DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No image on smart controller

I'm assuming that you mean the screen is blank in the go 4 app? As in no camera view? Could you share more details? Screen shots?

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
You can take a screenshot by pressing and holding the back button and then pressing the camera button... If I recall.

Another thought is to connect the SC to a screen using HDMI out and see if you see an image...

Power off drone and SC. Then power on drone first then SC. See if you get video.

Grey screen on start up is a known issue with SC. I get it once and a while. Maybe once in 20 power ups. Only on start up. Never during flight

If you still get it after power cycling both devices you may need to contact DJI.

Paul C

just unboxed my new Mavic 2, updated all firmware on mavic and smart controller. Everything seems okay, but there is no video display on the smart controller at all ... just gray screen. Do not want to attempt takeoff like that. Anything I'm doing wrong? I read the manual!! Thanks in advance.

Brand new controller: I have this issue quite often and I always turn on the drone first. Powercycling the controller fixes the issue but sometimes it takes a couple powercycles. Someone said this is a known issue and the problem has been around for quite some time so I assume it will never be fixed. Is there any official acknowledgement from MAVIC?

Reactions: brent10
It happens when you power on the drone first sometimes. Did you try powering both the SC and drone off, then powering on the SC, then the drone and seeing if you have a normal screen. If you are getting a grey screen during flight, that is a totally different issue and odds are you need to contact DJI about the controller.

Paul C

It happens when you power on the drone first sometimes. Did you try powering both the SC and drone off, then powering on the SC, then the drone and seeing if you have a normal screen. If you are getting a grey screen during flight, that is a totally different issue and odds are you need to contact DJI about the controller.

Paul C
Thanks Paul. I will try that over the next few weeks. I'm going for my Italian License next weeks, so hopefully I have no issues. Either way, I will update the thread when I'm back.

I have the smart controller that came in a package with AC as well and I've seen the same things a couple times. Usually had to reboot both the SC and the AC to resolve. Latest firmware installed on both.

Reactions: Chiuki
Hi everyone. Had the same no-camera-Image problem. Just wanted to share an additional idea I got from an old post that fixed it for me. After 3 reboots of both the controller and Mavic, no Joy. On the fifth I re- inserted the smart controller SD card and everything worked fine. It is probably worth noting that the smart controller Prompted me to change my memory to the SD card on my third reboot. Perhaps this has something to do with the way the controller works with the SD card? Just a guess.

Reactions: chuck1026
Hi everyone. Had the same no-camera-Image problem. Just wanted to share an additional idea I got from an old post that fixed it for me. After 3 reboots of both the controller and Mavic, no Joy. On the fifth I re- inserted the smart controller SD card and everything worked fine. It is probably worth noting that the smart controller Prompted me to change my memory to the SD card on my third reboot. Perhaps this has something to do with the way the controller works with the SD card? Just a guess.

For what it's worth, I've never used an SD card in my Smart Controller and I've encountered this same no video/camera feed problem. ?‍♂️

Yeah, that helps narrow it down to the video caching being one of the possible culprits. (Assuming you’re caching your video). Thank for the intel.

Yeah, that helps narrow it down to the video caching being one of the possible culprits. (Assuming you’re caching your video). Thank for the intel.

Nope. I don't even shoot video; I strictly do photos. I have the video cache function turned off. So... maybe that helps narrow it down more? Or maybe makes it more perplexing?

While I am no help to this problem....I'm commenting to see updates.

I'm getting ready to act on a Mavic 2Pro and have been trying to decide if I should get the SC..or maybe an iPad Mini. (I currently fly a Mavic Mini with either an iPhone or older iPad.)

When I read about issues like these, it makes me second guess a SC. I know it will annoy me if I have to restart it....

Dang Langcpht, just when I thought I was getting somewhere! Oh well, good info either way. Thank you.

Matt, maybe someone with more stick time than me can give you a better gauge, but it’s happened to me once in about 20 power ups (just got it a couple weeks ago).

While I am no help to this problem....I'm commenting to see updates.

I'm getting ready to act on a Mavic 2Pro and have been trying to decide if I should get the SC..or maybe an iPad Mini. (I currently fly a Mavic Mini with either an iPhone or older iPad.)

When I read about issues like these, it makes me second guess a SC. I know it will annoy me if I have to restart it....

I'm a very amateur pilot and I don't have much stick time on the Smart Controller. I bought it mainly for 3 reasons and I think for those reasons it does its job well. The weird video connection thing aside (which I think very few people experience in the grand scheme) I think it's an excellent piece of tech. Some people will say it's overpriced but I think it's moderately priced. Figure that you are getting a controller, a mid-spec Android "smartphone", plus big batteries, cooling fans, a super-bright HD screen and a much nicer build quality. I sold my stock controller for about $150 so some of the expense was recouped.

I bought the Smart Controller because:
  • I hated plugging my phone in, and messing with the cable which seemed to not work/fail to connect about 1 out of 10 times
  • My phone was not nearly bright enough to see in daylight
  • Ease of use; it's much much simpler, faster and easier
I'm glad I bought it and I don't COMPLETELY regret getting it but the problem with the "gray screen" is definitely a bummer. It's not consistent which makes troubleshooting hard, but the upside is that most of the time it's totally fine. A lot of people report SD card-related fixes. Once upon a time the card in my drone was corrupted and Windows prompted me to run the repair on it, which recovered all the data. Perhaps it's still a bit screwy; I might replace it anyway and see if that gets me anywhere...

Reactions: Lionfish
Thanks! I was seriously considering a SC for the reasons langcpht mentions. I suppose part of my concern is my distain for Android. I'm so used to the Apple iOS that perhaps its just concern about something unknown.

I don't think the SC's price is completely out of touch, all things considered. I do see the concern some have made about the batteries not being easily replaced, its no different than many other devices.

Thanks! I was seriously considering a SC for the reasons langcpht mentions. I suppose part of my concern is my distain for Android. I'm so used to the Apple iOS that perhaps its just concern about something unknown.

Fair point, honestly. Everybody has their own preferences. I personally don't want to deal with iOS in any capacity because I believe in having freedom of choice with my software and hardware. ?‍♂️

But realistically, coming from somebody who has been using "pure" Google Android since the Nexus One, I don't think you have much to worry about. The GO4 app is identical in function and layout between Android and iOS. The Android that runs on the smart controller is drastically pared down from a full-blown smartphone OS. You'll almost never actually interact with it, it really just serves as a foundation and launcher for the GO4 app. If you hate it you can always sell it or return it if you bought it from somebody with a generous return policy.

But changing gears, and getting back on subject: Does anybody have additional details or updates about the problem outlined in the top post? Any solid (or semi-solid) fixes or workarounds besides "keep rebooting" ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+