the Mavic 2 Pro. Just have to firmly place your finger on the screen, then you will see a white line showing the angle the camera will be turning to either the left or right and will have 0 in the centre of the line
Thanks! I'll be trying again today as I have a video to make. I'm taking the Mavic Pro (with Course Lock) with me just in case I can't get this to work.

Went out and tried the finger control on the touch screen. The camera will swing about 3 degrees left or right of center and that's it. The aircraft does not yaw to follow the position of my finger on the screen.

I was curious about how slowly I could fly and still engage cruise control and it seems to work at 1.5 mph for a course locked flight. While in cruise control it easily pans and can be moved up or down in elevation. Next I need to see if cruise control can be used to get a slow steady pan.

I was curious about how slowly I could fly and still engage cruise control and it seems to work at 1.5 mph for a course locked flight. While in cruise control it easily pans and can be moved up or down in elevation. Next I need to see if cruise control can be used to get a slow steady pan.
Fast or slow, if you try to pan, the direction of the flight will be changed.

Have you tried these settings on the 2 waypoints?

Heading -> Manual
Gimbal Tilt -> Manual

I believe you will have full control of the facing direction and gimbal tilt while the drone is on its path. I remembered testing it out a few flights ago.

Hope it is what you are looking for. =)

Heading -> Manual
Gimbal Tilt -> Manual

I believe you will have full control of the facing direction and gimbal tilt while the drone is on its path. I remembered testing it out a few flights ago.

Thanks for trying. I make videos of aircraft taking off and landing with the drone. I have my commercial license and permission from the airport. I take great care to ensure there won't be an incursion to the runway. Course lock made that possible by setting the course 5 degrees away from centerline. I then start in front of the aircraft with the drone pointed towards it, and start flying backwards (forward in course lock) in the direction of take off. As the plane passes me, I rotate the drone and continue to chase it until it is airborne.
I tried your suggestion just the other day. I'm really trying to not send the Mavic 3 Classic back. The ADSB detected the aircraft I was filming and I thought I had a runaway drone. It buggered out of the way, even though there was no chance of a collision. I didn't get a definitive answer if waypoints would work with manual settings or not.
As an aside, I tried to make a video flying between two rows of grape vines at a vineyard. I set it up in Sport Mode to turn off the sensors and used waypoints so I could duplicate the video over and over during the coming year for a Timelapse. The drone was fine while I was creating the waypoints, but refused to fly the course, even in Sport Mode. The sensors appear to be turned on while using waypoints. I checked in settings that sensors were off, but the Mavic would not fly the course, giving a warning that sensors detected an obstacle.

Thanks.
There is a course lock function under the Hyperlapse mode. I have never tried it but maybe that will accomplish your needs.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
There is a course lock function under the Hyperlapse mode. I have never tried it but maybe that will accomplish your needs.
Yes, but that is ONLY for Hyperlapse. I need to make a straight video. Thanks for trying though. DJI does not have a workaround. They have passed it off to the engineers. Haven't heard anything for a while though, so not holding onto much hope.

Reactions: JoelP and 3rdof5

Heading -> Manual
Gimbal Tilt -> Manual

I had the same issue as Jake, and your suggestion is the most useful I have found. Needs 2 waypoints, when in flight, I can not deviate from the altitude, but I can modify from the set speed if needed. I can rotate 360º, and stay on the course to waypoint #2, as well as having full control of the gimble tilt. One just needs to be sure to set waypoint 2 well beyond the area that needs to be shot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots