DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Fly Zone updates

methaldehyde

Reactions
Hi from Hobart.

Any problems caused by not updating the No Fly Zone database in the app?

There are a couple of heliports within 5ks and an airport further away (Hobart 'International' Airport) - may be 10kms.

I haven’t allowed the updates for the last six months and everything seems fine. While I may be wrong, but I do check for TFR’s and ATIS if flying near controlled airspace. Please note that I do most of my flying in a rural setting. When in Southern California I make use of LAANC maps and clearances. The DJI info has a number of private fields and heliports that are not active at all scattered around Northern California.

I haven’t allowed the updates for the last six months and everything seems fine. While I may be wrong, but I do check for TFR’s and ATIS if flying near controlled airspace. Please note that I do most of my flying in a rural setting. When in Southern California I make use of LAANC maps and clearances. The DJI info has a number of private fields and heliports that are not active at all scattered around Northern California.
Thanks. I won't update then.

Never, ever, update that NFZ database! I've gone to great lengths to ensure the DJI GO App never has access to the web from my phone with exception to Mapbox servers (the maps).

I've taken every update available. I don't really understand the point of not updating, since DJI has never stopped me from flying somewhere that I was legally permitted to fly at anyway. (sometimes I have to self-unlock, but that's an easy process too)

I've taken every update available. I don't really understand the point of not updating, since DJI has never stopped me from flying somewhere that I was legally permitted to fly at anyway. (sometimes I have to self-unlock, but that's an easy process too)
Same here. Always update, never had a problem. Use the CASA approved apps to check.

Same here. Always update, never had a problem. Use the CASA approved apps to check.
I find the apps/web enabled info, confusing.. All the info tells me not to fly within 5.5k of an airport, yet I'm almost 10k away, the mavic mini will fly but alerts me and asks me to accept responsibility, but the ok2fly info tells me that even the local parks (without any notice restrictions) are no fly zones due to an operating tower. I mean, I'd have to get well up there to be in the way, but from the ok2fly app, seems like I won't have anywhere to fly the drone, which is a let down.

the built in nfz info doesn't have such restrictions... very confusing how this all works, and I've only had the drone 1 day. :/

I find the apps/web enabled info, confusing.. All the info tells me not to fly within 5.5k of an airport, yet I'm almost 10k away, the mavic mini will fly but alerts me and asks me to accept responsibility, but the ok2fly info tells me that even the local parks (without any notice restrictions) are no fly zones due to an operating tower. I mean, I'd have to get well up there to be in the way, but from the ok2fly app, seems like I won't have anywhere to fly the drone, which is a let down.

the built in nfz info doesn't have such restrictions... very confusing how this all works, and I've only had the drone 1 day. :/
You are 100% correct - it is confusing, and the best thing to do is err on the side of caution.

Doesn't Ok2Fly have a disclaimer that it's not to be used as the determining source of where to fly? I flew recently at Evans Head (Airforce Beach) which seemed to check out, but that might even change day to day. Right now if I look it seems to be in an exclusion area (limited use at best).

I went back to Evans Head not long after, and had the drone in the car but was on the south side of the river (around midday). Two light aircraft flew past the headland quite low, well under what I believed to be their minimum altitude (300 ft?). I guess it wouldn't matter who was right or wrong, a drone vs a single prop light aircraft could have disastrous effects.

Where about in Perth are you. Provided you are not near the airport or Jandakot there are not too many restrictions. In WA you can fly in National parks. Local councils may have regulations about flying from their parks but these are debatable. I live in Mandurah and the council here had legal advise that they do not have the powers to restrict you.

Do not take any notice of the restrictions on your drone - they are hopelessly wrong for Australia. Get one of the CASA approved packages and use that, though they too tend to be conservative. If you really want to be sure register with CASA and use aircheck but it can be confusing

If you are having trouble taking off (even starting up) within the 5.5k radius of an airport (which you are legally able to do with the Mavic Mini as it is sub 250 grams), just start the drone under / in your house where there is no GPS signal, then fly the drone out the door. It will then pick up the GPS signals, update its home point, then fly normally. I have plenty of space under my house, so I start the drone there. All I wanted to do was fly it around the back yard for a flight test and some garden photos, but the software kept on preventing me from even starting (I am near Lismore airport) until I discovered this work around.

If you are having trouble taking off (even starting up) within the 5.5k radius of an airport (which you are legally able to do with the Mavic Mini as it is sub 250 grams), just start the drone under / in your house where there is no GPS signal, then fly the drone out the door. It will then pick up the GPS signals, update its home point, then fly normally. I have plenty of space under my house, so I start the drone there. All I wanted to do was fly it around the back yard for a flight test and some garden photos, but the software kept on preventing me from even starting (I am near Lismore airport) until I discovered this work around.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.
In the U.S. I have FAA clearance to fly in a 4 square mile area that encompasses part of 2 different airport NFZs. It lasts for 2 years and is renewable. No coat. Easy to get... the NFZs intersect and encompass my TO spot. Legal and easy
Can you not request clearances beyond the simple ones granted through your pilot status?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000